OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
First time of my life i get infected. Was not too much of a pain in the a but still
That crap was poping adds every 2min + my comp was way slower

Anyway i had to disable system restore, reboot in safe mode and run a fix.

So now I want to know what are the worse virus/worms you guys ever had.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i had this one on my old desktop that changed the background, made interactive popups appear every few seconds, disabled the clock, and disabled the start menu. but it wasn't my fault i swearz
smileipb2.png

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The first virus I ever got was Tai-Pan.438 and .666 (doom version) on my old 486 50Mhz (yeah, 50 MEGA hertz) SX (haha, no co-processor). It infected .exe files and made them larger than what they should be... which was only a minor problem since it was fixed by using F-Prot back in the day.

In the passed year or two, I have had a couple run-ins with Virtuamonde (or Vundo). Just your run-of-the-mill ad-pop-up trojan virus normally cleaned with the method described by the OP. This can be easily cleaned using current anti-malware products like Malwarebytes.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Last year, a virus slowed down my pc so that it took 15min to open Internet Explorer (3/4th it didn't even work
sleep.gif
), 5min for explorer or any other program. Had to reinstall completely.
I don't know the name of the virus though.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Never had any major ones, i keep my PC clean..
I got this irritating virus once though, which redirected all my traffic thru a slow ass proxy which made all my internet communication very slow.. It was quite hard to remove too, you had to go thru a series of removal sequences, since it would just reinstall itself if you did it wrong or just removed it thru a anti-virus/spyware program (The trojan was a version of Virtumonde)

Egonny said:
Last year, a virus slowed down my pc so that it took 15min to open Internet Explorer (3/4th it didn't even work ), 5min for explorer or any other program. Had to reinstall completely.

You see, that's your problem, you use Internet Explorer.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
noONE said:
You see, that's your problem, you use Windows.

Fixed.
smileipb2.png

To be honest, a Windows setup which is maintained with a little intelligence, and without the more shocking protective software (*cough* McAfee *cough* Norton), can be as secure as most people would need. I only use Linux as I want to be able to trawl the Intertubes without having to be on guard at all. Well, with the exception of the odd rickroll.
tongue.gif

As a result, I've never had a virus. Ever. (I started on Linux before I got Internet access)

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Klez.
Kiddies, when faced with an unfamilar file type "I'll try opening it anyway and see what happens" is probably not the best approach. Especially if it's an email attachment ending in the extension ".bat". Whoops.

I was just a kid, I can't remember what it did exactly but it was the only PC in our house so it took my Dad a whole week of bouncing Yahoo searches* and cleanup files around on disk from work to home to fix it. He wasn't pissed at having to clean up the mess or anything, just one of those things that happens when your kids don't know what they're doing. I never did it again though
smile.gif

(* because Google wasn't popular back then)

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I downloaded an unsavory file yesterday and didn't bother running/testing it within a virtual machine. I'm on a fresh install now. :/

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
noONE said:
Never had any major ones, i keep my PC clean..
I got this irritating virus once though, which redirected all my traffic thru a slow ass proxy which made all my internet communication very slow.. It was quite hard to remove too, you had to go thru a series of removal sequences, since it would just reinstall itself if you did it wrong or just removed it thru a anti-virus/spyware program (The trojan was a version of Virtumonde)

Egonny said:
Last year, a virus slowed down my pc so that it took 15min to open Internet Explorer (3/4th it didn't even work ), 5min for explorer or any other program. Had to reinstall completely.

You see, that's your problem, you use Internet Explorer.
I have FireFox installed too, but FireFox didn't even bother starting up -.-

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dunno. Used to have lots of little ones that didn't really do TOO much back when I was a noob. I think one prevented me booting into Windows so I had to reformat, and that was the worst.

On a side note, I used to go to school with this girl who was kinda simple, and she installed BonziBUDDY on all the schools computers lol. That was in grade 5

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aphirst said:
As a result, I've never had a virus. Ever. (I started on Linux before I got Internet access)

should that not read I've never had a virus. YET!

yes LINUX is good but even LINUX has Virii too!

to say that you have not had one EVER does not mean to say you WONT!
nyanya.gif

to add .... there's nothing to stop you getting a virus and it jumping ship to a usb stick and infecting a windows machine its shared/used on ...or it even jumping through your network to another machine that's running windows or using your LINUX box as a server!

Linux versions of antivirus programs are no doubt designed for this purpose in mind
smile.gif

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a virus just yesterday.....
It started with me not being able to write anything to a disk...
Then it disables my USB DRIVES!!(No Backups for me!)
After that it did the following in succession:

1) Changed my computer wallpaper into a pop-up saying that "You Have a Virus! Would you like to scan for free?"
2) Disabled my Norton 360! (Who Cares?) and my avast! (Oh Shit!)
3) Made a TON of pop-ups (typical...)
4) Disabled my internet and STILL a bunch of pop-ups!
5) Changed my wallpaper again to a picture of the grudge...(it was scary)
6) Restarted my computer twice!
7) And proceeded to sound the alarm at max volume! (I had my stereo on)

I reformatted today! (Didn't get me there)
And I'm installing windows update as we speak!

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
The worst I've ever had was something called Getmodule33. It made windows explorer crash, come back, and crash again. It crashed so often that I couldn't even find the file that was infected. Even booting into safe mode didn't help. AVG wouldn't detect it. I finally installed something called Malwarebytes anti-malware, and that solved the problem. I now use Sandboxie to protect my browser when going to unknown pages and downloading things.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had some Vundo based trojan once that refused to be uninstalled, and I ended up doing a system recovery.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im always super careful when it comes to things, yet i have had one time with some trojan i got. It messed up everything on my laptop, nothing worked, it was slow, safe mode was also giving me prob, i resorted into formatting my HDD. Man i wish i took the name of that trojan before.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heh the worst I've ever had is Virtumonde, which was pretty easy to nuke. However I managed to take along my DVD drivers but that was easy to reinstall. HijackThis is probably the best tool for deleting anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay