My new R4 not Loading, please help

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by userme, Dec 2, 2007.

Dec 2, 2007
  1. userme
    OP

Newcomer userme Member

United States
    [​IMG] I just got a brand new R4 from Volumerate and a new PNY 1GB Micro SD card. I read and follow the provided instruction (R4 English-1.11) as following:
    1) Hardware Installation
    Connect the TF card to PC with the card reader, then, go to the "/SYSTEM" directory on the disk.
    A- Loading the game kernel: Copy the "_DS_MENU.DAT" at the directory of the simplified game kernel/ traditional game kernel to the root directory of TF card.
    B- Loading the media kernel: Copy the "moonshl" folder and the "_DS_MSHL.NDS" file at the "moonshell" directory to the root directory of TF card;
    C- Load the DIY interface: Copy all the folders "_system_" to the root directory of the TF card.
    2) Unload TF Card
    After finishing ROM added, then right click the removable disk icon on the right down corner of the screen; Draw out the TF card from card reader/writer.
    3) Main Menu Operation
    Connect the TF card to DS Slot-1 with the R4, turn on the power...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] However, nothing shows up, except my DS console welcome screen. No error message neither, nada!!! Should I format my Micro SD card for the first time use? Any ideas??? Thank you. [​IMG]

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Put in the R4 without a card and see if the regular screen comes up, and check your R4 contacts

3. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Please don't use such massive coloured fonts i get distracted easier [​IMG]

Go to R4 site, download 1.11 or 1.12 whichever floats your boat, extract the directory and copy all the folder to the root of your card.

The root of your Micro SD card should look like this

4. userme
    OP

Newcomer userme Member

United States
    I do not have it with me now but will try this later. Thanks

5. userme
    OP

Newcomer userme Member

United States
    :'( I tried to load both versions 1.11 or 1.12. Still nothing shows up.

6. mflo

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's probably the contacts on the card. My R4 worked fine for a while but then it stopped connecting properly, so I'd have to jiggle it a bit to get it to work.

7. userme
    OP

Newcomer userme Member

United States
    Problem is solved!!! You are right. It is about the R4's contacts with the game console. I added a little piece of paper underneath the R4 when I inserted it into the game console. It works. Thank you for all your helps! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. anyband_junsu

Newcomer anyband_junsu Newbie

Australia
    I got my R4 from bamboogaming.com and I downloaded all the files that were needed for loading from the R4's official site--- but, it just flashes a black page with "LOADING" in bold white letters. The Kingston microSD that I ordered with the card works okay on my laptop. I don't know what to do.

9. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    @anyband_junsu

Check your contacts. Mine does that too if the SD is not making enough contact with the R4.

10. mflo

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A good way to fix that is to take a tiny piece of paper, fold it in half once, and tape it onto the front of your R4 using scotch tape, make sure it's flat enough to where it can fit into your NDS cartridge slot. That's what I did with mine. I did it to mine after I read
    userme's solution.

11. anyband_junsu

Australia
    I tried taping paper as you guys had suggested, but the LOADING page still remains for longer than two minutes. [​IMG] It's annoying, because I downloaded the most recent kernels needed for the R4. That being said, would the defect be on the R4 itself?

12. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    What model R4 do you have?

13. anyband_junsu

Australia
    This one is what I have. It arrived a couple of days ago. I have a Kingston 4GB micro SD that I ordered with it as well. [​IMG] But so far, even after formatting the microSD and redoing everything from several times from scratch (putting important files in the SD), all that comes out is the loading page.

14. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i didn't know they made 4gb microSD cards that weren't fake

15. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I didn't know Kingston made 4 GB microSD cards that weren't SDHC... but I guess it must be, if the R4 is loading it. That would have been what I'd have suggested as the culpret, if it hadn't started working...

16. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    it's actually like a 256 or 512mb microSD that was hacked to display as 4GB. i didn't look into how they did it or how it affects the quality/speed of the card, but i'm assuming it's negative. he needs to buy a legit 1gb or 2gb kingston (made in japan)

17. anyband_junsu

Australia
    So the probably the problem lies with the microSD and not the R4 itself... I am thinking of getting a refund, before ordering another R4 (same model) and 2GB microSD somewhere else.

18. claudekennilol

Member claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm having this same problem, I'm guessing at the time of this writing that there were no actual 4gb SD Kignston cards. (Mine was bought at a legit retail store in the states (Comp USA) so I highly doubt it can be a fake) So is my card simply too new to work with an R4?

19. fixitdad

Newcomer fixitdad Newbie

Australia
    Thanks guys for the help on this discussion thread. [​IMG]

I used the piece of paper and now the R4 is working - one happy user and one parent finally getting some peace and quiet.

20. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The R4DS only supports 2 gigabyte MicroSD cards and lower, anything higher will either not work, be slow as hell or be extremely buggy.