Gaming Natal could of been your's nintendo...

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You guys are forgetting! You can still use the 360 controller. Think of it like the MOVE except you won't have motion controls in your hands, it'll just track your body.

Personally I have high hopes for this. I'd love to be able to play an FPS (CoD or something) with the normal 360 controls and then if I want I can have Natal on for certain gestures (IE: throwing a grenade, grabbing a new weapon ect)

This could work really well IMO. As long as they don't rely on it as heavily as the Wii does,

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Natal - but turned it down as he didn't believe he could launch it at a mass-market price.

What He means is he could not make enough money with it and that's still what it's all about ... and guess what Nintendo is still the company that makes the most money out of selling one Wii, compared tot Microsoft and Sony

Shadow&Light

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo always know when to close a bussines with someone, I think Nintendo choose right...

Besides, anything that has to do with motion-camera, will suck lol

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you supposed to make millions with Natel? Once you have the camera thats it, no more expense.

Look at the Wii. Now we have a wiimote, nunchuck and motion plus accesory all likley to break and need replacing every one to two years. And if you want four players that's four times everything. It must be a friken gold mine for Ninty.

I have had my Wii for sixteen months and have gone through two wiimotes and one of the nunchucks is getting sketchy.
grog.gif

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is easy , listen all these years motion capture has always used 3 camera's at least. Natal doing it on a single camera is just asking for trouble.

Now I'm a not a fan of MS but MS never been able to get tech working right away that they developed themselves.

So the technical issue is there minus 2 camera's and MS has the people that can do that? Very much doubt that it will allow for the same experience as the Wiimote has now.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mantis41 said:
I have had my Wii for sixteen months and have gone through two wiimotes and one of the nunchucks is getting sketchy.
grog.gif
god what do you do throw them up against a wall? i've had mine since it's launch and they all still work perfectly.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Mantis41 said:
grog.gif
god what do you do throw them up against a wall? i've had mine since it's launch and they all still work perfectly.
My boy is quite rough. One of the controllers got thrown against the wall but still worked afterwards. I think the recharging station actually killed the controllers. Also the connection to the nunchucks is getting worn as the young ones don't quite have the strength to push the tabs in properly when removing which is making them quite loose. I keep telling him to get me if he wants it removed but he seems to be intent on ripping it out himself.
wacko.gif

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Iwata knows what he's talking about. He's not just some random guy who has never played video games before and randomly became CEO. He worked for HAL laboratory at one point and he helped make Balloon Fight,Earthbound/Mother,some Kirby games and not to mention some Zelda,Mario and Animal Crossing.

Iwata has yet to make a bad decision.

Also, do we really need another EyeToy?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Mantis41 said:
My boy is quite rough. One of the controllers got thrown against the wall but still worked afterwards. I think the recharging station actually killed the controllers. Also the connection to the nunchucks is getting worn as the young ones don't quite have the strength to push the tabs in properly when removing which is making them quite loose. I keep telling him to get me if he wants it removed but he seems to be intent on ripping it out himself.
wacko.gif
Hmm...for some reason, I don't think that the natal is going to be much of a solution in your case. Though it may remove the controller in some games, I seriously doubt it'll ever completely replace them (I don't see people "air guitaring" their way through guitar hero, to name one).

Oh, and erm...from what I've heard, the battery recharging station isn't adviced, let alone supported, by nintendo (they certainly don't look that safe).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mantis41 said:
wacko.gif
i have 2 suggestions for that

1. get nimh recharge batteries them wii chargers aren't worth 2 scoops of dehydrated goat shit.
2. give him a good flogging when he throws the mote/controllers
tongue.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Nintendo likes to control their hardware and do it themselves no surprise. Also knowing how well Natal works, it would have been a mistake unless it was combined with the Wii controller itself. Natal alone is a very (and I'm oversimplifying it) beefy Eyetoy strapped with some decent AI that can moderately well detect faces, colors, eye movement, etc. The tech alone is going to be semi-limited in what it can do short of games strictly designed for it unlike Sony Move which can copycat the Wii and get shared vision projects.

Azhrei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mantis41 said:
How are you supposed to make millions with Natel? Once you have the camera thats it, no more expense.

Look at the Wii. Now we have a wiimote, nunchuck and motion plus accesory all likley to break and need replacing every one to two years. And if you want four players that's four times everything. It must be a friken gold mine for Ninty.

grog.gif

Nintendo hardware is notably rugged in design. I've been using Nintendo's stuff since the early days of the SNES, and the only accessories (first-party, not third) I've known to break were the weakening of the N64's analogue sticks over time, and my friend's SNES refusing to work at one point... and that was because his toddler brother rubbed a bar of soap all along it's connectors. What the hell are you doing with your controllers that you have already broken two remotes and a nunchuck after only a year and a few months of use? I've had my Wii since launch day, it gets a lot of use and nothing has broken yet... and I don't expect anything to.

Because Nintendo makes them. And besides, your point about Natal not selling is moot, because while the Wii does have a lot of accessories, Nintendo makes the vast majority of their money from the software, not the hardware. Same with Microsoft, who will probably sell Natal at a loss to get it into people's homes, then make money on the games.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Azhrei said:
Nintendo hardware is notably rugged in design. I've been using Nintendo's stuff since the early days of the SNES, and the only accessories (first-party, not third) I've known to break were the weakening of the N64's analogue sticks over time, and my friend's SNES refusing to work at one point... and that was because his toddler brother rubbed a bar of soap all along it's connectors. What the hell are you doing with your controllers that you have already broken two remotes and a nunchuck after only a year and a few months of use? I've had my Wii since launch day, it gets a lot of use and nothing has broken yet... and I don't expect anything to.
Not sure if you have had much experience with 5 year olds. My lad can break just about anything. He has a knack for it even when he is trying to be carefull.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.