Homebrew NDS Music Player

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on DSTT using RGF updates. And, as you can see in the previous post, I can run SPS with ease with kazowar's build. SPS are on data/NDS Music Player, and dumps are in root/nds/.

Avenir's version is not working for some reason, maybe he uses a different SPS builder or treat them differently?
You need to "execute" sps by association or extlink.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MoonShell2 is an example of something that uses extlink.

Although, I had this problem with my R4 and it got resolved when Wood supported associations with applications and emulators.

Reshiram_Addict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see you linked to NDS Music Player but I cannot find SPSMaker Anywhere!!!!!!!!! it didn't come up on Google!!!!!!!!!!

loco365

Trophies
XP
@KazoWAR Do you plan to make a library with this or is it already able to be used in homebrew? I wouldn't mind using SSEQ-format music in any homebrew I do because it'd make working on music so much easier that way because I'd be able to keep down filesizes.

Edit: I looked through your source code and found debug code to display commands that are encountered during playback. How would I activate them? I've been trying different things over the past hour to no avail. All I've managed is to make it display cmd = ##:## but none of the others such as
Code:
case 0xC3: // TRANSPOSE
iprintf("C3		 TRANSPOSE: %.2X\n",message_data[i+2]);
break;

Unless I'm just missing it.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KazoWAR Do you plan to make a library with this or is it already able to be used in homebrew? I wouldn't mind using SSEQ-format music in any homebrew I do because it'd make working on music so much easier that way because I'd be able to keep down filesizes.
basically sseqplayer uses arm7. so you can just write arm7 notifier with a few lines I suppose.
Btw you can build sseq? wow...

KazoWAR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: I looked through your source code and found debug code to display commands that are encountered during playback. How would I activate them? I've been trying different things over the past hour to no avail. All I've managed is to make it display cmd = ##:## but none of the others such as
Code:
case 0xC3: // TRANSPOSE
iprintf("C3		 TRANSPOSE: %.2X\n",message_data[i+2]);
break;

Unless I'm just missing it.

Try asking fincs, http://fincs.drunkencoders.com/2011/06/26/homebrew-sseq-player/ All i really did was take his proof of concept sseq player and modded it to load the data it needed from the nds files on your card. my initial release was pretty buggy and caitsith2 and avenir did a lot to make it a better program. so try asking them about it too

loco365

Trophies
XP
basically sseqplayer uses arm7. so you can just write arm7 notifier with a few lines I suppose.
Btw you can build sseq? wow...
I just know that there is a folder that says to place SSEQ, SBNK and SWAR files in a folder and change some parameters in PlaySeq in the template.c within the arm9 folder. I assume it builds a sound data folder or something along those lines. And yes, I know how to reverse-engineer the SSEQ file.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239776

I just need to add stuff involving Tinke and larger filesizes.

Kiiro_Yakumo

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
Interesting, a SSEQ player, I guess I will give it a try today
As for all GBA wonders "can it play GBA music"
Nope, GBA uses way diffrent stuff, NDS is compatible backwards with GBA music by Z80 chip "inside" of ARM7 but it doesn't make those two being "same" for music part
However if someone wants to play GBA music without turning on specific game, there is a way, not best one to be honest but IS
It's about program that can "unpack" (note the quote mark) music from GBA games to MIDI format, this MIDI file can be played "as it is" but of course will sound a bit diffrent, so next step would be to import it to Tracker program, edit the instruments for GBA looking and voila, however the noise part can be problematic, I myself didn't found the perfect way how to set-up noise to sound like GBA one

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Have you guys tried to fix the WaveArc allocation problems by using a Slot-2 memory expansion cartridge? I guess that even the one that comes with the DS Browser (8192KB) should be enough for the bigger ones.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once tried but failed... I don't think it will be fixed since slot2 mem is slow and fincs (original author) doesn't have slot2 devices...

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
this deserves more love. In case someone has missed this opportunity to stream directly your sequenced instrument music files directly from ROM onto the ARM7 processor. (or a NDS SSEQ music player)

This is almost a year old reply, but rather to load a specific spc on nds memory, load the dldi's flashcart current sps dir? Like kazowar's build does. So I don't need to quit everytime I want to change sseq on different ROMS. The close-lid works like a charm, some sound effects sound weird but nothing THAT important, And lastly, upon closed lid, it'd be nice to navigate through SSEQ's by pressing L or R twice (like moonshell). This for the ext-link version you've compiled avenir.

Thanks guys

edit: an idea would be building a specific sps (if running from moonshell), that actually reads the whole sps dir, and lists and then send it to your compiled version, avenir.

Or simply reading the current folder's sps. But i'm not sure if upon loading an sseq, the soundfont is loaded instantly (and kept in ram if next sseq's uses the same instruments), like kazowar build does.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I thought perhaps I'd mention this here, but I managed to build a copy of a NITRO SoundPlayer (From the NITRO SDK woohoo) that embeds a SDAT file into it and plays back from it on a DS/Emulator. Could it perhaps be of any use? I'm not sure if I can find a source for it in the NITRO SDK, but I can give it a shot if anyone wants info on it.

And if I'm allowed to here, I can link to a copy of the SoundPlayer I built.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I come into this thread expecting an alternate MP3 player to Moonshell (which is terrible), and I must say, I'm disappointed. :/

Movie and music players are always poorly coded, buggy, and have shitty interfaces. I wish somebody who can code would mirror something great, like the Android music player, or Winamp.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You are obviously poorly informed about what this homebrew's goal is then. Rather, you should be disappointed in yourself for reading the title of the homebrew and carry your disappointment to being one of the actual homebrew rather than your disappointment in not finding the kind of homebrew you were anticipating it to be. This homebrew is one-of-a-kind and does what it's supposed to well enough from what I have heard.

Homebrew devs aren't always teams of people who some are dedicated to artwork, layout, etc, and others are for the codework. A number of times, homebrew devs aren't exactly the most artistic of sorts, but other times they might be. You are blaming people who take up this sort of thing as a hobby and saying that the shit they spent time on is worse than like a commercial product, or winamp.

tl;dr
Your generalizations and disappointment are stupid and misplaced.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I come into this thread expecting an alternate MP3 player to Moonshell (which is terrible), and I must say, I'm disappointed. :/

Movie and music players are always poorly coded, buggy, and have shitty interfaces. I wish somebody who can code would mirror something great, like the Android music player, or Winamp.
And I quote from the OP:
NDS Music Player is a hombrew that uses fincs' SSEQ Player to play SSEQ music off of ROMs on your SD card.
This won't ever be an MP3 player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: :rofl2: