Hacking NDSTokyoTrim - batch trimmer with wifi detection

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Don't know if Brian isstill coming here but found something interesting here : http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-rom-tool-rom_tool.349314/

So basically, the other tool have source available :)
And :
- not trimming at all for "card2" type game
- can trim "normally" card1 games
- can "super trim" (remove update partition) for "card1" games

Maybe those differences can be included in NDSTokyo Trim like this :
- detect if a 3ds game is "card1" or "card2". If card2, tells it is not possible (recommanded) to trim
- if card1, check if "super trim" option checkbox is checked. if checked : trim normally + remove update partition. if not checked, just remove "normal" trim.

I think the other tool have internal database of card2 game but if not, I think it can be found elsewhere and could be added to an XML file in the same dir that NDSTokyoTrim and thus can be manually updated by user instead of waiting a new release compiled by Brian.

EDIt : found some "not card2" games listed here : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_flashcarts_game_compatibility (maybe a "do it at your own risks" message)

DeriLoko2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the heck? I started the 3.0 released version of NDSTokyoTrim, put the GBA file (untrimmed) in there, and then I received this.

psdpfadf0if0vxzcvcxovzvxcovoozvocxsdfa.png

1. I have Windows 8.1.
lldsfa.png

2. I have DEP turned on for all programs.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Congratulations, 7 years on and still going strong!

I've been using this since the beginning and proven to be an invaluable tool.

Thank you for your continued hard work on it.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome stuff! I used to use this tool back in the days of the original R4DS! Can't believe it's still going so strong!

Can anyone confirm that this works with .3DZ files? And works with both CARD1 and CARD2 types? Haven't read the entire thread obviously with 86 pages, but originally there was a problem with Card2 type not saving properly right?

Haven't got any .3DZ ROMs but plan on making a few, so if trimmed first can they still have new different headers injected? Thanks all!

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can anyone tell me if roms trimmed with this tool work on Sky 3DS? Tried searching the thread but no results. thanks in advance.
Used it on my dstwo in the past and found it very handy, surprised it got updated for 3DS.

Just recieved my Sky3DS, and updated to 9.5 and can confirm Roms trimmed with this tool still work fine on Sky. Tried tomodachi life, which asked for an update of the game first, and let me continue from its demo save.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Been using this with my M3 real back in the days. Nice to see it's still there! Will this also remove the system updates from 3DS game backups?

EDIT: Just seen it, it has already been asked. So, no supertrimming? I'd really like to use this instead of rom_tool - no offense meant to the developer, but I'm familiar with this one and would like to keep using it.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this still being atively developed on? After trying now, I get 'out of memory' errors when unpacking large roms (the 2Gigabyte Castlevania 3DS rom for example, I have 4GB of RAM installed in my PC). Also, the slowdown from having Tokyotrim unpacking in background is bad. Why not use the 7-ZIP libraries for such operations?

Also, an idea for CARD2 roms such as Animal Crossing: Yeah, you can't just trim them like the others, because then there will be no more room for the save file. However, as I read somewhere else (don't take my word for it) 3DS savegames are typically 1MB big. There are not that many CARD2 roms to begin with, so testing if 1MB is correct would still be in the realm of possibility. Now, if you know the size of the save, you could just trim CARD2 roms to their regular (CARD1) trimmed size plus size of the savegame and - voilá - you get to save space and still be able to play your games.

DeriLoko2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have used NDSTokyoTrim v3.0 to trim some of my roms, but a few of my roms are not trimmed. Also, when it says, "SKIP: File already trimmed," it means that the file is not trimmed. Keep your eye on the file sizes.

See this image.

image.png

First, I dragged some of my roms to NDSTokyoTrim.

image.png

Second, I pushed the "trim" button, and here it is.

image.png

Two of my roms are not trimmed by NDSTokyoTrim. There could be issues.

Here is the log.

image.png

Again, I am using NDSTokyoTrim v3.0.

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any plans to allow trimming of update data in the optiosn menu, sothat way I can use this thing? because as it stands I can only use rom_tool to do super trimming.

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, only rom_tool does, and this is likely because ti cannot be undone, and ndstokyo trim has always been about doing trimming that could be reversed.

DeriLoko2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can NDSTokyoTrim have "Fix/Remove Overdump" support?

Okay. Here is what I did so far.

Here is NDSTokyoTrim and the GBA file (which is overdumped) that has 8 MB of size.

1_1.png

I dragged that GBA file into NDSTokyoTrim.

1_2.png

I trimmed it.

1_3.png

NDSTokyoTrim has trimmed 3 bytes of the GBA file size, but the GBA file size is not the actual size.

Let me try out another copy of the GBA file (which is not overdumped) I have used, thanks to GBATA (GBA Tool Advance).

Same steps.

2_1.png

2_2.png

2_3.png

And there. Did you look at the GBA file size now? NDSTokyoTrim has trimmed 18.66 KB of the GBA file size. I have found out that the GBA file size that was trimmed was the actual size.

I have another GBA file that was trimmed without fixing/removing the overdump. Do you want to take a look?

3_1.png

3_2.png

Did you see that? NDSTokyoTrim has trimmed 925.92 KB of the GBA file size without the option to fix/remove the overdump.

Do you find this confusing?

Again. Can NDSTokyoTrim have "Fix/Remove Overdump" support?

If you said to me, "No, it does not have the fixing/removing overdump support," I will not be happy. :(

DeriLoko2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something is not right here.

Pokémon - Sapphire Version (GBA)(U)(v1.0) can not be trimmed.

Let me not forget to mention these games that can not be trimmed:

Fire Emblem (GBA)(U)
Fire Emblem (GBA)(E)(There are 2 European versions. Please, do not forget those.)
Fire Emblem - Rekka no Ken (GBA)(J)
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (GBA)(E)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team (GBA)(U)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team (GBA)(E)
Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon - Aka no Kyuujotai (GBA)(J)
Metroid - Ronghe (GBA)(C)
Donkey Kong Country (GBA)(U)
Donkey Kong Country (GBA)(E)
Super Donkey Kong (GBA)(J)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)(U)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)(E)
Super Donkey Kong 2 (GBA)(J)
Super Mario Ball (GBA)(J)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users