userme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cry.gif
I just got a brand new R4 from Volumerate and a new PNY 1GB Micro SD card. I read and follow the provided instruction (R4 English-1.11) as following:

1) Hardware Installation
Connect the TF card to PC with the card reader, then, go to the "/SYSTEM" directory on the disk.
A- Loading the game kernel: Copy the "_DS_MENU.DAT" at the directory of the simplified game kernel/ traditional game kernel to the root directory of TF card.
B- Loading the media kernel: Copy the "moonshl" folder and the "_DS_MSHL.NDS" file at the "moonshell" directory to the root directory of TF card;
C- Load the DIY interface: Copy all the folders "_system_" to the root directory of the TF card.
2) Unload TF Card
After finishing ROM added, then right click the removable disk icon on the right down corner of the screen; Draw out the TF card from card reader/writer.
3) Main Menu Operation
Connect the TF card to DS Slot-1 with the R4, turn on the power...

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
However, nothing shows up, except my DS console welcome screen. No error message neither, nada!!! Should I format my Micro SD card for the first time use? Any ideas??? Thank you.
bow.gif

userme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's probably the contacts on the card. My R4 worked fine for a while but then it stopped connecting properly, so I'd have to jiggle it a bit to get it to work.

userme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is solved!!! You are right. It is about the R4's contacts with the game console. I added a little piece of paper underneath the R4 when I inserted it into the game console. It works. Thank you for all your helps!
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

anyband_junsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Please don't use such massive coloured fonts i get distracted easierÂ
laugh.gif

Go to R4 site, download 1.11 or 1.12 whichever floats your boat, extract the directory and copy all the folder to the root of your card.

The root of your Micro SD card should look like this

I got my R4 from bamboogaming.com and I downloaded all the files that were needed for loading from the R4's official site--- but, it just flashes a black page with "LOADING" in bold white letters. The Kingston microSD that I ordered with the card works okay on my laptop. I don't know what to do.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A good way to fix that is to take a tiny piece of paper, fold it in half once, and tape it onto the front of your R4 using scotch tape, make sure it's flat enough to where it can fit into your NDS cartridge slot. That's what I did with mine. I did it to mine after I read
userme's solution.

anyband_junsu

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried taping paper as you guys had suggested, but the LOADING page still remains for longer than two minutes.
dry.gif
It's annoying, because I downloaded the most recent kernels needed for the R4. That being said, would the defect be on the R4 itself?

anyband_junsu

Trophies
XP
Country
This one is what I have. It arrived a couple of days ago. I have a Kingston 4GB micro SD that I ordered with it as well.
frown.gif
But so far, even after formatting the microSD and redoing everything from several times from scratch (putting important files in the SD), all that comes out is the loading page.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one is what I have. It arrived a couple of days ago. I have a Kingston 4GB micro SD that I ordered with it as well.Â
frown.gif
 But so far, even after formatting the microSD and redoing everything from several times from scratch (putting important files in the SD), all that comes out is the loading page.

i didn't know they made 4gb microSD cards that weren't fake

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't know they made 4gb microSD cards that weren't fake
I didn't know Kingston made 4 GB microSD cards that weren't SDHC... but I guess it must be, if the R4 is loading it. That would have been what I'd have suggested as the culpret, if it hadn't started working...

it's actually like a 256 or 512mb microSD that was hacked to display as 4GB. i didn't look into how they did it or how it affects the quality/speed of the card, but i'm assuming it's negative. he needs to buy a legit 1gb or 2gb kingston (made in japan)

anyband_junsu

Trophies
XP
Country
So the probably the problem lies with the microSD and not the R4 itself... I am thinking of getting a refund, before ordering another R4 (same model) and 2GB microSD somewhere else.

claudekennilol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having this same problem, I'm guessing at the time of this writing that there were no actual 4gb SD Kignston cards. (Mine was bought at a legit retail store in the states (Comp USA) so I highly doubt it can be a fake) So is my card simply too new to work with an R4?

fixitdad

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys for the help on this discussion thread.
gbasp.gif

I used the piece of paper and now the R4 is working - one happy user and one parent finally getting some peace and quiet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages