Need help using .smc files

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by b1uem0nkey, Jan 25, 2009.

Jan 25, 2009
  1. b1uem0nkey
    OP

Newcomer b1uem0nkey Newbie

United States
    I've tried using SNESemuDS, but a number of game files simple freeze up on it. Could some give me the low-down how to get these files to work or how I may get them to work? Or is there specific download I should obtain to convert these files to another format etc. Maybe there's a self-help section that I've failed to see.

I just need some info, that's all. Thanks ya'll.

2. Monster On Strin

Member Monster On Strin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Snes Emus for the ds have low compatibility so most games probaly won't work.

EDIT: Compatibility List

3. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SNEmulDS is as good as it get for SNES emulation. There also hasn't been an update in a long while, so I recommend an alternative solution such as a PSP.

4. b1uem0nkey
    OP

Newcomer b1uem0nkey Newbie

United States
    How come someone isn't working on a good SNES emulator? I mean there's tons of games greats, more than worth emulating. Times like this I wish I knew how to code.

5. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unfortunately, emulating SNES on the DS is kind of pushing it. It has 99MHz of power (total, but the fact that there are two separate processors, it makes it hard to use it all) and the SNES goes at 21.5~MHz. Plus, the fact that many games have special chips that require extra emulation, and games range from 512KB to 4MB in size, and the DS has 4MB of ram to use, so there is paging for larger games. Plus, I'm not sure the DS is truly capable of Dynarec, which would normally be an easy ticket out. The PSP has 333MHz maximum, plus 32MB of RAM for phat and 64MB of RAM for slim. Also, the PSP has more capability at it's disposal.

So basically, Super Mario World and most of the early, low power, no special chip games will be all that we could pull off on the DS. There's not enough power to really g crazy here. I would have to say though, the DSi may have some hardware that may become accessible (with proper study) that could make it a little easier, but I would get your hopes up.

6. hdofu

Member hdofu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    cause even a system like the psp feels a bit pushed emulating some snes games. The snes cartridges were notorious for using enhancement chips like the famous fx 2 chip found in street fighter alpha 2