Need some direction/advice/information about hacking WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Oris, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    So, I've been wanting to hack my sister's WiiU, but she and I both have a few concerns. She's worried about me bricking the system. I like to think I'm unlikely to do that since I've successfully hacked my original Wii and my O3DS and N3DS systems without any hickups. (Took me forever to get through the process, but I'm very slow and careful.) What I'm worried about is if I'll be safe being online, either just browsing or playing say Smash 4 or Pokken. I don't want her console getting banned because I was an idiot. lol So, is there anything I need to know going into this, or a recommended guide I should follow that someone could point me to? The WiiU is sitting on ver. 5.5.1 US right now. While I wait for responses, I'll keep researching.

2. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
  3. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
  4. QuarkTheAwesome

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Should do. To sum up, there's no brick risk atm; retail games still work; USB doesn't work in homebrew; you can get banned if you start using game mods online.

rw-r-r_0644 likes this.
  5. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    I see... If I pirate a game or use a backup of something like my old copy of Skyward Sword, I won't get banned? Assuming you can play backups from external harddrive, that is. Never intended to cheat for games I'd play online, though. I'd rather just git gud.

6. QuarkTheAwesome

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Nope; it's only game modification that has got people in hot water so far. Keep in mind that this includes the Octoling hack (you'll know when you see it). Other than that, Nintendo is pretty cool with not banning people.

CreeperMario likes this.
  7. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    Okay, sweet. Yeah, I don't intend to play many games online, and use mods for even fewer. Which reminds me... Are there any custom Virtual Console versions of Banjo Kazooie?

8. QuarkTheAwesome

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    All the Virtual Console titles can be injected with your own ROMs; compatibility's a bit shaky but it's worth trying. While a bit weirdly written, this post should help you out. There's also a thread around here somewhere for Turbo games.

9. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    Okay, sweet. Thanks so much for the help. If I have any more questions, I'll post them to that thread that you linked me at the beginning. :)

CreeperMario and QuarkTheAwesome like this.
  10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Just some points to clear up a bit after reading through this thread.

You cannot play game backups online with loadiine. Once you get everything running it's only local play that you can enjoy. Disc games can still be played like normal and work fine online.

Your games run from internal SD on loadiine. There is no external HD backup loading yet.

The hack is temporary and must be run everytime you boot the wii u. There is no risk of "bricking" your wii u because the kexploit is only active for the current session. Once you reboot you have a normal Wii U again

11. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    Oh, so it's like a softhack like the PSP has? Does it take a long time to start up the hack each time you reset the system? Also, what's the largest SD card I can use to play games on the WiiU?

12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The PSP has a custom firmware which is permanent so I'm not sure I follow.

No its a couple clicks and you're "hacked". I think 256gb is largest SD confirmed working. I have a 128gb and I have a ton of games on there so I wouldn't worry.

13. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    My PSP has a "temporary" Custom Firmware it can load up from the SD card that lasts as long as the system is turned on. lol I'll have to look into a really big SD card then.

14. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    PSP or PSP Vita?

15. Oris
    OP

Oris Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2013
    United States
    Original PSP. lol