Hacking Need help with R4i Gold firmware...

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I just downloaded the Wood R4i Gold firmware (1.23) and after I boot the DSi up and subsequently select the R4i in the cartidge box the screen goes black and the following text appears:

"An error has occured. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

What's the problem? I'm using a 2GB Kingston Micro SD and alternatively a new 2GB Verbatim Micro SD and this is the box of my R4i Gold:

74f7a13022b04a8d8f7f171d1be974950_1.jpg

Please, I would very much appreciate if anyone could tell me how to get the firmware working. I love Wood R4, it was the best whilst I had my old DS Lite. If nothing works then... okay, just tell me the best firmware that'll allow me to play Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded, please >.<

Thanks in advance.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that error is related to the card not working on the DSi, not the Wood menu (which as Stevetry said, won't work).
Most likely, your DSi is on v1.4.1 and the card is, as per the label, v1.4 only.

The majority of crappy R4 clones, all R4s that aren't 1:1 clones of the original, are not update-able. They're produced by people who's only interest is to get $5~10 out of your pocket and then move on to the next sap, offering little to no support or updates. Their solution to the 1.4.1 update is the same solution they had for the 1.4 update: buy a new card.
Maybe this time you'll do some research before buying a card and get one that has support for a menu that is consistently updated.

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I realize now that I did zero research but... Is this it? I just wasted money on this R4i Gold and that's it? There's no way around it, at all?

I don't wanna sound annoying but this is kind of shocking. If there's anything I could do in order to get a different firmware that'll work, that would be good enough for me.

Sorry for being a n00b... But I'll be real happy if someone can help me. o.o

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know it's my fault, no need to remind me, I'm here looking for an alternate solution to throwing it away.

What's curious is, before I uploaded the Wood R4i Gold firmware, my friend had been given a firmware by the guys who sold me the R4i Gold (My friend went to pick it up for me) and loaded it to one of my mem cards. This firmware was an odd menu with anime backdrops (as far as I can recall) and it had Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on it, playing perfectly no less...

I decided to change to Wood R4i Gold due to it not being able to play Kingdom hearts RE: Coded and Ghost Trick, but now I get that error...

My lingering doubt is: Why did it work a few hours ago with a different firmware and now it won't work with anything (Beside that one firmware from before) else? It's mind-boggling. I don't quite understand what the problem is... other than the simple digit (.1) that one of you mentioned, since it differs to the "V1.4" label on the R4i Gold box.

What do you think?

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
You updated your Nintendo to 1.4.1 and killed your crap card with that. That's what I think.

No matter how much you're writing here: This card will never work again on your DSi.

Never. Nerver. Never. Never. Nerver. Never.

Got it?
moogle.gif

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
don't listen to etalon, he dosen't know anything and alway thinks his opinion is fact

easy answer is, your R4 clone CAN NOT use wood firmware

Your R4 clone does not work on the DSi's 1.4.1 firmware, so if you updated your dsi, than your only option is to buy a new cart, unless you have a ds lite than you can still use your R4 on the DS lite

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:
don't listen to etalon, he dosen't know anything and alway thinks his opinion is facts

Alright. My R4i Gold is a clone, I guess I'll have to live with that.

It won't be able to use Wood Firmware, it's really a pity as I wanted it...

So uhm, kind sir, is there any other firmware that I'll be able to use without the black screen with the white text appearing? I'd really like to play 999, Trauma Center 2, KH Re: Coded and many others...

Edit: F*ck... I guess that really is it. I'm gonna try returning this cart tomorrow and see if I can't get a different one. I think they only have R4s there... is there any you would recommend to me with my current system?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Etalon was right in this case.

There's no upgrade for the cart (the "firmware" you think of as the system files is NOT the actual firmware, that's known as an OS) and no way to downgrade your DS.

You bought a clone that will not work on your DS ever again.

Do they sell ANYTHING that's not an R4 clone, at all?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
don't listen to etalon, he dosen't know anything and alway thinks his opinion is fact

Your R4 clone does not work on the DSi's 1.4.1 firmware, so if you updated your dsi, than your only option is to buy a new cart, unless you have a ds lite than you can still use your R4 on the DS lite
Funny... cuz that's EXACTLY what Eatlon said.
But I'm sure I'm just being negative (as usual according to you) and most likely flaming (by stating facts)... but hey! It's your lie and you can tell it however you want.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spyromv said:
QUOTE said:
don't listen to etalon, he dosen't know anything and alway thinks his opinion is facts

Alright. My R4i Gold is a clone, I guess I'll have to live with that.

It won't be able to use Wood Firmware, it's really a pity as I wanted it...

So uhm, kind sir, is there any other firmware that I'll be able to use without the black screen with the white text appearing? I'd really like to play 999, Trauma Center 2, KH Re: Coded and many others...

Edit: F*ck... I guess that really is it. I'm gonna try returning this cart tomorrow and see if I can't get a different one. I think they only have R4s there... is there any you would recommend to me with my current system?
probably you won't be able to return it if you cant sell it and save up for and r4i gold wood supported an ackard or a scds2

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
RoMee said:

lol. You just repeated what I already said. Are you drunk again?
blush.gif

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm going to go return it and get another one today.

Let's say, hypothetically, that they only work with R4s and R4is... And let's say there's many other options to R4i Gold v1.4... Sorry for being slow, but what should the 'box' say, for me to know it's not a clone and an actual flash card that will work fine?

Also, what are other names (and ways to identify if they're 'good') for good DSi flashcarts?

Thank you bunches for the comprehensive replies, everyone, I'll be done quick and will try to research more like at this very moment, in the future. ^^;

As always, I appreciate, in advance, any support you might be able to bring.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spyromv said:
I'm going to go return it and get another one today.

Let's say, hypothetically, that they only work with R4s and R4is... And let's say there's many other options to R4i Gold v1.4... Sorry for being slow, but what should the 'box' say, for me to know it's not a clone and an actual flash card that will work fine?

Also, what are other names (and ways to identify if they're 'good') for good DSi flashcarts?

Thank you bunches for the comprehensive replies, everyone, I'll be done quick and will try to research more like at this very moment, in the future. ^^;

As always, I appreciate, in advance, any support you might be able to bring.
All R4s that can be used on the DSi are clones. Check if they have an Acekard 2i, EZ-Flash Vi, Supercard DStwo, or Supercard DSonei. If they don't have any of those carts then you can get the M3i Zero the cart is crap but it can still run WoodM3 and it will work on your DSi. If they only have R4s then make sure on the box it says compatible with 1.4.1.

spyromv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
RoMee, Jakob, thanks bunches for your help. Basically, all I need to do is search for any R4 that explicitally says it'll work with 1.4.1.

That sounds simple enough for even a n00b like me to do. Sigh, I only hope they have it.

I'll keep you guys posted ^-^

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spyromv said:
RoMee, Jakob, thanks bunches for your help. Basically, all I need to do is search for any R4 that explicitally says it'll work with 1.4.1.

That sounds simple enough for even a n00b like me to do. Sigh, I only hope they have it.

I'll keep you guys posted ^-^
Or you could, ya know... NOT GET AN R4 CLONE! (I'm shocked no one has told you that... SHOCKED!! /sarcasm)
At worst, you'll get a card that doesn't get updated and won't play games or, as you've seen, doesn't work with 1.4.1.
At best, you'll get a card that relies on YelloWoodGolem to continue providing updates WoodR4i Gold -- The original WoodR4 could be discontinued at any time he wants, so R4i Gold could go just as easily.

I'd say Jakob was mostly right: You should get an AceKard2i or something that has a team behind it, but I would hesitate to suggest the M3i Zero. While it's true there is both a team behind it and it runs WoodM3, the M3 Team doesn't update often (they DID have an update recently, however) and WoodM3 has been discontinued since Taiju Yamada (Xenon++) has left the DS scene.

As I said before, do some research, find a card that works for you. This forum is FULL of information compiled by knowledgeable users that is literally just waiting to be read, for example:QUOTE(Rydian @ Jan 30 2011, 05:35 PM) 1 - Don't buy R4 clones.

2 - You can't play GBA games natively unless you're on a DS/Lite and using a GBA-slot card as well, like the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. If you're on a DSi/Xl your only real choice is the Supercard DSTwo, which can emulate GBA games, but doesn't play them perfectly.

cardchart.gif

Note that the prices given are from chinese shops.
If you order from a shop in another country it's more expensive.

[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i NDSLL", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution For DS".

The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play games on a DS/Lite.

[*]R4i Gold
The cheap card for somebody that wants to play games on a DSi with more storage.

[*]Acekard 2i
Mid-range card for people that want to play games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

[*]EZ-Flash Vi
Higher-end card with even more features.

[*]Supercard DSTwo
Pretty much the ultimate card right now.

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Auto Ap Bypass
    Some carts have special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first. The Acekard only has partial support for this right now.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course