Hacking Homebrew N3DS XL won't turn on with red light

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS suddenly will no longer turn on. It had turned on once, but suddenly shut off again and refuses to turn on again. It shows a red light whenever I try to turn it on. I already tried putting the new boot.firm on the SD, nothing.

Attachments

• 16882691041901059552204112172670.jpg
    16882691041901059552204112172670.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 69

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure what that photo is supposed to demonstrate.

By "red light", are you referring to the notification light next to the R button? If you remove the SD card, do you get a purple light?

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what that photo is supposed to demonstrate.

By "red light", are you referring to the notification light next to the R button? If you remove the SD card, do you get a purple light?
Yep. Magenta light without SD, red with SD.
Post automatically merged:

Also, before this, I had it charging on a table and it took a small fall. I don't know if that messed up the software or anything, but it was on when it dropped and I had checked on the (turned off) system an hour or so later.

Also, before this, I had it charging on a table and it took a small fall. I don't know if that messed up the software or anything, but it was on when it dropped and I had checked on the (turned off) system an hour or so later.
the system booted, but stayed black screen on the home menu and didn't work. Tried loading into GM9 and got this every time.

Attachments

• 16882720297097014942551326348552.jpg
    16882720297097014942551326348552.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67
Last edited by InvaderMoth,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, I didn't even know Godmode9 could do that...

I had it charging on a table and it took a small fall. I don't know if that messed up the software or anything
Did you mean to write "hardware" there? Physical injuries aren't exactly known for affecting software.

And in that case, I would agree, your hardware is probably toast. Your best bet is the Homebrew Discord.

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't even know Godmode9 could do that...

Did you mean to write "hardware" there? Physical injuries aren't exactly known for affecting software.

And in that case, I would agree, your hardware is probably toast. Your best bet is the Homebrew Discord.
Some new things have been going on with it, it's really giving me heart attacks tonight lol. I gave it a new thread because of how many new updates it has.

I don't think the hardware is completely toast after all? (the new post is on my profile, GBAtemp won't let me embed links since I'm new.)

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some new things have been going on with it, it's really giving me heart attacks tonight lol. I gave it a new thread because of how many new updates it has.

I don't think the hardware is completely toast after all? (the new post is on my profile, GBAtemp won't let me embed links since I'm new.)
If you're getting the red light, it's possible that there might be a hardware issue that must be tested using 3ds_hw_test.

Could you try replacing the boot.firm on the SD to rule this out?

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're getting the red light, it's possible that there might be a hardware issue that must be tested using 3ds_hw_test.

Could you try replacing the boot.firm on the SD to rule this out?
I've already replaced it with the newest version, nothing happened.

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/441119928334942218/1004168116286271599/3ds_hw_test.firm

Please put this (from the NH discord) on the root of the SD card, rename boot.firm to luma.firm, and then rename 3ds_hw_test.firm to boot.firm. Then, turn on and press any button other than B to run the hardware test. It should take about 45 minutes. When you're done, note the number of errors detected.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/441119928334942218/1004168116286271599/3ds_hw_test.firm

Please put this (from the NH discord) on the root of the SD card, rename boot.firm to luma.firm, and then rename 3ds_hw_test.firm to boot.firm. Then, turn on and press any button other than B to run the hardware test. It should take about 45 minutes. When you're done, note the number of errors detected.
If its a hardware issue. Most likely with the Sd card reader. That app is likely going to do nothing.

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If its a hardware issue. Most likely with the Sd card reader. That app is likely going to do nothing.
If it were an issue with only the SD card reader, wouldn't it be able to detect the backup from the NAND?

It doesn't hurt to try it though, right?
Yes, try it anyway.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it were an issue with only the SD card reader, wouldn't it be able to detect the backup from the NAND?

Yes, try it anyway.
OP said the light went magenta without sd card. which that means the boot.firm on ctrnand is corrupt. They can still try and run it. but dont know how likely itd gonna be to work.

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, there's a few updates with it, it boots up now but the bottom screen froze and showed a glitched bottom screen then subsequently crashed. Now, whenever I turn it on it'll get past the splash and crash. For context, it ended up actually working after a little while of turning it on and I went straight to the B9S updater, but it crashed while it was trying to boot GM9. Now, if I hold start on the splash screen it just brings me into the updater. Every time, too. I installed the update about 5 times before I realized it wasn't going away. (Kind of dumb of me, lol)

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, there's a few updates with it, it boots up now but the bottom screen froze and showed a glitched bottom screen then subsequently crashed. Now, whenever I turn it on it'll get past the splash and crash. For context, it ended up actually working after a little while of turning it on and I went straight to the B9S updater, but it crashed while it was trying to boot GM9. Now, if I hold start on the splash screen it just brings me into the updater. Every time, too. I installed the update about 5 times before I realized it wasn't going away. (Kind of dumb of me, lol)
Yes, this definitely sounds like more of an issue than the SD card reader. Try the hardware test anyway.

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this definitely sounds like more of an issue than the SD card reader. Try the hardware test anyway.
Uhh... So, I turned it on one more time before trying the new boot.firm, and... I don't think it's supposed to do this? (Is playing the home screen music, I can hear the touches registering too)

Uhh... So, I turned it on one more time before trying the new boot.firm, and... I don't think it's supposed to do this? (Is playing the home screen music, I can hear the touches registering too)
I closed it and opened it and now it's working perfectly fine??? I have zero clue what's going on right now

I closed it and opened it and now it's working perfectly fine??? I have zero clue what's going on right now
Should I take my chances and power it off to try the hardware test? It might not turn back on and I have Pokemon I need to transfer up to HOME and saves I need to back up before my 3DS goes totally unsaveable.

Should I take my chances and power it off to try the hardware test? It might not turn back on and I have Pokemon I need to transfer up to HOME and saves I need to back up before my 3DS goes totally unsaveable.
Nevermind. Guess I'm trying the hardware test now.

Attachments

• 16883604249806614859420372193981.jpg
    16883604249806614859420372193981.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 63
  • 16883606086595747809589192651736.jpg
    16883606086595747809589192651736.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 16883610076712145405393741397700.jpg
    16883610076712145405393741397700.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 54

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can only conclude that there's some kind of loose hardware connection inside your unit that occasionally falls back into place when it is handled the right way.

It might not turn back on and I have Pokemon I need to transfer up to HOME and saves I need to back up before my 3DS goes totally unsaveable.
You can use a PC to recover data from a completely dead 3DS, but it is definitely more convenient to back things up using Checkpoint when you can.

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only conclude that there's some kind of loose hardware connection inside your unit that occasionally falls back into place when it is handled the right way.

You can use a PC to recover data from a completely dead 3DS, but it is definitely more convenient to back things up using Checkpoint when you can.
Do you think the only option (after the hardware test finishes) is to take it apart and see what could be loose?

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you think the only option (after the hardware test finishes) is to take it apart and see what could be loose?
That will depend on the number of errors detected. It's very possible that this could be a RAM issue (which is what the hardware test is checking for) as I have personally seen many cases where your symptoms pointed there. In that case, you would need to replace the motherboard.

InvaderMoth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That will depend on the number of errors detected. It's very possible that this could be a RAM issue (which is what the hardware test is checking for) as I have personally seen many cases where your symptoms pointed there. In that case, you would need to replace the motherboard.
Oh, so that's bad. I'm still waiting for it to finish, so hopefully I don't need to shell out the money to get that fixed. It'd still be less expensive than buying a new one though lol

Oh, so that's bad. I'm still waiting for it to finish, so hopefully I don't need to shell out the money to get that fixed. It'd still be less expensive than buying a new one though lol
No errors were found with the hardware test. What now?

No errors were found with the hardware test. What now?
The 3DS is working again after putting the new boot.firm back on it, replacing the hardware test, but I'm going to play around with it for a bit and see if anything happens. Currently, it'll occasionally turn on with a white screen and home music but if I close it and open it it works (which is a little concerning but at least it works?).

Attachments

• 16883642137001902915720317426751.jpg
    16883642137001902915720317426751.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 68

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1