nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just simply download the latest version from nds-bootstrap's repo, and follow instructions there.
Also, please switch from TWLoader to DSiMenu++, as it supports the latest nds-bootstrap.
oh, did support for twloader die? that might explain why it didn't work last time I tried to update.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.12.1 (Rev 02)

Credits: ahezard, Gericom, Apache Thunder, Robz8, _catcatcat, shutterbug2000, and damianoamatruda.

Instructions:
  1. Download the .7z file, then extract the .nds file, to "sd:/_nds".
  2. Extract the .ver file to "sd:/_nds/dsimenuplusplus".
Bug fix
  • Fixed overlooked bug that caused games to not boot, if loading screen is set to None.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just simply download the latest version from nds-bootstrap's repo, and follow instructions there.
Also, please switch from TWLoader to DSiMenu++, as it supports the latest nds-bootstrap.
sorry for the double post but, just put the 7zip contents at the root of the sd card, install, and it'll work?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's instructions in the release page of nds-bootstrap.
it just says how to compile it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it just says how to compile it
wait, wrong section, it says stuff for uodating, not 1st time installs

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You didn't install the DSiMenu++ Launcher.
Also, make sure your ROM is AP-patched.
I had just installed both dsi++ cia's that came in he cia folder so I'm not sure where this 3rd cia may be and the ap patching I have no clue about. give me a sec and I may be able to find that cia, tingles rosey rupee land seems to work great

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had just installed both dsi++ cia's that came in he cia folder so I'm not sure where this 3rd cia may be and the ap patching I have no clue about. give me a sec and I may be able to find that cia, tingles rosey rupee land seems to work great
Don't ask me why launcher it's separately and everyone presume everybody can find out about this without help.

https://github.com/Robz8/TWiLightMenu-Launcher/releases/tag/v2.0.2

You need install 3 .cia files. This one its the home menu icon or launcher.

Reactions: jt_1258

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that just leaves figuring out what ap patching is.
Anti-anti-piracy patches are generally needed for old flashcarts to properly boot some games. Newer flashcarts have some of these built in & apply them on the fly, but TWiLight Menu++ doesn't so you have to patch them manually.
that is bizarre though how 1 application is stretched between two repositories
DSi users aren't going to need the Launcher. Besides, the launcher doesn't change as much as the actual Menu does, so no point in redownloading & reinstalling it every time.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
just want to ask if someone tested Pokemon Typing Adventure? it seems its not on the compatibility list?

and about the AP patching by some games... will the save file from AP patched games work on games that are not patched once i played them in PC emulator or vice versa? thanks

Takeshineale128

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just want to ask if someone tested Pokemon Typing Adventure? it seems its not on the compatibility list?

and about the AP patching by some games... will the save file from AP patched games work on games that are not patched once i played them in PC emulator or vice versa? thanks
Pokemon Typing Adventure is not going to work because the card as bluetooth inside of it

Last edited by Takeshineale128,
Reactions: noctis90210

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Robz: I am playing through Okamiden with an AP patch that's not listed here https://www.odrive.com/s/8443cc3a-862e-41d7-b064-09378f79f6b3-5965a89a

I used a save that was from my ds lite that has a rom cart that started about 3 hours into the game. At first it seemed after I patched it and tried to play with the save there was still anti piracy because the main character disappeared. Then I played it about another hour on my DS and tried again using bootstrap and now I'm up to 18 hours played (it's like a 25 hour game) with no further issues. So I don't really know if the save has anything to do with it or not. If it does I could provide said save using my DS. (i.e. like at the beginning of the game)

DS Rom Patcher

This could hopefully be a fix to get the game to be playable all the way through.

Last edited by Quantumcat, , Reason: Removed link to warez site
Reactions: Tarmfot

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour and it works without any issues on 11.2 (and I assume 12.1r2 too), no need for AP patches of any kind. It doesn't have an entry in the compatibility sheet, so someone should add it but don't know how to request permission for it or whatever to do it myself.

I'm thinking of trying 999 now, but I don't see it anywhere on the list. I remember it used to work but with a lot of issues, why was it taken off the sheet though?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can I use my save from drastic and if yes then where do I put it and how should I modify the file name and or its file extension

Ciseka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you fix the lags in AC:WW in the next version of nds-bootstrap? The lags are really showy, also the big lag when the camera moves down is really hard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...