Hacking My external connection to test Wii Modstuff!

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Been busy with my Wii since my TriWing arrived.

Been thinking a long time to do an external mod not using the db9 or db25 connectors everybody is using i came after a few other ideas with a lan connector, as a lan cable has 8 wires i would hev a few spare ones on it, USB has only 4 (or is it 5) connections, so not enough.

This is what i came up with -> My External Wii Mod Connection!

I could have cutted in the case to fit the lan conection into the Wii making it nice and flush, but until a descent modchip is out that does everything without swapping and patching i stay with this
wink.gif

I have 2 spare wires for the future maybe or for something else.

I'm Ready for it!
biggrin.gif

_zZz_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
great idea. you didn't damage any part of the wii case, right? just passed the wires through the "ventilator"?

i prefer this than the other mods..
smile.gif
good job

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
great idea. you didn't damage any part of the wii case, right? just passed the wires through the "ventilator"?

i prefer this than the other mods..
smile.gif
good job
Passing things through the ventilation hole will however have adverse affects on the airflow for the Wii (Why I didn't choose this method). Also ethernet only carries 8 lines. Well, the more different mods out there the more to choose from I guess
smile.gif

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Djoen-

First off, I really appreciate your supercard list at dualscene.net. Thanks for doing all that work...

If you consider how quickly the first Wii chips were shown to suck, being able to change out chips without opening up your Wii makes sense. There is a good chance many of the newest commercial chips will, in time, be shown to suck too. I even bet my hopefully soon to arrive Wiip hardware will be too weak someday.

I have been thinking about doing the same kind of thing while I wait for my Wiip to show up. I was thinking of putting something like this RJ45 connection on the back of my Wii with double sided tape. This would work too.

The chip will be plugged in like a dongle so I can easily hook it up to my PC to program. I'm also thinking of making a conversion cable that allows the Wiip chip programing cable to connect to my Wii directly and let me play around with .exe mods.

The only thing stopping me is getting confirmation that Cat5e Ethernet cable work for a modchip.
lecture.gif
-- Anyone 100% sure Cat5e will work? --
lecture.gif

another

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know why it wouldn't.

each wire is individually insulated in the main cat5 cable. plus they're all color coded and since the connectors are clear it'd be easy to line the pins up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1