Hardware N3DSXL d-pad acting like it’s stuck?

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I’ve had this N3DSXL for about 2 years now, and I’ve always taken extremely good care of it. But recently, the d-pad is getting stuck in the up position, but not physically stuck. As in, the cursor on the menu will continuously scroll up as if the button is being held, but the pad presses and clicks in each direction completely normally. None of my buttons feel sticky in the slightest.
Yet, something is obviously wrong. If I press up on the dpad somewhat hard, it will sometimes stop, but the issue resumes as soon as I press up again.
I have a lot of CFW stuff on this system, so sending it to Nintendo isn’t gonna work. What should I do?

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Determine if the ghost input is coming from D-Pad, Circle Pad, or C-Stick using 3DSident-GUI. Press (START) + (SELECT) to access the button tester.

You don't want to misdiagnosis the wrong part.
Oddly enough, I actually just went and recalibrated both the circle pad and touch screen and, just like that, the issue is gone. I have no clue why that worked, as the issue was only present when using the d-pad itself, and neither the circle pad nor touchscreen were giving me any problems.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oddly enough, I actually just went and recalibrated both the circle pad and touch screen and, just like that, the issue is gone. I have no clue why that worked, as the issue was only present when using the d-pad itself, and neither the circle pad nor touchscreen were giving me any problems.
In case it returns, observe for ghost inputs using that app. Buttons will light up orange if the 3DS detects a button press or registers a threshold for the circle pad.

You may need to disassemble the n3DSXL and examine for torn rubber pads, shifted contact patches, or grimy contamination.
If cleaning is required, use tooth brush and isopropyl rubbing alcohol only when parts are disassembled. Do not clean with fluids with 3DS as-is.

Replacement parts can be found at eBay or aliexpress.

Edit - Oh, and dry with low heat, low fan blow dryer. Don't use napkins or paper towels as they tend to snag. You can also clean with q-tips; only dabbing motions (no swipes).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case it returns, observe for ghost inputs using that app. Buttons will light up orange if the 3DS detects a button press or registers a threshold for the circle pad.

You may need to disassemble the n3DSXL and examine for torn rubber pads, shifted contact patches, or grimy contamination.
If cleaning is required, use tooth brush and isopropyl rubbing alcohol only when parts are disassembled. Do not clean with fluids with 3DS as-is.

Replacement parts can be found at eBay or aliexpress.

Edit - Oh, and dry with low heat, low fan blow dryer. Don't use napkins or paper towels as they tend to snag. You can also clean with q-tips; only dabbing motions (no swipes).
10 minutes later and it’s back...guess I’ll use that app and see where the problem lies.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10 minutes later and it’s back...guess I’ll use that app and see where the problem lies.
If it helps, go into the 3DSident-GUI app, press (HOME) button to return to HOME Menu, mess around with d-pad, circle pad, and c-stick in trying to catch it, press (HOME) again to return to 3DSident-GUI when it happens, and then press (START) + (SELECT) to view the button tester.

Edit - You may need to use the bottom touch screen to go back in that app.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps, go into the 3DSident-GUI app, press (HOME) button to return to HOME Menu, mess around with d-pad, circle pad, and c-stick in trying to catch it, press (HOME) again to return to 3DSident-GUI when it happens, and then press (START) + (SELECT) to view the button tester.
At the moment I can’t even install the CIA for the app because the cursor won’t stop moving on the menu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the moment I can’t even install the CIA for the app because the cursor won’t stop moving on the menu
Do you have a prior Rosalina Menu injected Homebrew Launcher? Use the *.3dsx version with only that app in the 3ds folder. Try launching the HOME Menu title that HBL is injected in with the touch screen.

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a prior Rosalina Menu injected Homebrew Launcher? Use the *.3dsx version with only that app in the 3ds folder. Try launching the HOME Menu title that HBL is injected in with the touch screen.
I managed to install with the touch screen

On the button tester, the d-pad is solid orange and pointing up at all times. It detects left and right inputs as well, but no down input.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to install with the touch screen

On the button tester, the d-pad is solid orange and pointing up at all times. It detects left and right inputs as well, but no down input.
Okay, I just wanted to 100% make sure it's the d-pad. You'll need to disassemble the n3DSXL and see what conditions the d-dad rubber contact and daughterboard are in.

As previous mentioned, you'll need to look for:
  • Torn rubber boot
  • filth and grime (stickiness)
  • shifted contact patches
Here are the parts:
If you require slightly cheaper (with longer shipping time) or International (assuming you're not in the US), there are other options at eBay/aliexpress.

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just wanted to 100% make sure it's the d-pad. You'll need to disassemble the n3DSXL and see what conditions the d-dad rubber contact and daughterboard are in.

As previous mentioned, you'll need to look for:
  • Torn rubber boot
  • filth and grime (stickiness)
  • shifted contact patches
Here are the parts:
If you require slightly cheaper (with longer shipping time) or International (assuming you're not in the US), there are other options at eBay/aliexpress.

Oh jeez...I’ve never taken anything this complicated apart before. I’ll probably break something.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh jeez...I’ve never taken anything this complicated apart before. I’ll probably break something.
This is something you'll have to decide if you're comfortable doing yourself. You may need to find a buddy who's good with electronics and accepts beer money as payment for labor.

While not considerably difficult compared to other electronic repairs, this isn't something I recommend for the inexperience or unfamiliar with hand tools. Are you good at knitting, drawing, playing musical instruments, or other delicate hand ons activities that require patience and precision?

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something you'll have to decide if you're comfortable doing yourself. You may need to find a buddy who's good with electronics and accepts beer money as payment for labor.

While not considerably difficult compared to other electronic repairs, this isn't something I recommend for the inexperience or unfamiliar with hand tools. Are you good at knitting, drawing, playing musical instruments, or other delicate hand ons activities that require patience and precision?

The most in depth electronic repair I ever did was taking apart a PS3 controller one time to add some extra resistance onto the piece of foam that compresses when you click the left analog stick. But I also had a step-by-step YouTube tutorial helping me, as that was a pretty common issue with those controllers, and I didn’t need anything other than a small screwdriver and some electrical tape.

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I decided to poke around and found a local repair shop pretty close by so I went and dropped it off. Guy said he’s worked with all kinds of 3DS models and other game systems too. He said it’s probably just something simple like a dirty or sticking contact on the logic board, but he’s gonna diagnose it for me today.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I decided to poke around and found a local repair shop pretty close by so I went and dropped it off. Guy said he’s worked with all kinds of 3DS models and other game systems too. He said it’s probably just something simple like a dirty or sticking contact on the logic board, but he’s gonna diagnose it for me today.
Did you back up your game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM beforehand for personal insurance in the rare event the local shop hard bricks yours n3DSXL?

Bing1093

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you back up your game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM beforehand for personal insurance in the rare event the local shop hard bricks yours n3DSXL?
unfortunately no. But he fixed it within a few hours. Just took it apart and cleaned out the dpad really well and added some new contact material to it. He said it looked like there was some minute amount of water damage, which is odd because I know for a fact that nothing has ever been spilled on this system. Either way, just glad it’s working again

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately no. But he fixed it within a few hours. Just took it apart and cleaned out the dpad really well and added some new contact material to it. He said it looked like there was some minute amount of water damage, which is odd because I know for a fact that nothing has ever been spilled on this system. Either way, just glad it’s working again
Humidity and sweaty left thumb where your sweat drips in. It's possible and not much you can do about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o