NASA Finds Planet That Could Have Life

Taellon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We wouldn't be crushed instantly there, 2.5 times our weight may be much heavier than we're used to, and maybe even more than we could successful adapt to, but we could still visit the planet without dying(assuming the rest of it's characteristics are like earths, for arguments sake) from our weight.

The thing to keep in mind, continuing the though of similar density, the escape velocity of the planet would be much higher. We have a hard enough time getting off this small rock of ours, imagine how huge the rockets would have to be to get off that planet. And here I'm just making this idea up but, could that planet have high enough escape velocity requirements that they don't lose their helium like we do?

Also, love that DBZ comment.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted-236924

76033.jpg

This picture shows Mars as being in the habitable zone, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something in a science book at school (two years ago, in fact) that showed the opposite.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We wouldn't be crushed instantly there, 2.5 times our weight may be much heavier than we're used to, and maybe even more than we could successful adapt to, but we could still visit the planet without dying(assuming the rest of it's characteristics are like earths, for arguments sake) from our weight.

The thing to keep in mind, continuing the though of similar density, the escape velocity of the planet would be much higher. We have a hard enough time getting off this small rock of ours, imagine how huge the rockets would have to be to get off that planet. And here I'm just making this idea up but, could that planet have high enough escape velocity requirements that they don't lose their helium like we do?

All I have to add at the moment, is that we would have to spend a lot of time getting around the physical deterioration human beings suffer from prolonged weightlessness or low-gravity environments before we could dream of successfully migrating from our own atmospheric pressure and gravity habitat to anything significantly far away / not closely resembling our own.
The animated film Wall-E shows how generations of people lived as barely-functional blobs living in their spaceship, yet they some how managed to be able to walk on Earth. XD

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha... It will never happen. The life is us and this very Earth. Nothing else. Silly NASA.

silly how ? stop been so close minded i know there could be a chance we are the only ones after all for life to happen you need lots of conditions but the universe is infinite the is chance that another planet some how manage to breed life waters is not only found on earth

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Whatever we end up finding, if we find anything at all, they better be friendly.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans. We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach."

~ Stephen Hawkings

I can't say I disagree with him. If alien intelligent life is anything like us, I certainly wouldn't want to meet them.

Reactions: 1 person

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
of course there's aliens out there you'd have to be a fool to think were alone being how big this universe is but their probably no where near us.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of us has tried to contact us.
~Calvin

Reactions: 3 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever we end up finding, if we find anything at all, they better be friendly.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans. We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach."

~ Stephen Hawkings

I can't say I disagree with him. If alien intelligent life is anything like us, I certainly wouldn't want to meet them.

Stephen Hawking certainly has a point, but I'd like to think that any species capable of interstellar communications and travel would be more enlightened than the civilizations that conquered the Americas. Call me an optimist.

And as I said, even if things do go south, we have one thing (among a long, long list) the Native Americans didn't: Will Smith. He can get jiggy with it, fight off aliens, stem a robot uprising, and overcome poverty to become a wealthy stockbroker; the man can't lose.

Reactions: 6 people

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the radius of the planet is 2.4 times that of the earth?
which means the mass of that planet is probably a lot higher than earth's (depending of course on what the planet's made of, for all we know density could be lower than earth's)
and if the mass is that much higher, then gravity is higher too which means... if you were to set foot on the planet, you would feel like you're 2 to 2.5 times your own weight.
if you weigh 80kg/176lbs here like me on earth, on that planet you would weigh 200kg/440lbs.
Comfortable much?
come to think of it.... yeah.. it also depends on the density
a bigger radius doenst always means bigger mass, it means bigger volume. The mass of the planet also depends on the density of it (D=m/v).
Maybe this planet has lower density than earth, resulting in a similar mass. Wich means that proably the gravity is not so different from our 9,81 m/s2

Reactions: 2 people

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
the radius of the planet is 2.4 times that of the earth?
which means the mass of that planet is probably a lot higher than earth's (depending of course on what the planet's made of, for all we know density could be lower than earth's)
and if the mass is that much higher, then gravity is higher too which means... if you were to set foot on the planet, you would feel like you're 2 to 2.5 times your own weight.
if you weigh 80kg/176lbs here like me on earth, on that planet you would weigh 200kg/440lbs.
Comfortable much?
come to think of it.... yeah.. it also depends on the density
a bigger radius doenst always means bigger mass, it means bigger volume. The mass of the planet also depends on the density of it (D=m/v).
Maybe this planet has lower density than earth, resulting in a similar mass. Wich means that proably the gravity is not so different from our 9,81 m/s2
Wow, forgot about that. This is true, or it could be so much more dense and literally impossible to inhabit. So many possibilities.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
This planet is 600 light years away.
That means it would take 1,200 years to get to it if we could travel at HALF the speed of light, or 2,400 years at a quarter the speed of light. Which is actually not even possible, in fact if we were to leave now, with todays fastest rocket, averaging travelling one light year every 70 human years, and having enough fuel, it would take 42,000 years to get close to it.

(If we do find life on this planet it would take 600 years to say Hello and, if they can send back, would take another 600 years for a reply)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1