Hacking My CycloDS Evolution may be broken. May I have some assistence?

Shadow's Wra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would've posted this on the TeamCyclos forum, but registering to their forums has been disabled for some odd reason....

Here's what happened. I was exiting Moonshell when the whole thing froze. I knew that I shouldn't turn it off at that point, but frankly, what else could I do? When I turned it back on, both screens on my DS turned white after the initial loading. I had version 1.50 of their firmware at the time.

The micro SD card still works when I insert it into my computer. No files seem to be corrupted.

I've tried installing firmware version 1.51, defragging the micro SD for the first time, and simply cleaning all parts of the device. (sans rubbing alchohol, which I hear is the proper way...) Nothing works so far.

As for the warrenty, I don't remember when exactly I got it. It was at least a year ago.

My point comes to this: I'm willing to pay money to replace what's broken or take any advice that would fix this problem. I've seen CyclosDS Evolutions on sites for $50.00, sans shipping costs, but I really don't want to spend that much unless it's completely nesscessary. (I don't have a very good income, or "none at all", frankly...) Also, will TeamCyclos cover this in their warrenty? I swear, I did not physically abuse my CycloDS Evolution in any way, shape, or form. It simply died of a combination of bad luck and old age.

If any of you have the time and patience to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it if you do. Have a nice day.

Sincerely, Shadow's Wrath.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
I've tried installing firmware version 1.51, defragging the micro SD for the first time, and simply cleaning all parts of the device. (sans rubbing alchohol, which I hear is the proper way...) Nothing works so far.

WHOA! BAD, bad, BAD! *never* defrag Flash based media! It's terrible practice, as the number of write cycles on individual sectors on flash media is limited (defragging writes a LOT).
In most cases, the computer can read the memory card, but you need to do an FSCK / SCANDISK on the card to fix things. Cleaning probably won't harm it, but if all else fails a Reformat should do the trick.

mattsaysfooey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey tyler Not an expert here but maybe find a email addy for cyclo and see about a replacement?
I heard most fc sites that sell cyclo are pretty good about replacements or credit towards another
purchase. Maybe cyclo will replace it if you mail in disfunctional cart? Need some expert gbatemp help here
but it seems the micro is fine it's the fc that is busted.

Shadow's Wra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aphirst said:
QUOTE said:

WHOA! BAD, bad, BAD! *never* defrag Flash based media! It's terrible practice, as the number of write cycles on individual sectors on flash media is limited (defragging writes a LOT).
In most cases, the computer can read the memory card, but you need to do an FSCK / SCANDISK on the card to fix things. Cleaning probably won't harm it, but if all else fails a Reformat should do the trick.

1. Now I know not to defrag it anymore.
2. I don't know what a FSCK / SCANDISK is....
3. If the FSCK / SCANDISK tactic doesn't work, I'll backup what's on the micro SD and format it posthaste. (It's the same way with micro SDs as it is with floppy disks, right?)

Pedobear

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all fails, you can send them an email. You have to send 3+ before a response, but theyre really nice about replacing it. Also, have you tried downloading an older version of the firmware (download section)? Clearing the entire SDHC card and then running it on the cyclods so everything is remade.

Shadow's Wra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smurfbear said:
If all fails, you can send them an email. You have to send 3+ before a response, but theyre really nice about replacing it. Also, have you tried downloading an older version of the firmware (download section)? Clearing the entire SDHC card and then running it on the cyclods so everything is remade.

About the firmware....I went to their support page. All they had was the newest firmware.

Ohhhhh....you mean you have the older versions HERE on GBATemp? Well, that makes locating it and testing to see if it fixes it much simpler.

I'm a lazy git, even when it comes to my own problems, so it'll take me awhile to try all of your suggestions. But I'll try them all eventually.

Also, what do you mean by "the SDHC card"? I'm not that great with computer terminology....

MouseTrap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may have a solution, or at least an idea for you to try. A couple days ago my CycloDS would have two white screens after the initial loading. I had v1.51 of the firmware on my cart. In order to correct the problem I had to go into the "CycloDS folder"(at the root of the card) and delete "config" file (the cyclo will make a new one for you). After I did that, I turned my DS back on and the CycloDS loaded perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Shadow's Wra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just fixed the problem yesterday. I downgraded to version 1.41 and it started working again.

My guess is that it was prolly Moonshell throwing a fit with firmware version 1.5 and 1.51. I'll wait until they come out with a fix for this before upgrading again.

My thanks for all your advice. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::toot::hrth: +1