Hacking My Metroid other M Ridley cutscene freeze fix

dandee68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my fix for the Metroid other M Ridley cutscene freeze. And it may help for the Baby's cry cutsene freeze.

If you use NTFS HDD partition you should be fine. NTFS supports files over 4GB.

If you have WBFS HDD Partition - I don't know. You could try the following it may work but I'm just guessing since I don't know the WBFS file structure.

If you have FAT32 HDD try this fix it worked for me.

I'm using FAT32 HDD and Metroid other M NTSC (retail) game partition only.

If you leave the update partition in you should be getting the baby's cry freeze. If you take it out and have only the game partition you should get the Ridley/anthony freeze. With the update partition still in the 4gb split point is pushed up sooner in the game to the baby's cry cutscene. Otherwise it occurrs later at the Ridley cutscene.

So if you are having the baby's cry freeze just remove the update partition first and then do the following fix for the ridley scene freeze.

It seems to me the ridley movie was right in the middle of the split which meant only the first half was loaded, played, and then froze because the other half was still on the HDD. The Solution I came up with was to use Wiiscrubber to extract the movie (dm35_01_cut08b.sfd) which is right before the ridley movie (dm36to43.sfd). I then used a hex editor to append zero's to the end of it thus increasing it's file size but not affecting the movie. I made it large enough so that when you use wii backup manager to transfer the game to HDD the split occurrs where those zero's are and the entire Ridley movie gets put on the second half of the split. And then used wiiscrubber to replace the original. I tried it and it played perfectly.

Here is the new resized dm35_01_cut08b.sfd

- removed -
since I'm not allowed to post my resized file you will just have to get a hex editor and edit your own. I would make it the same size as dm36to43.sfd

transfer your metroid other m from your wii HDD to your pc HDD. Also backup the game and delete the one on your Wii HDD.
Use wiiscrubber to replace the original movie (dm35_01_cut08b.sfd). You will have to scroll all the way down to the 'Movies' folder. Once there right click and select replace. Now close wiiscrubber and transfer the new ISO to your Wii HDD with wii backup manager. If it doens't work you still have the backup that you should have made.

Also, obviously you could just use the retail disc to get by the freeze and then go back to using your USB loader. Or you could have two ISO's of the game.
#1 with update partiton
#2 without update partition

Use #1 to get by baby's cry freeze and then switch to #2 to get by ridley freeze. and switch back to #1 if you want to start a new game. This would be a lot of work of course.

Please let us know if this works for you or not.

richiefs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It works as you describe with the pal version.

With update partition --> baby freeze, ridley no freeze
Without update --> ridley freeze, baby no freeze

Without update + your fix (dm30_cut28b.sfd) --> baby freeze, ridley no freeze

It's still missing a way to have only one iso. I can't watch the movie (available when you finish the game) because il will freeze at baby's cry or ridley.

I tried two rips but i have exactly the same problem.

Same problem with CIOS rev20b (base 56) and 222 rev 5

AtomBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did as instructed and works. Have played up to Adam's little movie, but not much beyond and no further issues

terance24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What worked for me is to remove the update partition for Baby's Cry freeze first.
To fix the Ridley freeze I Did the split with wbfs_file.exe ver 2.9 and not the WiiBackup Manager. I did the split at 3.5 gigs instead of the default 4 gigs. The command would be like this: wbfs_file.exe -s 3758096384 "Metroid - Other M [R3OE01].iso"

The Test:
I already finished the game and unlock the Theater mode. I let The Theater mode Play All and it ran through with no freeze. You get 3 files with the split at 3.5 gigs but so far no freeze.

Hope this helps anyone out there. But I think you're right Wii Backup Manager splits the Ridley movie scene and causes the freeze.

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terance24 said:
What worked for me is to remove the update partition for Baby's Cry freeze first.
To fix the Ridley freeze I Did the split with wbfs_file.exe ver 2.9 and not the WiiBackup Manager. I did the split at 3.5 gigs instead of the default 4 gigs. The command would be like this: wbfs_file.exe -s 3758096384 "Metroid - Other M [R3OE01].iso"

The Test:
I already finished the game and unlock the Theater mode. I let The Theater mode Play All and it ran through with no freeze. You get 3 files with the split at 3.5 gigs but so far no freeze.

Hope this helps anyone out there. But I think you're right Wii Backup Manager splits the Ridley movie scene and causes the freeze.
Please explain this to me, how do I use this program and where do I input this command?

terance24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the splitter. _http://cfg-loader.googlecode.com/files/wbfs_file_2.9.zip
Extract it to a folder.
Copy your iso file to the same folder.
In Windows click Run and click Browse and Browse to the wbfs_File.exe
You should now the see the beginning of the command in the browse window with quotes. Then just type in the rest of the command after the quotes. Should be something like:
"C:\where-ever-you-extracted-this\wbfs_file.exe" -s 3758096384 "the-name-of-your-metroid-iso-file.iso"
Hit Ok and it should start craking out the wbfs files.

Or you can browse to the wbfs_file.exe in a dos prompt and type it all in.

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't get it to work in DOSbox but Command Prompt works like a charm, thanks. I'm assuming the process is similar for Mac and Linux users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY