ROM Hack [NDS] Mario Kart DS - Beta Courses Hack (now with

killjoy42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: For a hack of the Kiosk Demo Beta Courses (with textures) see the second post after this one.

So I'll do this quick for people who want to try out the beta courses and aren't interested in the process. Simply download the ips patch at the following location and patch it to your Mario Kart DS rom (US version) as you normally would:
hack mario kart ds - beta course mod.ips - 11.41MB
rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/24233606/_Hack...se_Mod.ips.html

I have replaced the following courses with beta courses:
Figure 8 Circuit - dokan_course (an awesome couse with a trail that goes up into the air)
Yoshi Falls - old_mario_gc (Gamecube Mario Circuit)
Cheep Cheep Beach - test_circle (a small, one-lap circle)
Waluigi Pinball - nokonoko_course (Some kind of beach course)

(Keep in mind all the beta courses lack textures of any kind for the moment.)

In addition, I replaced some of the battle mode course with beta battle levels as well. Only the first beta level is new. The subsequent two are just beta versions of the existing battle courses and appear to be exactly the same, save for the missing textures.
Nintendo DS - mini_block_course (Block City [Gamecube])
Twilight House - mini_block_64 (Block Fort Beta)
Palm Shore - mini_dokan_gc (Pipe Plaza Beta)

The above levels have all beeen tested and work. I have only tested them in single player time trial/battle mode with default settings, but they should work under different configurations as well. It semi-works in wifi.

There were several beta courses which caused the game to crash as well. To see the videos of what these courses look like, simply follow the youtube links:
test1_course
donkey_course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDeo7W-Whw
luigi_course
wario_course

Waluigi Pinball (Beta): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juW-Fy4Cg8g
Dokan Course (Beta, with texture): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZNRovXHWo
Gamecube Mario Circuit (Beta, with texture): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2N5iSdVB8

You might notice that the courses in the videos are fully functional and fully textured. This is because the files required to accomplish this came from an earlier build of the game. Apparently, the Kiok Demo cart has these files, so if anyone is able to get a hold of this rom, let me know and I should be able to texturize the beta levels and possibly include the lost ones. However, as far as I can tell, the Kiosk Demo rom has not been dumped, so we will have to wait...

I used the following links to create this rom. It is not too difficult if you are patient:
http://m3wiki.com/index.php?title=Mario_Ka...n_Tracks_Online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7cthhTLiHQ

You can also try patching your rom with Yoshi Jr.'s patch, but I couldn't get it to work, so you're on your own there:
http://dl.emu-zone.org/emu_down/handheld/n..._beta_patch.rar

EDIT: A newer (working) version of Yoshi Jr's patch can be found here:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/27/698...ta_Patch_v2.rar

Finally, I simply compiled this information and created this particular file in the space of an afternoon. Everything else here has been the hard work of others. I take no credit ;-)
If someone wants to rehost this, go for it.

killjoy42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I hacked a copy of the Kiosk Demo rom using the same method as described above. Doing this, I was able to get five beta courses to work... with textures ! ;-)

You can download the ips patch here (run as usual):
hack kiosk mario kart ds - kiosk beta course mod.ips - 12.82MB
rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/24233172/_Hack...se_Mod.ips.html

Because the Kiosk rom doesn't let you select courses individually, you have to play through the courses in sets of four.
The courses replaced are as follows:
Nitro Cup
Figure 8 Circuit -> Not changed. Play through it.
Yoshi Falls -> Waluigi Pinball (Beta) - This is pretty cool, there's a whole section of the beta course that runs over the main pinball area.
Cheep Cheep Beach -> DK Pass (Beta) - Pretty much completely different from the version of this course in the final game.
Luigi's Mansion -> Not changed. Play through it.

Retro Cup
Mario Circuit (SNES) -> Dokan Course
Moo Moo Farm (N64) -> Mario Circuit (Gamecube Beta) - This is actually a pretty complete course. Too bad it didn't make it in the final game.
Peach Circuit (GBA) -> Test Circle - Small one-lap circle
Luigi Circuit (GCN) -> Not changed. Play through it.

Also, the levels are somewhat glitchy, and various things can cause the game to freeze (excessively using items, falling off the course, etc.)

Let me know if you have any problems.
(Also, be sure to apply the patch to a clean, untrimmed/unhacked version of the rom, else it's liable to fail)
Anyway, enjoy!

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yoshi Jr.'s patch is actually mine (Well I'm both
biggrin.gif
. I go by Yoshi Jr. on wifi and ChaosBoi on the DS scenes). The only reason why the patch didn't work is because I wasn't able to make a proper patch out of it (Used ips XP though).

Here's the link to the topic with the patch that retrohead made out of the hacked rom I sent him:

Be sure to read the readme file on how to patch it though. If anyone wants to know, I only created this hack because I couldn't find the kiosk rom of it >.< .

EDIT: Oh and btw, I haven't tested out the new patch yet but retrohead said he tried it on an EZV flashcart and it worked.

EDIT 2: Changed the link to the one on my webspace.

killjoy42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
srry, ChaosBoi, wasn't trying to step on any toes. Believe me, I had a hell of a time trying to make your earlier version work, but now I can give this one a go.

As for the kiosk demo rom... it's out there. ;-)

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No problem, you didn't really give me any trouble at all
happy.gif
. Just making sure places that have my patch gets the working one (At first, I didn't think it would spread outside DS-Scene but I'm glad that I didn't make it for nothing
biggrin.gif
). And yeah, I know the kiosk demo is out there. Just couldn't find it only.

xler8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I hacked a copy of the Kiosk Demo rom using the same method as described above. Doing this, I was able to get five beta courses to work... with textures ! ;-)

Because the Kiosk rom doesn't let you select courses individually, you have to play through the courses in sets of four.
Nitro Cup
Yoshi Falls -> Waluigi Pinball (Beta) - This is pretty cool, there's a whole section of the beta course that runs over the main pinball area.
Cheep Cheep Beach -> DK Pass (Beta) - Pretty much completely different from the version of this course in the final game.

Retro Cup
Moo Moo Farm (N64) -> Mario Circuit (Gamecube Beta) - This is actually a pretty complete course. Too bad it didn't make it in the final game.
Luigi Circuit (GCN) ->Â Not changed. Play through it.

Also, the levels are somewhat glitchy, and various things can cause the game to freeze (excessively using items, falling off the course, etc.)

(Also, be sure to apply the patch to a clean, untrimmed/unhacked version of the rom, else it's liable to fail)
Anyway, enjoy!

Thanks for putting this together. I patched the kiosk nds and played the pinball level. Pretty cool.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif
. I go by Yoshi Jr. on wifi and ChaosBoi on the DS scenes). The only reason why the patch didn't work is because I wasn't able to make a proper patch out of it (Used ips XP though).

Here's the link to the topic with the patch that retrohead made out of the hacked rom I sent him:

Be sure to read the readme file on how to patch it though. If anyone wants to know, I only created this hack because I couldn't find the kiosk rom of it >.< .

EDIT: Oh and btw, I haven't tested out the new patch yet but retrohead said he tried it on an EZV flashcart and it worked.

I tried this version, and it seems to work good.
smile.gif
But I find it interesting that some of the beta courses are launched from regular courses that have to be unlocked in order to play. So I could only try the Waluigi one, and the one under the Koopa course gave me a black screen. But this is really cool anyways!

I have no idea how this was done, but I used dslazy to unpack the mkds and I saw some of the different courses. Would it not be possible just to swap names with the course files, or even take the textures from the kiosk and put them into the regular? Beats me.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
But I find it interesting that some of the beta courses are launched from regular courses that have to be unlocked in order to play. So I could only try the Waluigi one, and the one under the Koopa course gave me a black screen. But this is really cool anyways!

I have no idea how this was done, but I used dslazy to unpack the mkds and I saw some of the different courses. Would it not be possible just to swap names with the course files, or even take the textures from the kiosk and put them into the regular? Beats me.

Hmmmm....I think the one with the black screen, I probably forgot to replace that course with the actual one when it didn't work. Oh well, it was actually meant for testing, not actually playing (Though you can but it's mainly for testing).

killjoy42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A (further) explanation:

If you look at the file structure, the location of the of the textures is within the course carc itself on the kiosk rom (ex. just dokan_course.carc), whereas the textures are in seperate files on the final rom (ex. dokan_course.carc AND dokan_courseTex.carc).

You'll also notice that the carc courses in the kiosk version are about twice the size (in KB) as the final version rom, which would support this assumption. That also explains why the *Tex.carc files for finished courses are quite large in filesize while the *Tex.carc files for textureless/unfinished courses have very small filesizes.

If you just throw the kiok version .carcs into the final version, it may work, but my guess is the code that tells the game where to find the textures is not within the individual .carc files themselves. I think there could be ways around this, but I need to think on it more. Optimally, I'd like the make textured courses from the kiosk version work on the final version.

ChaosBoi is currently investigating this possibility, and I'll give it a look as well.

Also, I completely forgot about Shy-Guy! He's my favorite racer! I'll see if I can include him in the next version of the patch.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Hmmmm....I think the one with the black screen, I probably forgot to replace that course with the actual one when it didn't work. Oh well, it was actually meant for testing, not actually playing (Though you can but it's mainly for testing).

Well, the black screen must just be my cart, because i just no$gba'ed it and the course worked fine. I also got some cool n wierd pics of that course, you can see random Waluigi pinball bouncer things all over.

GcRayden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I checked my rom and its untrimmed, unhacked, and clean. Although I've tried many different mkds roms with this, after the patch, i turn it on, it just comes up with white screens. Can someone help me because i really want to try this? XD

btw, im using r4 and 1 gig kingston japanese version

Note: noticed after i patched it, sometimes it will come up as 13 mb and wont have a game icon, but the other times it did have the game icon it still didnt work, so i dunno.

blader600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nitro Cup

Retro Cup

Anyway, enjoy!

it does not work every time i pacth it the rom's header is damaged

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most of these tracks can't be finished because of errors im sure a lot of people know about this, but don't have it since it's plagued with bugs.

I was able to finish the retro cup (On the count that the CPU didn't use so much items and I didn't use any). It freezes if items are used constantly or if you fall off. I got half way through nitro cup but then I fell off the track while drifting >.< .

blader600

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nitro Cup

Retro Cup

Anyway, enjoy!

You are my bestest friend in the world thank you a million:) but I have one question When is the full version of this game going to come out my best friend?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work