Natal could of been your's nintendo...

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by chartube12, Mar 18, 2010.

Mar 18, 2010
  1. chartube12
    OP

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232754

Do you think nintendo made a mistake turning down natal?

Personally, I can't imagine a system w/o a controller or something to hold in my hand. That being said, if the wii would of had this type of tech plus the wii-mote, I could see more (better?) 3rd party support.

2. bnwchbammer

Member bnwchbammer GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo seems to be very... strict on the fact that they really only want the motion stuff. No cameras, no other weird stuff... Iunno, we'll see how it goes with Microsoft. Honestly though, I don't think it would work on the Wii. Not exactly sure why... just doesn't feel right.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Considering the time of the refusal (end 2007), I'd say it was a very decent choice. The wii already had motion sensing (the wiimote), and the wii fit boards were just hitting the markets. The added value for the customers wouldn't be so much, which means that not that many people would buy it (plenty of ppl didn't 'upgrade' to the wiimote plus either...and it looks like the producing cost of that natal thing is higher, so it'd be more expensive for us as well).

That, and I really can't see how it would sway 3rd party support. Take a look at the 3rd party support for the wiimote plus: it's not exactly devastating.

Of course I'm speculating about using the natal for the wii. If the wii ever gets a sequel, that technology seems like a logical step to use.

4. yellowperil

Newcomer yellowperil Member

Greece
    I think anything using camera to detect movement will fail in the long run, your gonna have to mess around with lighting and so forth in your room, and work a rounds and such will be more intrusive with using a camera, than a sensor within the device.

Using both camera and sensor, your still going to have a point of failure on the camera in my opinion, if you have ever used camera tracking software you will know what I mean.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    peeps say you look like an idiot using the mote waggling all the time and using stupid gestures using it. well imagine how stupid your gonna look waving and flailing your arms around like a complete tard with natal? [​IMG] M$ can KEEP IT [​IMG]

6. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    If NATAL works like it should, nintendo made a huge mistake. (just because of how amazing the motion sensing has to be to work properly for NATAL)

NATAL has huge potential for being amazing. I'm glad it's on the 360 though. Developers for 360 games aren't scared of making a game rated 18+, meaning some pretty cool games could be developed for NATAL.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    1) They (Nintendo) made a Wii game that uses a camera already (Your Shape)

2) If the current XBOX 360 is not powerful enough to cope with NATAL causing it to lag so much they are considering releasing a whole new console just to be able to use it.. then what the hell hope does/would the paltry underpowered Wii have in using the technology!?

3) Motion camera games are not a new thing Playstation had the EYETOY for PS2 a LONG time ago (1999) albeit a pretty crude one it worked!

8. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ya i'm sure nintendo is terribly disappointed with making money hand over fist.

9. crook

Member crook GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    back then the technology was shit. I don't think it's better now but maybe it will draw away some casual housewives to the 360

10. Occult Tech

Newcomer Occult Tech Member

United Kingdom
    Natal will be bunk.

Milo is fake.

Molyneux is Satan.

... and it's 'have' not 'of'.

11. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    +1

12. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

I can see it now NATAL IRONING,NATAL DISH WASHING,NATAL COOKING LUNCH,NATAL VACUUMING ... endless housewife type fun eh!? [​IMG]

13. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I heard that the CPU power project natal requires is a big issue. Microsoft decided to let the XBox 360 to do all the work with detecting objects and movements on the camera, which results much less processing power useable for the games. Now consider nintendo's options for this:
    1. Let the Wii do all the work ==> do you think wii games look bad NOW?
    2. Add CPU power to the natal update itself ==> Wait and see how expensive natal will be, then add 50-100 bucks to it

14. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Nice arguing. It misses any logic, though.

-just because NATAL works like it should (let's assume that it does)...that doesn't automatically mean nintendo made a mistake. The price is an important factor. Take the wii: even though technologically inferior to the PS3 and the XBOX360, it still manages to pull in great sales. The fact that the wii is cheaper is pretty much the deciding factor in that*.

-I could argue the wii has its share of 18+ games or that an 18+ label doesn't make a game cool...but that's not the important part. What matters is that there is no connection whatsoever between NATAL's motion sensoring and hardcore games.

*a couple months back, a bunch of friends and me spent a weekend together. One of them brought a xbox360, I had my wii. Right now, one of the other participants bought a wii and a second friend is seriously considering it. The reason: those black wii's are just too cheap NOT to buy 'em

15. chartube12
    OP

United States
    1A. Natal had a chip or two M$ took out to make it cheaper. I can imagine, the chips were it's own ram and cpu.

1B. Nintendo thought Natal was took expensive to market it at a cheap price point. Possiblly because of the extra chips. W/o extra chips, it wouldn't even run right with 3d games on Wii.

You shape and it's camera were designed by ubisoft. Well the camera was designed by ubisoft. Not sure about the game it self.

16. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Over here the xbox 360 is cheaper than the wii from the prices I have seen anyway.

17. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    That's often the stores' fault, charging extra for a Nintendo product is nothing new.

18. chartube12
    OP

United States
    360- 99.99 gbp equals 192.29 american.

Wii- 139.99 gbp equals 267.21 american.

Wow you guys are getting ripped off over there.

19. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Let´s explain: Iwata refuse Natal´s Technology in 2007.

In 2007, the Israeli company 3DV Systems showed to the Nintendo president "Satoru Iwata", along with other bigwigs of the company of Kyoto, a demonstration of the technology as we now know as Natal, the technology was rejected because they thought it would be feasible to launch a large market at an affordable price.

Despite rejecting, Iwata was impressed by the potential of that tecnology, but refused to implement it on the Wii, leaving the door open for other companies to buy, Nintendo was one of the first choices of the creators of Natal, but he refused.

3DV showed them the camera to detect 3D movement and voice recognition, but Iwata was not convinced that could be sold to a "Nintendo price", was also concerned about the latency during the game.

This information can also confirm that the Israeli company 3DV Systems is behind Natal, which until now Microsoft has not certified.

Iwata's statements on the price of Natal would fit with recent reports that Microsoft has removed a chip from Natal to save costs of R & D.

Was I right in thinking that Iwata Natal have latency issues?, Only time will tell us the moment we know that Natal will come into play later this year.

20. KevInChester

Member KevInChester GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Sega Activator mkII [​IMG]