Hacking Need some help please.

bakedj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Decided I have no choice but to cave and buy a USB HD, as I've never had any need for an external drive, I don't know much about them, and even less when it comes to whats needed for this. So, is anything wrong with this one? Or will it work just fine for storing and loading back ups?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus.../catid.13092800

Let me first say that yes, I do in fact realize all the information I need is on this site and various others on the web. I beg some kind soul to please help me, though. I have been reading and watching videos for like the past 6 hours and am no closer to getting this thing to load my backups than I was when it was still in the box. I'll try to make this simple and provide what little knowledge you'll need to properly inform me.

What I have:

1. Brand New Wii, version 4.2u
2. Brand New Nintendo SD Memory card
3. Numerous other sd cards of various sizes.

What I DON'T have:

1. Wii internet connection
2. USB storage device (USB flash drive, hard drive, etc..)
3. Apparently, enough intelligence to store and sort through the massive amount of information I've come across.

What I need:

Clear and simple step-by-step instructions on soft modding my wii 4.2u without the use of an internet connection on the wii, or any usb stuff. All I'm working with here, unfortunately, are SD cards and lots of DVD-r's, also, my dvd burner is generic enough that no matter what I try I'm not able to change the book type with ImgBurn. Again, I'm really sorry to ask this, it's just that I've come to the point that I'm completely lost in the mound of information.
wacko.gif

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi bakedj

all the info and links you're gonna need are here:
http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below

like it says in the guide:
The steps seem repetitive & similar at times, but they are not!
Guide is completely offline.

oh, and if your wii is 'brand new' you wont be needing those dvd-r's
it will be fitted with D3-2 drive which wont run backups
mad.gif

good luck

GPWeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't think your going to be too popular with this question.

Can you let me know If you have taken any steps with your Wii? Bannerbomb or homebrew channel. The only reason I ask is that you already seems to be at the stage where you are burning discs. You mentioned that you have no internet connection. Does this mean only your Wii? If you have no internet connection at all how do you intend to obtain the files you need to hack your Wii (Bannerbomb, hackmii installer, CIOS installer, Backup loader, Wad manager etc?)

bakedj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha. Yeah, I know. I'm sure I'll wake up dead.

I just don't have an internet connection on my wii yet. I've gotten bannerbomb and homebrew channel, also got neogamma r8 (pretty sure its r8) but whenever I tried starting it from the homebrew channel it would just freeze my wii, guessing thats probably to do with not correctly installing a cIOS or something along those lines.

So if this D3-2 drive is going to prevent me from playing backups off of dvd, what storage route would you guys suggest? Cheap and easy are big positives for me. =p lol

Edit: I got my Wii off of ebay, so I'm not exactly for sure how old it is, but it Was in its original packaging and is 4.2.. for only $150 though, they may have had it for a while, are all 4.2s D3-2 and if not is there some way I could check and see if it is a D3-2 drive or not?

Edit 2: Lol. Keep remembering small little things, and this detail may help, may not.. probably not, but worth mentioning just in case, it's a white one, not one of the new black ones.

All right, found the site to calculate the chances of a wii having the d3-2 drive or not. I think I got lucky.

" * There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D4 on a smaller drive board.
* And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip.
* Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip."

"I think."

GPWeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right then. If you already have the homebrew channel installed thats a start. I forgot about the new drives not playing backups. Are you able to run any other apps through the homebrew channel wad manager emulators etc? I would suggest following the guide provided in the other post (for CIOS installation only). You will obviously need to consider buying a USB HD for USB loading (This is the best method anyway) If you want to test your system before spending money on a HD you can use a micro SD card with a USB connector plugged into the left hand USB port of your Wii. If you have Wii sports or Wii play they are such small games they wil easily fit onto a 1GB card. This way you can be sure your system fully modded. It might also be worth trying different loaders just incase you Neo Gamma is a dodgy download

bakedj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking at that guide fatherjack linked to as well as the one it links to, I think I might just have a handle on it now. I just needed some focus I suppose, and those two seem well worthy of the attention. Guess now all I can do is get to modding and hope I don't have a D3-2 drive chip and if so, give in and buy myself a nice USB HDD. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Head isn't spinning as much now. lol

GPWeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok glad your ok now. Even if you can play backups I really would suggest you consider USB loading. There are so many advantages.

quicker loading times
the loader will rip games straight to your HD
Newer games AP protection is much easier to get around compared to disc loading
Ease of use, no changing discs and finding a place to store them
For the price of 1 game you can have your entire collection stored in one place with no cahnce of scratching or losing discs.

On a side note you can also use your HD to store movies and music turning your Wii into a very reasonable media centre.

bakedj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting the question up here in case you don't want to read all that gibberish.

"So, my question is, anyway to load up a homebrew app with just my good ole 'nintendo wii memory card' (read as SanDisk for Wii 2gb SD card) and neogamma that will be sufficient enough to test rather my wii is softmodded correctly?"

I'm back. All right, I think I have everything in working order. If so, I most likely have a d3-2 drive. When I try to load a backup with neogamma it gives me the old dvd err(1178), report 20xxxxxx message. As I'm newb though, I can't say that for sure.

I followed this http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide

Had no problems with any of it, except for one bit, at first my neogamma was showing up as ios36 or whatever and not ios249, slept (finally) on it and fixed it with dop-mii when I woke up though, so I believe that is fine.

Seeing as how I live in a very small town with just about the crappiest wal-mart anyone could ever hope to encounter, I'm going to have to travel a good thirty miles at least just to get a usb attachment for a sd card, possibly further to get a decent usb hdd. Can always order one, but would like to confirm that my wii is modded properly before dishing out the extra cash.

So, my question is, anyway to load up a homebrew app with just my good ole 'nintendo wii memory card' (read as SanDisk for Wii 2gb SD card) and neogamma that will be sufficient enough to test rather my wii is softmodded correctly?

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bakedj said:
Decided I have no choice but to cave and buy a USB HD, as I've never had any need for an external drive, I don't know much about them, and even less when it comes to whats needed for this. So, is anything wrong with this one? Or will it work just fine for storing and loading back ups?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus.../catid.13092800
it'll work like a dream, i'm using the 2tb version right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER