Hacking N64 Emulator for DSTWO !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
N64 emulation on an SCDSTWO would be possible, but it would be unplayable.

Games would run very slowly as it's all about Floating Point Unit...

The DS doesn't have an FPU and AFAIK, neither does the DSTWO. Without an FPU, it will be unbearably slow and the DSTWO's CPU isn't powerful enough to compensate for it.

Plus, think about it logically. How many buttons did the N64 controller have? Now how many does the DS have?...

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SixtySixHundred said:
Plus, think about it logically. How many buttons did the N64 controller have? Now how many does the DS have?...

If it were possible, which it probably isn't, then they could add buttons on the touchscreen. You couldn't use two touchscreen buttons at once though...

Also, I doubt they will do it if they have not heard of normatt.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred touched up on an important fact. Without an FPU, floating-point numbers would have to be emulated as well, and that in itself is strenuous, which is why it's looked down upon with DS development.

So, without 3D hardware acceleration, no FPU, emulating any 64-bit instructions with a 32-bit processor, etc.........no sense to even attempt it imo.

I'd rather see a Playstation emulator, which is a more reasonable option.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if anyone has listened
we made the desision of doing a differnt project
either a moonshell alternative or something like psptube
its been awhile since we decided it was impossible to do n64
p.s. im the same bigpaws on the supercard and leader of team komka
our forum is http://teamkomka.46.forumer.com/
wolfmaster and i will be creating graphics while irock and yo will be programing
i totally thing youtube on dstwo is possible with long buffer times due to connection
but it would work
its not like you need a gpu for flash
or not one more powerful then the ds
as for the media player, i think we are fed up with moonshells menus and sound quality
equs and sound ajustments are needed
irock has made a media player for pc once so i think he is knoledgeable enough
and yo knows alot
i am an expert at creating graphics for programs etc with simple tools like paint.net
nintendo-dsi.jpg

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flash is not supported on the DS. HTML5 has a slim chance of being able to be implemented... But with the 3DS coming soon it's not really worth it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The thing with online connectivity with the DSTWO is that you have to download data via WiFi to the DS memory, and then transfer that to the DSTWO card. So far, the only things I've seen that get sent to the DSTWO from the DS is input (from buttons and touch screen). That's very little (like 8 bytes at most needed per frame, so essentially 480 bytes a second), but with downloading anything online, you're gonna be dealing a ton of data, so the question is...

"Just how much data can be uploaded to the DSTWO in a second, and can it be any kind of data, or is it restricted?"

kinio_64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
N64 emulation on DS2 why not? everybody says that SCD2 cpu is not enough but if you check history of N64 emulation on PC then you will find "Corn" a program that was able to run N64 games on pentium 233Mhz class PC with software only renderer! at full speed!
"Corn" was in development for almost 1 year, too bad its author died not long after last version release. Corn was written mainly in assembler and it use highly optimized "High level emulation"...
If programmer with a bit of talent and experience will sit down and work on it then even software emulation of N64 is possible on 300+ mhz DStwo
smile.gif
there will be ofc some issues with low amount of RAM
frown.gif
even corn needed to load whole game to ram and then recompile instructions on the fly in its instruction cache...

deagle67

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello, I'm a member of the Team Komka for the N64 emulator
but I won't make this N64 emulator.
not because it's hard, but because most people sees only the negative things of the work
nothing POSITIVE, no motivation from the gamers, so why would we make something for the gamers when those gamers are so stupid and negative ?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
kinio_64 said:
N64 emulation on DS2 why not? everybody says that SCD2 cpu is not enough but if you check history of N64 emulation on PC then you will find "Corn" a program that was able to run N64 games on pentium 233Mhz class PC with software only renderer! at full speed!
"Corn" was in development for almost 1 year, too bad its author died not long after last version release. Corn was written mainly in assembler and it use highly optimized "High level emulation"...
If programmer with a bit of talent and experience will sit down and work on it then even software emulation of N64 is possible on 300+ mhz DStwo
smile.gif
frown.gif
even corn needed to load whole game to ram and then recompile instructions on the fly in its instruction cache...

According to information about the Corn emulator, only 2 games really ran well on it. Mario64 and WaveRace64, and even those had defects, but nothing serious. And, it couldn't run full speed on a 233Mhz Pentium II without 3D acceleration (the 3DFX Voodoo 1 was the test card in that experiment).

QUOTE(deagle67 @ Aug 15 2010, 09:37 AM) hello, I'm a member of the Team Komka for the N64 emulator
not because it's hard, but because most people sees only the negative things of the work
nothing POSITIVE, no motivation from the gamers, so why would we make something for the gamers when those gamers are so stupid and negative ?

So, after the team can't even start the project because of installation issues, no emulation knowledge, and doesn't even consider the ramifications required to even begin a porting project, you're telling us that we're stupid and negative because we understand that your team bit off more than they could chew? Had your problems and neglect not become public, you wouldn't see nearly as much negativity about your attempt. Not only that, but some of that "negative" feedback comes in the form of what can and what can't be done with the project. No 3D acceleration, no FPU, etc. These are all important to N64 emulation that the DSTWO doesn't offer.

So, don't come here blaming us because you are "incapable" of working on the project. It's not our fault that you're not doing it. It's yours. If you really thought you had a chance, you'd ignore the negativity, and prove everyone wrong.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i guess no one wants to read my post? seriously
i said we aint doing a n64 emulator
corn ran well b/c of its 32 bit architecture
and idc how slow it would be it could still do a youtube app
wait a day for a vid to buffer then watch it
idk maybe a guy sitting nextto a hotel with no money or anything but a ds with ds2 wants to wait to watch a get rich quick vid
yaynds.gif

deagle67

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DiscostewSM said:
kinio_64 said:
smile.gif
frown.gif

According to information about the Corn emulator, only 2 games really ran well on it. Mario64 and WaveRace64, and even those had defects, but nothing serious. And, it couldn't run full speed on a 233Mhz Pentium II without 3D acceleration (the 3DFX Voodoo 1 was the test card in that experiment).

QUOTE(deagle67 @ Aug 15 2010, 09:37 AM) hello, I'm a member of the Team Komka for the N64 emulator

So, after the team can't even start the project because of installation issues, no emulation knowledge, and doesn't even consider the ramifications required to even begin a porting project, you're telling us that we're stupid and negative because we understand that your team bit off more than they could chew? Had your problems and neglect not become public, you wouldn't see nearly as much negativity about your attempt. Not only that, but some of that "negative" feedback comes in the form of what can and what can't be done with the project. No 3D acceleration, no FPU, etc. These are all important to N64 emulation that the DSTWO doesn't offer.

So, don't come here blaming us because you are "incapable" of working on the project. It's not our fault that you're not doing it. It's yours. If you really thought you had a chance, you'd ignore the negativity, and prove everyone wrong.

I was talking about gamers only, not about people with knowledge on emulators and programming
you know, those who always say "this XXX program sux, it doesn't work" without even understanding what they are using
to make this emulator possible, we need good people to JOIN us, not to BLAME us

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Team Komka, please do research about your projects before announcing your plans to forums as flammable as GBAtemp.

If you plan to pompously announce your fantastic emulator or program on any site, it's gonna be met with some skepticism. Why? Because more often than not, these little homebrew "teams" consist of nothing more of a few kids that somehow get the idea that coding a homebrew program is easy as cake, and that it's a learn-as-you-go sort of thing. But in reality, it takes research, diligence, and an unfathomable amount of technical knowhow.

When the "team" finally finds out that they need to know something to create DS homebrew, Then they lose interest, and move on to their next fantasy project. Stir, repeat. It's a sad fact.

Now, why should I believe that you guys aren't just another one of those "teams"?

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
(Just because Normmatt says no doesnt mean anything, he could just be like a kid who is sad that he thinks they will actually do it and he can't, though sadly I highly doubt it.....)

He didn't say ANTHING about making or even TRYING to make aN64 emu, besides i have never seen you guys make any homebrew before

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bigpaws said:
if anyone has listened
we made the desision of doing a differnt project
either a moonshell alternative or something like psptube
its been awhile since we decided it was impossible to do n64
wolfmaster and i will be creating graphics while irock and yo will be programing
i totally thing youtube on dstwo is possible with long buffer times due to connection
but it would work
its not like you need a gpu for flash
or not one more powerful then the ds
as for the media player, i think we are fed up with moonshells menus and sound quality
equs and sound ajustments are needed
irock has made a media player for pc once so i think he is knoledgeable enough
and yo knows alot
i am an expert at creating graphics for programs etc with simple tools like paint.net
You're stupid.

Kids, stop thinking you can make something like this, it is impossible without a great amount of experience beforehand. And even if you succeed in making a YouTube homebrew program, it'll just be unusable because of the buffering times you've already touched upon. Nobody wants to use something that takes hours to load a video.

Learn to code properly, grow up or give up. It's your choice.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
who knows, probably we will be all wrong and the emulator works great? Just let them do, don't blame young people to be interested and a bit overexcited, if it works it works, if it won't its no problem too.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It's one thing to be intimidated by someone who is right in your face because of potential consequences. It's completely different to be intimidated over the internet when those intimidating are hiding behind their monitors, trying to act tough when they themselves have probably been picked on before, and this is their revenge. You don't know them, and they don't know you, so whatever they say mustn't intimidate you into letting them win a fight that they had no control over at the very beginning.

When someone says "your stuff sucks", you don't take that to heart and let them win. You think to yourself, "this is one person's opinion out of thousands or more. If there's one person who should make the final decision, it shouldn't be that person. It is my decision, and I won't let them influence me."

Now, I and others have pointed out possible problems with an N64 emulator on the DSTWO, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

No 3D acceleration? How well can you develop a software renderer?
No FPU? Is there a way around it? Would converting floating-point to fixed-point, and doing calculations that way be a problem? Floating point numbers are really only for accuracy imo, so would a little margin of error hurt?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
corn ran well b/c of its 32 bit architecture

No, it's too easy. I'm not going to get in on this. Just please, read some more books about computers before you make statements like that, fella. Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday