Hacking Need Help On What To Code

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
iTunes isn't exactly available on the wii.

What Magsor and Quietlyawesome94 mean is that there are two programs available on the wii:
1. wiiflow, which has that fancy coverflow thingy
2. wiiMC, which is able to play multimedia files.

As such, a suggestion to do is to use the source of both to create a multimedia player with a coverflow. The knowhow is out there (not sure if they're open source, though), so it's at least theoretically possible.

if you want to code then try to find something not done. Good luck with that.
No...if you want to code, try something you want to make. Whether it's already done is irrelevant. Or actually: it's better that it IS already done (it can serve as an example of how to do things).

It's if you want to get an audience and/or help the community, THEN it's trying to find something not done. Correction: something not done and that may spark the interest of people.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you have never programmed on a platform like the wii before, it's probably best to start to examine and improve some existing projects.
libogc offers a lot of very usefull functions, but it's not exactly the most documented library with a nice piece of example code to demonstrate the use of every function.

Even getting something compiled can be a challenge the first time. Especially if the original project is using some older versions of the libraries.

The wii itself is also a pretty complicated piece of hardware, with it's 2 processors.
Some documentation is available on the net, but it's spread wide over.

I wouldn't start with adding coverflow to wiimc as a first project, I wouldn't look at porting xbmc either.
Those aren't exactly beginners projects.

thebeast923

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iTunes isn't exactly available on the wii.

What Magsor and Quietlyawesome94 mean is that there are two programs available on the wii:
1. wiiflow, which has that fancy coverflow thingy
2. wiiMC, which is able to play multimedia files.

As such, a suggestion to do is to use the source of both to create a multimedia player with a coverflow. The knowhow is out there (not sure if they're open source, though), so it's at least theoretically possible.

if you want to code then try to find something not done. Good luck with that.
No...if you want to code, try something you want to make. Whether it's already done is irrelevant. Or actually: it's better that it IS already done (it can serve as an example of how to do things).

It's if you want to get an audience and/or help the community, THEN it's trying to find something not done. Correction: something not done and that may spark the interest of people.
If you have never programmed on a platform like the wii before, it's probably best to start to examine and improve some existing projects.
libogc offers a lot of very usefull functions, but it's not exactly the most documented library with a nice piece of example code to demonstrate the use of every function.

Even getting something compiled can be a challenge the first time. Especially if the original project is using some older versions of the libraries.

The wii itself is also a pretty complicated piece of hardware, with it's 2 processors.
Some documentation is available on the net, but it's spread wide over.

I wouldn't start with adding coverflow to wiimc as a first project, I wouldn't look at porting xbmc either.
Those aren't exactly beginners projects.
Thank You both for the very use full info now for my insight One I dont think updating Libogc would be a good stepping stone at this point for two reasons one libogc was a group effort so me adding anything to it is king of useless cuz i have no knowledge of the wii calling codes so I cant help there Two I Am Still Learning c So It Will Take some Work And Its not As Bad So Ill take Some small chunk and look in to the front end of a God Like Example for ogc but I am 80 percent sure that I Want to start with the pc at 1 time i wanted a end all be all for gh\rb but that may have died becuz of the lack of interest so if I make a god tool for libogoc what would you want it to be

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think you miss understood there. I wasn't talking about making changes to libogc.
libogc is the library that contains most of the wii specific functions.
Nearly all homebrew programs are linked to a version of this program. That's why I brought it up.

What exactly do you mean with a god tool?

thebeast923

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you miss understood there. I wasn't talking about making changes to libogc.
libogc is the library that contains most of the wii specific functions.
Nearly all homebrew programs are linked to a version of this program. That's why I brought it up.

What exactly do you mean with a god tool?
Something like an emulator to show off all. the functions of libogc

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nice one beast :)

i got a request for you to update / improve Leiji loader.
I have got all links and source to upload from my desktop when i get back from vacation (Florida rocks!)
will post back after July 10th

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi beast,
heres something to have a look at if u got time / inclination :)

Leiji Loader:
custom loader inject to an old revision of neogamma to allow replacement of stage 1-1 from NSMB wii with a custom stage of your choice.
The app was quite cute, coming out just before the release of Reggie! editor, but never really gained popularity due to difficulty in getting it to work. You had to have:
PAL version only
WBFS partition
using cIOS rev_14
with specific settings for neogamma (see d/load)
I have included source in the download, with compiled boot.dol, settings info and SD files setup folder.
I currently use neogamma IOS switcher app and have rev_14 installed to IOS slot 245 so as not to compromise my d2x setup.

I would ultimately like to achieve a channel for this which autoboots leiji GUI to choose a custom stage of your choice from a default folder on SD/USB......maaybe too much, i know....

realistically, just achieving FAT32 support would be awesome, and compatability with d2x?? like I said, I'm no coder so havent a clue what these would entail. I can test things to destruction along the way should you need me to tho' :)

heres links - and thx
orig post:
http://gbatemp.net/t...e-from-sd-card/

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6sg48q

thebeast923

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi beast,
heres something to have a look at if u got time / inclination :)

Leiji Loader:
custom loader inject to an old revision of neogamma to allow replacement of stage 1-1 from NSMB wii with a custom stage of your choice.
The app was quite cute, coming out just before the release of Reggie! editor, but never really gained popularity due to difficulty in getting it to work. You had to have:
PAL version only
WBFS partition
using cIOS rev_14
with specific settings for neogamma (see d/load)
I have included source in the download, with compiled boot.dol, settings info and SD files setup folder.
I currently use neogamma IOS switcher app and have rev_14 installed to IOS slot 245 so as not to compromise my d2x setup.

I would ultimately like to achieve a channel for this which autoboots leiji GUI to choose a custom stage of your choice from a default folder on SD/USB......maaybe too much, i know....

realistically, just achieving FAT32 support would be awesome, and compatability with d2x?? like I said, I'm no coder so havent a clue what these would entail. I can test things to destruction along the way should you need me to tho' :)

heres links - and thx
orig post:
http://gbatemp.net/t...e-from-sd-card/

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6sg48q
as I sent you in the PM theres no reason for doing this as there all tools for both Originals and Fake Wii disc sorry i did not post here life is buzzing around in this moment but I shall be Fine For The Holidays

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think