Homebrew [NDS] Forwarder CIAs for your HOME Menu

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is really slick, thanks. The forwarder is working well on my R4i Gold RTS, only found one incompatible game so far (Ivy the Kiwi).
Just launching the cart as normal from the cart icon didn't work, didn't get to the menu, but worked fine when I replaced the files supplied in the download with the latest official menu - I guess the ones in the download are for the R4iDSN instead.

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really slick, thanks. The forwarder is working well on my R4i Gold RTS, only found one incompatible game so far (Ivy the Kiwi).
Just launching the cart as normal from the cart icon didn't work, didn't get to the menu, but worked fine when I replaced the files supplied in the download with the latest official menu - I guess the ones in the download are for the R4iDSN instead.
I hade the same problem and when I grabbed the files from the r4ids.cn site it worked both ways, hope the DSI fix comming won't need to chnage these files.

Finn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When checking out the DSTT, i noticed that in the comments someone said that it is only working with ds/ds lite. Does Luma3DS allow the card to work on the 3ds, or will I have to order the TT3ds?

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When checking out the DSTT, i noticed that in the comments someone said that it is only working with ds/ds lite. Does Luma3DS allow the card to work on the 3ds, or will I have to order the TT3ds?
Yes, Luma patches the fw to allow allmost all previously blocked ds flash carts

Reactions: Finn_

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

Yes Luma does. These forwarder CIAs act as modified stage2 launchers. SRLs installed to TWL NAND that boot the cart inplace of launching it from Home Menu. This allows booting most older cards + being able to auto boot a specific game based on which forwarder CIA you install.

Reactions: Finn_

Finn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Luma patches the fw to allow allmost all previously blocked ds flash carts
Yes Luma does. These forwarder CIAs act as modified stage2 launchers. SRLs installed to TWL NAND that boot the cart inplace of launching it from Home Menu. This allows booting most older cards + being able to auto boot a specific game based on which forwarder CIA you install.
Thank you!

D

Deleted User

Tested a few games With R4IDS. It's annoyingthat the games that doesn't work are the ones that I want to play the most.

blank Title ID (Error/Shutdown when opening):
Legend of Zelda - Spirit Tracks

Not Working (White screen):
Radiant Historia
Etrian Odyssey 3
Ketsui - Death Label (J)

Working:
Avalon Code
MMZ Collections
MMZX
MMZX Advent (Undub)
MM Star force
MM Star force 2
MM Star force 3
FF IV
SMT: Strange Journey
Picross 3d
Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey 2
Coropata
Atelier Anne
Doki Majo Plus
Seven Dragons (Patched english)
suikoden tierkreis (Undub)
Time Hollow (Undub)
Chrono Trigger (J)
Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania - Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin
Doki doki Majo Shinpan!
Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2
Doki Majo Plus
Summon Night - Twin Age (Undub)
Rondo of Swords (Undub)
The World Ends With You (Undub)
Legend of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass
Rune Factory - A Fantasy Harvest Moon (Undub)
Soma Bringer (ENGLISH)
Tales of Innocence (ENGLISH)
Knight in the Nightmare

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested a few games With R4IDS. It's annoyingthat the games that doesn't work are the ones that I want to play the most.

blank Title ID (Error/Shutdown when opening):
Legend of Zelda - Spirit Tracks

Not Working (White screen):
Radiant Historia
Etrian Odyssey 3
Ketsui - Death Label (J)

Working:
"R4 DS" you mean?

blank Title ID? Do you mean there's a white icon, and you get an error screen when launching it? Try shortening the .nds filename, and make the forwarder again.

The games that get white screens should get fixed soon.

D

Deleted User

"R4 DS" you mean?

blank Title ID? Do you mean there's a white icon, and you get an error screen when launching it? Try shortening the .nds filename, and make the forwarder again.

The games that get white screens should get fixed soon.

I meant my R4i 3ds revolution (www.r4ids.cn). Got it to working by doing what you said. Now If only EO3 and Radiant Historia is working.

Last edited by ,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this works great with the original R4 :yay3ds:
I'd dumped games with both Woodumper and Decrypt9.
However, one game doesn't work: Pokemon Black. Is this a known incompatible game?

Reactions: RocketRobz

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this works great with the original R4 :yay3ds:
I'd dumped games with both Woodumper and Decrypt9.
However, one game doesn't work: Pokemon Black. Is this a known incompatible game?
Any DSi-Enchanced game doesn't work right now. Should be fixed soon. The packs have been updated for a future release of Forwarder3-DS, so you can update it, if you want.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any DSi-Enchanced game doesn't work right now. Should be fixed soon. The packs have been updated for a future release of Forwarder3-DS, so you can update it, if you want.
So, if I update the pack, launching the game from the wood menu would work, just not the forwarder yet?

yubimusubi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Yeah there is, but I still can't open the jar :/
Code:
[adam@AdamPC-ArchLinux Forwarder]$ java -jar Forwarder3DS.jar
Error: Could not find or load main class com.olmectron.forwarder.Forwarder3DS
[adam@AdamPC-ArchLinux Forwarder]$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_92"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)

That error (however unintuitive) for me meant I didn't have javafx installed. On Arch this was the java-openfx package.

I'd also like to note I couldn't get the latest version running on Linux. I can provide a backtrace if you like. The 1.9 version works (but not perfectly).

To get it to run on Linux you also have to modify build.bat to add a bash (or sh) shebang line, change %1 to "$1" (the double quotes are important) throughout, and make it executable. Also make sure build.bat, make_cia, and ndstool are in your PATH (you'll need Linux builds obviously; both are available on the AUR).

The tool otherwise seems to work as intended (an exception is printed after generating the files but it seems harmless). Thanks Olmectron!

I'm not much of a Java guy, but if source is available I'd be happy to contribute a patch or two to make it more Linux friendly.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple questions...
  • Do the forwarders install as DSIWare or a 3DS title
  • What does "Games are on SD card" actually do? does it store the ROM somewhere else if unchecked?
  • Does this still allow the RTS / multi-save features of the Wood kernel?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple questions...
  • Do the forwarders install as DSIWare or a 3DS title
  • What does "Games are on SD card" actually do? does it store the ROM somewhere else if unchecked?
  • Does this still allow the RTS / multi-save features of the Wood kernel?
  • They install as DSiWare titles. You can tell, because no 3DS title has a DSiWare banner.
  • If "Games are on SD card" is checked, when you pick your ROM in the flashcard, it sets to where it's at in the flashcard.
  • This is unknown.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That error (however unintuitive) for me meant I didn't have javafx installed. On Arch this was the java-openfx package.

I'd also like to note I couldn't get the latest version running on Linux. I can provide a backtrace if you like. The 1.9 version works (but not perfectly).

To get it to run on Linux you also have to modify build.bat to add a bash (or sh) shebang line, change %1 to "$1" (the double quotes are important) throughout, and make it executable. Also make sure build.bat, make_cia, and ndstool are in your PATH (you'll need Linux builds obviously; both are available on the AUR).

The tool otherwise seems to work as intended (an exception is printed after generating the files but it seems harmless). Thanks Olmectron!

I'm not much of a Java guy, but if source is available I'd be happy to contribute a patch or two to make it more Linux friendly.
Thanks for your suggestions!

I can add compatibility for the CIA generation in Linux by doing what you said, so thanks a lot.

Although, what Ketchup901 was saying is that he can't even boot the app at all. He is using ArchLinux. And while, I've been able to test it in Ubuntu and Mint, I haven't been able to test on an Arch Linux distro, yet. From the logs he shared, it seems the ArchLinux JVM (be it with Open JDK or with the official Oracle release) doesn't understand some of the internal paths in my code as internal paths (for files inside the JAR), and actually try to find those files outside the JAR executable. Why this happens is a mystery to me, and I'll need to test it properly installing an ArchLinux distro myself.

Thanks for commenting and I'll give it a look!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu