Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warrior522 said:
Soo... now that we have confirmed system specs...

...is this still possible?
We don't have any confirmed specs at all regarding how well it runs.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know this is unrelated but which has better graphics. ps2 or Gamecube? I'm asking since the 3ds is rumored to have graphics a little better than gamecube and psp is almost ps2 graphics(When i mean almost i don't mean like this → ← close but like → ←
Also do you think the 3DS has better graphics than PSP? B/c one guy and I were arguing on which has better graphics.

Ontopic: Why need emulation when Nintendo are recreating the N64 games?(Well the first party games anyways.)

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okami Wolfen said:
Probably. N64 clock speed was around 93 MHz. 3DS rumored clock speed is 266 MHz for each CPU, 532 MHz combined. It probably won't have %100 compatibility but it will at least be faster than the N64 emulator for PSP.

Here's another rumored CPU spec:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/marvell...lets-or-phones/
As awesome as that would be, I highly doubt they'll stuff a quad in this.

42f87d89

Trophies
XP
Country
What if instead of emulating, someone would "translate" the n64 games to a "3ds rom"?
I know that would be a lot of work to patch every single game,but would it be possible like that?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
42f87d89 said:
What if instead of emulating, someone would "translate" the n64 games to a "3ds rom"?
I know that would be a lot of work to patch every single game,but would it be possible like that?
That's called a port. And as long as they're going to the trouble of all that, I'd guess they'd just make a remake instead.

Hardware capabilities aside, I doubt Ninty will release N64 on the VC. That would be throwing a lot of potential remakes away.

D

Deleted User

OP
Midna said:
That's called a port. And as long as they're going to the trouble of all that, I'd guess they'd just make a remake instead.

Hardware capabilities aside, I doubt Ninty will release N64 on the VC. That would be throwing a lot of potential remakes away.
Yes that is true, but if Ninty remakes SSB or creates SSB 3D, IT WILL PRINT MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSB YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hope the 3DS has the processing Power promised.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators "translate" instructions meant for one system to run on another.

That's not the same thing as porting which is using a common source code then compiling it to the instruction sets of a required piece of hardware.

As for whether nintendo will do it if the 3ds is capable of doing it... It's all about how much money nintendo thinks it will make on it. First off, they would almost HAVE to allow for N64 games purchased on wii to be transferred to 3DS. Why? Because they will have a LOT of angry customers if they find out they can't transfer games they 'own' on Wii to the 3DS. That immediately will cut into their revenue (a way around that would be to charge a "transfer fee" but it will still cut into profits overall) and be a negative.

Secondly they have to balance possible net gains, with total cost of making a new emulator and putting a dedicated staff to improve compatibility (to allow for other companies to use it)

Third, they will have to compare it to the possible money loss versus remake revenue.

That said, if Nintendo can rubber stamp parts 1 and 2... part 3 won't hold them back at all. This is a company that just released a new copy of Super Mario Allstars on a wii disc DESPITE the game already being out on virtual console. It could canibalize sales somewhat, but if nintendo was going to handle this intelligently, they'd leave most of the VC ports to third parties or games they wouldn't bother remaking (of which there are many, but easy to make a quick buck off of)

As for the great "can XXX emulate YYY" debate... There is no magic number... Whoever said "8 to 10 times more powerful" of a system needed quoted BS. I remember when I had an 400mhz PC that could emulate N64 better than SNES
wink.gif
(God bless UltraHLE) and the difference based purely on processor speed was over 100x in the SNES case. Hell, Bsnes is the most accurate SNES emulator and it requires a heftier machine than that to play games at full speed with no frame skip.

D

Deleted User

OP
What I am concerned about is screen resolution like the NES emulator on DS. Mike Tyson's Punch-out looks awful.

steves334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
diando said:
What I am concerned about is screen resolution like the NES emulator on DS. Mike Tyson's Punch-out looks awful.

u shouldnt be too concerned about it looking awful. your mom looks awful and your dad still boned her. otherwise u wouldnt be here

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
As for the great "can XXX emulate YYY" debate... There is no magic number... Whoever said "8 to 10 times more powerful" of a system needed quoted BS. I remember when I had an 400mhz PC that could emulate N64 better than SNES
wink.gif
(God bless UltraHLE) and the difference based purely on processor speed was over 100x in the SNES case. Hell, Bsnes is the most accurate SNES emulator and it requires a heftier machine than that to play games at full speed with no frame skip.
The 8-10 times was true before the advent of HLE.
tongue.gif
There's also a difference between recompilation and dynamic interpretation, I think it's the second that's the older method and the one people cite the figure for. I'm not really up to date on that.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
diando said:

NES resolution 256x224

DS Screen 256x192

GBA Screen 240x160

No matter how you look at it, the NES has a higher resolution then those two portable systems emulating it... so of course the image isn't going to look as good because you either have to drop pixels (ugly) or blend pixels (blurry) to make it fit. The 3DS is 400x240, thus all NES games will fit and (most) SNES games as well... that is assuming that there will be emulators released for it.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I see everyone talking about yes it's possible, then they go on to say nintendo will probably be porting more n64 games to the 3DS! Emulating an N64 rom and Nintendo porting the game are 2 entirely different things! When Nintendo ports a game they change the coding and optimize it for the system it's being ported to, therefore you get a fully working game for the platform. Emulating a game is using the CPU power of the system to run emulation of the N64 on that hardware and since emulation usually requires a power multiple of about 10 times it's highly doubtful that the 3DS would be capable of running N64 emulation at full speeds, that is unless the architecture of the 3DS is extremely similar to the N64's...which is not likely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the mixed reviews is due to review bombing, because a chunk of regions are excluded/banned from buying it now
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so the players are review bombing as response to sony doubling down on their so-called policy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe the real bugs were the glitches they didn't patch along the way
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    there are instability issues regarding certain hardware setups, but it's a small part
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    game's now what, 3 months out the door
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    live service game for 40 bucks that sold 12 mil copies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ever notice how games that sell millions get hated the worst
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cod and sports games are good examples but people still buy the shit
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it happens quit often if not all the time
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    diablo 4 anyone?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Everyone just doesn't want to be an outcast and say they're decent games why do they make billions if it's so shit
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy nintendo stuff and their games if you just want fun
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still can't name 12 fun current Nintendo games
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i say get a pc and emulate that too

:rofl2:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or in today's age at least a SteamDeck
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i gotta say, the steam deck isn't a bad deal, even if you get a used one, you have options to get it serviced and the parts are also available through ifixit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember a guy trying to call me a SteamDeck fanboy I'm like well give me a grand I'll buy a winmax
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or a win4 things still sexy
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    having money does not mean everyone will just fork it over
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    everyone perceives value diffrently
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I buy cheap and whats useable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twice out of the year I may get something that's $600
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: