Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Brian10122 said:
Njrg said:
Even if N64 emulation was possible, it would be years before the 1st beta emulator can run a rom...

The 3DS is still a year later, and you have to give time for hacking and such, it may be 4 or 5 years from now before we see anything N64 working on 3DS.

Dudedudeuddueudueduedue.

No

Daedalus.

ok?
yes however how many homebrew makers on DS are dedicated enough to create something like that?
the DS homebrew scene is a joke compared the psp homebrew scene, both have just about died now though
I think daedalus we had like 4 different groups using the source trying to improve it and we still dont have a proper release, I dont think it still active anymore

1. Daedalus is active still
2. This is 3DS, not DS
3. 3DS is bound to lure in PSP homebrew coders.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Brian10122 said:
ether2802 said:
It wont have, nor we'll see some hacker being able to create a full speed emulator for it, look at the Wii emu.....it has been there for like 2 and half years now, is it at least on beta state...?? so NO, cause by the time someone even think on starting an N64 emulator for the 3DS, "N" will present a new handheld...!!
biggrin.gif

....Are you... serious? Jesus, I'm guessing you've never played a PSP before, or even heard of Daedalus. Even then, I can imagine PJ64 being able to run on 3DS.

And you are right..!! I've never played a PSP before (nor after), Is the 3DS powerfull than the Wii..?? cause if it is then maaaaaaaaaybe...!!

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Brian10122 said:
ether2802 said:
It wont have, nor we'll see some hacker being able to create a full speed emulator for it, look at the Wii emu.....it has been there for like 2 and half years now, is it at least on beta state...?? so NO, cause by the time someone even think on starting an N64 emulator for the 3DS, "N" will present a new handheld...!!
biggrin.gif

....Are you... serious? Jesus, I'm guessing you've never played a PSP before, or even heard of Daedalus. Even then, I can imagine PJ64 being able to run on 3DS.

And you are right..!! I've never played a PSP before (nor after), Is the 3DS powerfull than the Wii..?? cause if it is then maaaaaaaaaybe...!!

Yes, 3DS is said to be more powerful than the wii. Also, PSP (if I'm correct) is less powerful than the wii (333MHz processor) and can run N64 games full speed

By the way, part of the reason N64 emulation is so hard on Wii is because it uses a rarely known IBM processor. The Wii has a processor of 729MHz compared to PSP's 333MHz, so we would probably normally be able to go full speed. All we need is hard work and progress and we could easily push even further past full speed. Even then, watching a video from April shows we've made a lot of progress. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPmUteexV3w )

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
So that would mean that it's not just about the raw power, other things are involved in an emulator working or not, right? Since Wii > PSP but Wii Emu < PSP Emu...

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
davidsl_128 said:
So that would mean that it's not just about the raw power, other things are involved in an emulator working or not, right? Since Wii > PSP but Wii Emu < PSP Emu...

Well, it's also depending on the progress the devs have made in simplicity. Also sometimes even the amount of RAM can matter. The Saturn emulator for PSP, yabause, can only run on PSP slims because of the slim having 50mb ram, compared to Phat's 25mb.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I wonder if WiFi multiplayer would be a possibility.
Whether on VC or a homebrew emulator, I'd love to see it happen.I doubt it. Locally-played games don't have to account for latency, but networked games do. The games for the N64 have no method of dealing with latency because it was never a possible issue, however over WiFi it will be a constant.

Ever played a game where it was so laggy everybody else was jumping/teleporting around? That happens when the latency is more than the game is made to handle. N64 games aren't made to handle any at all, so they'd be like that pretty much constantly... unless nintendo decides to modify the ROM image and the emulator specifically to add all this network-handling code like some PC emulators do.

But then they'd rather just spend extra time coding multiplayer for an actual Wii/3DS game that people would pay full price for...

Brian10122 said:
Yes, 3DS is said to be more powerful than the wii.NO IT HAS NOT, STOP POSTING THAT.
That is a GUESS made by people UNRELATED to Nintendo. Nintendo has NEVER said that.

Brian10122 said:
Also, PSP (if I'm correct) is less powerful than the wii (333MHz processor) and can run N64 games full speedCPU =/= GPU, the 3DS's CPU is less powerful than the Wii's, and the CPU is where the emulation happens, I HAVE ALREADY COVERED THAT IN THIS THREAD.

QUOTE(Brian10122 @ Jul 15 2010, 07:53 PM) By the way, part of the reason N64 emulation is so hard on Wii is because it uses a rarely known IBM processor. The Wii has a processor of 729MHz compared to PSP's 333MHz, so we would probably normally be able to go full speed.
1 - The N64 does not use an IBM processor. Who the FUCK told you that? Seriously, WHERE THE CHRIST are you getting your info from? It's all wrong!
The N64 uses an NEC-manufacturer processor created by MIPS, using the MIPS instruction set. IBM makes the x86 and x86_64 instruction sets, not what the N64 uses at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4300i

2 - Mhz is not a unit of power.
Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 288.
Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,318.

QUOTE(Brian10122 @ Jul 15 2010, 08:05 PM)
The Saturn emulator for PSP, yabause, can only run on PSP slims because of the slim having 50mb ram, compared to Phat's 25mb.
The Phat has 32 megs, and the Slim has 64 megs.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand the only reason the psp can emulate the n64 is because they share the same architecture. both use a mips processor, so it only has to emulate specific n64 opcodes cpu wise.
It still has to emulate everything else, because the only the processor is common, and as of now, we don't know if the 3DS is using the tegra 2

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're asking whether we think the 3DS is capable of running a N64 emulator, then I say yes. But if you're asking whether it will emulate the N64 as a fact, you're simply jumping the gun. We don't know squat about the 3DS, hacking, homebrew, etc., so what's the point of creating this thread?

If you're simply enthusiastic about the possibilites, then edit your topic to convey this. The Gameboy advance played Super Nintendo games, the DS (phat, lite, whatever) played N64 games, so if anything I might ask "What about GameCube games on the 3DS." I would ask, but I wouldn't because I'd expect to get flamed on every comment, plus I'd know beforehand that the thread would pointless, so I wouldn't post it in the first place.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Rydian said:
*insert huge rant/ragefest against a GBAtemp noob here*

chill, I'm not pro. I'm just making from what I've seen and heard.Problem there being most gamers don't know shit and just try to talk big to look like they know what they're talking about, when they're usually too busy playing games to do any research about them.

QUOTE(dsfanatic5 @ Jul 17 2010, 11:20 PM)
The Gameboy advance played Super Nintendo games, the DS (phat, lite, whatever) played N64 games
Those are ports, and in order for those to happen the company needs access to the source code (whereas for VC you don't since you're running the original compiled version through an emulator). I'm willing to bet that many/most N64 games no longer have their source available within the company, or within easy access (when they could just emulate it if needed), that also counts out new features and upgrades for the ports... thankfully OOT is getting a ground-up remake. X3

Hiz_95

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Brian10122 said:
By the way, part of the reason N64 emulation is so hard on Wii is because it uses a rarely known IBM processor. The Wii has a processor of 729MHz compared to PSP's 333MHz, so we would probably normally be able to go full speed.
1 - The N64 does not use an IBM processor. Who the FUCK told you that? Seriously, WHERE THE CHRIST are you getting your info from? It's all wrong!
The N64 uses an NEC-manufacturer processor created by MIPS, using the MIPS instruction set. IBM makes the x86 and x86_64 instruction sets, not what the N64 uses at all.
I think he meant that the Wii uses an IBM processor.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
There's a word for when you phrase things like that, so a statement can refer to two nouns depending on how you read it.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Another system, another poll about Nintendo 64 emulation.
smile.gif

I'm thinking that once we know enough about what makes the 3DS tick (which may take forever, since we've barely even scratched the DSi's surface), and someone with excellent knowledge of our favorite 64-bit console comes around, we might just have something. Because even though the system may be powerful enough, we'll get nowhere if we don't know how it AND the emulated system work. That's why DS emulation is moderately cruddy so far.

Edit: Lay the smackdown, Rydian!
biggrin.gif

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hiz_95 said:
Rydian said:
Brian10122 said:
By the way, part of the reason N64 emulation is so hard on Wii is because it uses a rarely known IBM processor. The Wii has a processor of 729MHz compared to PSP's 333MHz, so we would probably normally be able to go full speed.
I think he meant that the Wii uses an IBM processor.

Yup, this is what I meant ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu