ROM Hack Nanashi no Game

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
choconado: Yeah, you're right. and they get a lot of respect from me too for that. I must admit that I got a little hot headed, but it's all due to what I thought was attacks on a team of people I do respect.

To the team: Is there any specific part you're working on at the moment?

summvs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the moment, still mostly Nagato's coding work and Ryusui polishing graphic text. We're also finding odd bits and pieces of text to be translated, but nothing very big.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Sanky said:
-snip snippity snip snip-
To be honest, I don't see the point of hiding the whole thing, either. Translations should be collaborative so mistakes can be picked early on and controversial parts decided upon publicly. Can we at least get to hear why this isn't happening? Before you starts on this again, nobody says we're entitled to it, but there's no real point in not doing it if it the patch could only benefit from it — and I think we all want to see the translation be good.
seriously, whether or not you see the point of anything doesn't change the fact that in the end, they're the ones putting in the work and not you or anyone else who disagrees with the way they're doing things. people can ask for updates, but none have rights to demand such updates, whether it be based on output evidences or some other guy's wild expectations that the universe should bow down before them or whatnot.

all this whining about how translators should do their work is what killed the ASH translation, and i'm still nursing that wound, so expect me to rage those people on sight. >:(

...ahem. i'm tempted to snip the entire rant, seeing as the thread seems to be quiet and back on track, but i couldn't resist. sorry.

Goveynetcom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
summvs said:
At the moment, still mostly Nagato's coding work and Ryusui polishing graphic text. We're also finding odd bits and pieces of text to be translated, but nothing very big.

Sounds good
smile.gif
. Really glad to see you guys working so diligently on a translation.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferofax said:
Sanky said:
-snip snippity snip snip-
To be honest, I don't see the point of hiding the whole thing, either. Translations should be collaborative so mistakes can be picked early on and controversial parts decided upon publicly. Can we at least get to hear why this isn't happening? Before you starts on this again, nobody says we're entitled to it, but there's no real point in not doing it if it the patch could only benefit from it — and I think we all want to see the translation be good.
seriously, whether or not you see the point of anything doesn't change the fact that in the end, they're the ones putting in the work and not you or anyone else who disagrees with the way they're doing things. people can ask for updates, but none have rights to demand such updates, whether it be based on output evidences or some other guy's wild expectations that the universe should bow down before them or whatnot.

all this whining about how translators should do their work is what killed the ASH translation, and i'm still nursing that wound, so expect me to rage those people on sight. >:(

You say it like it's difficult to not listen to people.

...ahem. i'm tempted to snip the entire rant, seeing as the thread seems to be quiet and back on track, but i couldn't resist. sorry.
Don't worry, I saved it for you.

Ryusui

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
watercrown.info
XP
Country
United States
Look, the guy's obviously a troll. He makes himself look legit by offering resources and then rips into the project. He did this exact same thing with the Portopia thread on RHDN. I imagine he bullied his way into that Telefang project he mentioned in similar fashion.

He hasn't offered one legitimate criticism of this project except that we haven't thrown open the doors and shown off our entire work to the world.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryusui said:
Look, the guy's obviously a troll. He makes himself look legit by offering resources and then rips into the project. He did this exact same thing with the Portopia thread on RHDN.
Oh, you.

Man, that was a great translation -- I forget if you were one of the people that worked on it. I really hope you were, because that would make everything absolutely beautiful.

But in case you forgot, their translation had many issues that I attempted to bring up in an honest fashion; for example, all of the menu options were too verbose ("_______ someone", "________ something" instead of the one-word versions), the translation felt like it was done via dictionary and Babelfish, and the authors helpfully inserted explanations of concepts into the text.

QUOTEThere's some graffiti on the wall. "A MONSTER ATTACKS YOU"
(This is the programmer secretly wishing he could work on Dragon Warrior!)

I made an updated version that redid the menus to be cleaner, added a Courier-based font (it is a detective story, and Dragon Warrior is the least fitting choice), cleaned up some of the more aggrivating instances of the work... and was accused of stealing their work.

The best part is that the original credit line they hacked themselves onto the title was left completely alone.

Honestly, just take your bullshit and shove it. And for the record, no, I have no association with the Telefang project other than happening to know someone who works on it. I just like the way they handle things instead of having 37 sticks crammed up their ass bitching about nonexistent translation theft and boohooing whenever someone has an issue with their work.

P.S. Here's that translation that Ryusui loves so much.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQmuHi0grE[/youtube]

TAP ON OR HIT SOMETHING

(The best part is that they did end up taking at least some of my advice, and released an updated version that made some things somewhat better. Maybe I should accuse them of stealing my ideas.)

Sanky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ferofax said:

I'm sorry to use the old canned response, but did even you read what I said? I never demanded (or even asked for) work—we all know that translations cannot be rushed. In fact, what I'm suggesting would slow down the actual patch release, because there would be time to consolidate and discuss important matters about the patch with everybody, instead of the translators (arguably, selfishly) deciding for themselves.

My question still stands: what's the point of doing everything yourselves?

duckmouth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sanky said:
instead of the translators (arguably, selfishly) deciding for themselves.

Between you and Xkeeper I don't know who is the bigger dickhead. If I were in charge of this project I'd scrap the whole lot. "Selfishly"? Fucking absurd.

Mods, you should have been on top of this a long time ago. The atmosphere (so to speak) on this thread has been ruined, and you have done little or nothing to prevent it.

Sanky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
duckmouth said:
Sanky said:
instead of the translators (arguably, selfishly) deciding for themselves.

Between you and Xkeeper I don't know who is the bigger dickhead. If I were in charge of this project I'd scrap the whole lot. "Selfishly"? Fucking absurd.

Mods, you should have been on top of this a long time ago. The atmosphere (so to speak) on this thread has been ruined, and you have done little or nothing to prevent it.
I knew somebody was going to pinpoint that one word, which is why I included a short disclaimer in the form of the word "arguably". I'm not going to explain its meaning here, but be aware that I'm not trying to attack anybody, and I never said that it's exactly my opinion—but I stand behind the fact that these actions can be considered selfish by some.

Can we get past words, please? The topic at hand is a lot more interesting than the form some of us discussing it by, and the rest of my post still stands.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duckmouth said:
Sanky said:
selfishly
dickhead

In the absence of an intelligent counterargument, cherry picking words and calling the other a dickhead is always an acceptable alternative.

P.S.
selfish: Lacking consideration for others
This definition could easily be applicable (by refusing to consider any suggestion and instead counter-arguing irrelevant points about theft and other asinine statements), but hey, you keep that up.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Will all of you just shut up? I came here to see if there's anything new with the project, not to read your irrelevant banter! If this continues, I'll call a mod to lock this thread and if that happens it's not likely there will be ANY updates at all.

You're all acting so childish. The actual argument ended around a page or two after it started, yet you're letting it continue. Drop it and ignore any further arguing. There is nothing more to say that hasn't already been said. Xkeeper is likely a troll, so reacting to his/her 'argument' now is only feeding them and causing the argument to last even longer. If you all would just shut up and ignore Xkeeper for a few hours, MAYBE this thread could get back on topic and start sounding like a translation project thread again instead of a lowly End of Forum spam topic!

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Will all of you just shut up? I came here to see if there's anything new with the project
You may have missed the part where they said they were keeping all of the details of the project private until a full release, but honestly, you pretty much lost all legitimacy when you made empty threats to close the thread and for thinking that doing so will kill the project entirely, as if gbatemp is the only forum on the internet where translations occur.

You are pretty funny, though, I'll give you that.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xkeeper, I agree with what you said but...really, you've seen what people are saying, it's really not going to get anywhere.

Sora de Eclaune said:
Will all of you just shut up? I came here to see if there's anything new with the project, not to read your irrelevant banter! If this continues, I'll call a mod to lock this thread and if that happens it's not likely there will be ANY updates at all.

You're all acting so childish. The actual argument ended around a page or two after it started, yet you're letting it continue. Drop it and ignore any further arguing. There is nothing more to say that hasn't already been said. Xkeeper is likely a troll, so reacting to his/her 'argument' now is only feeding them and causing the argument to last even longer. If you all would just shut up and ignore Xkeeper for a few hours, MAYBE this thread could get back on topic and start sounding like a translation project thread again instead of a lowly End of Forum spam topic!

He's not. And I'm being honest here.

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
Xkeeper, I agree with what you said but...really, you've seen what people are saying, it's really not going to get anywhere.
Oh, I know, rest assured. They've made that very clear.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I am sorry Sora the Eclaune, but I'll have to reply this one time to Xkeeper:

You've got a few things wrong here bud. First, they haven't said they'll keep EVERYTHING private until full release, there have been a few updates which you've even commented on (that they only show the beginning, or whatever it was you said before). So yes, there will be some updates on the progress.
Second, Sora didn't say that locking this thread would "kill the project entirely", just that the updates i refered to in the first point wouldn't be posted here. So that the few updates we have would turn into no updates (until finished (as in not killing the project)). Neither did he say gbatemp is the only forum in the world, nor was it an empty threat.

Another point, is that you think the translators should be called selfish because they "counter-arguing irrelevant points about theft and other asinine statements". Well, the translators never posted anything like that, and you said it yourself before that they were the only ones who gave you intelligent replies and weren't idiots. Unlike me, who is stupid, an idiot, (oh and hey, English isn't my first language which probably also makes me even more an idiot).

Then, your comment "In the absence of an intelligent counterargument, cherry picking words and calling the other a dickhead is always an acceptable alternative.", must I remind you that you yourself keep on calling people idiots... I don't know English all that well, and didn't realise that "idiot" was a much better counterargument than "dickhead"..

And Finally, you say they are selfish. because they refuse to consider suggestions. I've suggested one thing, which they already thought of, which means they considered it, but were ahead of me.
I say they aren't selfish, because they know how to translate a game, they know all the text of the game, yet, they give us who don't the opportunity to play and understand that game. for free. That is the opposite to selfish in my eyes.

My guesses for you're next move now:
You're going to call me an idiot. complain about my spelling. totally miss the point of what i'm trying to say... or just simply ignore this post. (and maybe, you're going to single out one word from this wall of text, and nitpick about it)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Sora the Eclaune
Sora de Eclaune. No the.

Issac said:
he
why.jpg

Issac said:
they refuse to consider suggestions.
I suggested a font for them to use on some images, and they spoke of it as if they implemented the font in the game. That makes the argument about refusal to consider suggestions null and void.

QUOTE(Issac @ Sep 7 2011, 05:22 PM)
(and maybe, you're going to single out one word from this wall of text, and nitpick about it)
Whoops, I just did that. Sorry!

Xkeeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
You've got a few things wrong here bud. First, they haven't said they'll keep EVERYTHING private until full release
protip

QUOTE said:
Second, Sora didn't say that locking this thread would "kill the project entirely", just that the updates i refered to in the first point wouldn't be posted here. So that the few updates we have would turn into no updates (until finished (as in not killing the project)). Neither did he say gbatemp is the only forum in the world, nor was it an empty threat.

Tip: Posting a finished patch would be an update on the project status.

QUOTE said:
I'll call a mod to lock this thread and if that happens it's not likely there will be ANY updates at all.
Just for reference, here's the original line.

QUOTE said:
Another point, is that you think the translators should be called selfish
I didn't say they were at any point and I am disregarding the rest of this paragraph because if you can't understand that then you really don't deserve any more of a response.

QUOTE said:
Then, your comment "In the absence of an intelligent counterargument, cherry picking words and calling the other a dickhead is always an acceptable alternative.", must I remind you that you yourself keep on calling people idiots... I don't know English all that well, and didn't realise that "idiot" was a much better counterargument than "dickhead"..
First, it's "realize". This is another instance where your web browser provides a helpful red line to inform you of your inability to comprehend spelling.

Second, that's the point. I contemplated adding the word ", dickhead" to my post to make that all the more obvious, and I guess I overestimated your ability to comprehend the finer points of snark and mockery. But whatever.

QUOTE said:
And Finally, you say they are selfish
See above. Get your head out of your ass and try again.

QUOTE said:
My guesses for you are next move now:
Unfortunately, web browsers do not have Microsoft Word's useful green line for grammar blunders, but I'm sure they're working on that.

QUOTEYou're going to call me an idiot.
Ding!

complain about my spelling.
He's on a roll!

totally miss the point of what i'm trying to say...
Ooh, he might just get all of th--

or just simply ignore this post. (and maybe, you're going to single out one word from this wall of text, and nitpick about it)
D'oh. You were so close!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...