Need for Speed: Heat is the latest iteration in the franchise

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

Front-page

Though it's no longer a yearly series, it's been two years since the release of the previous Need for Speed game, meaning it's time for a new reveal. EA has just announced Need for Speed: Heat, the latest in the arcade-style racing series developed by Ghost. Familiar mainstays such as police chases and a huge open world track return, as you drive around Palm City, a fictional location heavily based on the city of Miami. You'll be able to destroy, customize, and race cars when Need for Speed: Heat launches for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One this November 8th. As usual, Origin Access and EA Access subscribers will get to try the game three days prior to launch.

Discussion (39 replies)
  1. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Hopefully this doesn't turn out like the last one.

2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    Alexa play Despacito.

Probably going to be average/mediocre at best, but I'm always down if it's gonna be a good NFS game like the old ones but with good graphics.

Maximilious, AlanJohn and gnmmarechal like this.
  3. wiitendo84

wiitendo84 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    New Albany, Indiana
    This looks like a spiritual successor to nfs underground. I hope so at least

4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Back in the day, EA didn't know about microtransactions. So... yeah... This will ruin the game.

5. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Anything about crash cams and crashes overall or that other stuff that seperated the bullshit entries of the series from the good ones like Most Wanted 2005, Underground and Underground 2?

I might care about the series again as soon as they get rid of everything that belongs into a Burnout game rather than an NFS game.
    Though, I wouldn't mind another ACTUAL Burnout game.

Last edited by Axido, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    Maximilious and MarkDarkness like this.
  6. 1MiinMofo

1MiinMofo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Given the voiceover in the trailer, expect a series of "Escape from ICE" DLC missions.

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Do you remember the better Need for Speed Days ? :(

the-need-for-speed.

And I think an maybe Underground "clone" or whatever makes it also not better....
    That's really a pity......

But sure,this new one will also make its successful way.

8. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    it's not just NFS, guys. arcade/street racing games in general have fallen in both quantity and quality since their golden era in the early/mid 2000s.
    I personally liked Midnight Club 3 more than NFSU2/MW but I had great moments with them all, too bad they'll probably never be so good again.

9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Kind of interesting that the hero car is a plugin hybrid. Love the overall design, though. Those new Volvo's look great.

Re: the game, like someone mentioned above, EA keeps shooting themselves in the foot with this series by doing stupid, gimmicky things. It would be nice to see another release like the most recent "Hot Pursuit" title (I think it was the same studio behind that?), but I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, the Forza Horizon series has become what NFS used to be, and does so infinitely better, IMHO.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I can't wait for EA to screw people over with those lame microtransactions :lol:

RetroNostalgia likes this.
  11. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Doesn't look like we'll get to play this on the Switch tho, which sucks cause I was looking forward to playing it at 360p@24hz :(

Briyoda likes this.
  12. Voyambar

Voyambar Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    My Basement
    How bad was it? Dont get me wrong I love the NFS series but never played the new titles

13. wiitendo84

wiitendo84 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    New Albany, Indiana
    I still have all of my need for speed games back when they released on playstation 1. Might pull that out and play nfs high stakes. Me and my brothers would race each other for our cars on it. Never lost one.

14. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    This is the perfect franchise to add a "surprise mechanic". Crashed into a tree and totaled your car? Surprise! That lootbox contained a mechanic who can fix it right up!

souhukyafod likes this.
  15. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Love me some racing games (especially street racing). Makes me want to play the greatest racing game ever Midnight Club III/Midnight Club III remix again (after MK DD of course).
    loot box
    tool box
    drop box
    Illuminati confirmed

Last edited by MythicalData, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:04 AM
  16. Radius4

Radius4 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2015
    Ecuador
    loot box + frostbyte engine.
    hard pass

souhukyafod likes this.
  17. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    There were a quite a few cutting edge (for the time) NFS games for much less powerful handhelds, including a proper port of Most Wanted for Vita - so, I think EA could cook something pretty and smooth-running for Switch if they really wanted to.

18. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    I am sceptical, the series has been a letdown for me after the underground series. Can we go back to nice designed tracks instead of an open World to drive around? Go back to the roots and remember what made the series great in the first place. And I have been with the series since NFS2:SE.

"No off-road, but an open world will be there" is almost a game killer for me. I prefer closed tracks that are well designed instead of an open world to drive around. Don't get me wrong, open World driving games are great, but it feels like almost every racing game is using an open world these days. I am just oversaturated with open world driving games and would have prefered to go back to the roots of traditional NFS. I am very sceptical of this new entry (open World and NFS have not yet worked nice together), but who knows, maybe it will be as good as Burnout Paradise or the Forza Horizon games.

Disclaimer: Thats my personal opinion from what we saw in the teaser. Yours might be different and that's totaly fine.

Last edited by Kadji, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:20 AM
  19. aMp

aMp Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2008
    Germany
    In another life, in another dream...
    The last nfs game I played was the one released in 2015 which had terrible handling. I still think underground had the best physics.

alexander1970 likes this.