Gaming Must have games?

herbzilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there everyone!

I just bought myself a DS Lite and picked up a few games. I havent had a portable system since my original Gameboy (the huge grey box) 11 years ago. I picked up New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart DS, Brain Age, and Nintendogs (for the gf). Other than Tetris DS, none of the other DS games that are out right now really appeal to me.

So... the question of the day. Are there any MUST HAVE GBA games?

To help out, I am a really big fan of RPGs and I plan on getting all of the Final Fantasy games. I enjoy racing games sometimes too, but they have to have substance to them. The only reason I got mario kart was because I could play online. Other than that, I am looking for games that everyone enjoys and were essentially the classics of the GBA series.

If you need more info to narrow the search just ask me. I know this is really broad, and unlike just going to IGN and looking at the top rated games, I want to know from other gamers who own these games, what games really kick some ass?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Herb

UnknownBeast

Trophies
XP
Country
Golden Sun and Golden Sun:The Lost Age are a definite must have since you're an RPG fan.

Pokemon is a must have for some people.

herbzilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet. Thanks! I have never heard of the Golden Sun games. I will check them out.

Anything else that was really unique to GBA?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a puzzle game but I think it is great: eggo mania

RPG wise, people (not myself mind) have enjoyed Riviera and the Fire Emblem series.

I like the Advance Wars and the Tactics games (Final Fantasy Tactics, Onimusha Tactics and Tactics Ogre. I have not played the Yu Yu Hakusho tactics game).
It is Japanese but I hear an English release is coming soon: Super Robot Taisen (any in the series) is good too.
Nearly all of the strategy titles are worth at least a look in as well.

The series has been rinsed dry for myself and many others but if you are coming in to the GBA fresh you have to look at the Megaman Battle Network series (I suggest starting with 2 or above).

It is a guilty secret of mine but I quite enjoyed the Medabots RPG's, the Robopon games are pretty fun as well.

Breath of fire is not bad but you may have already played it.

Castlevania titles on the GBA are held in high regard.

All this being said you will find a lot of RPG's being Japanese only and translation (Japanese to English anyway) is not as big a thing as it is/was on the SNES, NES, Megadrive/Genesis and such.

This list should hopefully point you in the right direction but I will leave it to others.

One final thing though if you are an RPG fan Phoenix Wright is a great DS game (there are a few Japanese GBA titles going by the name of Gyakuten Saiban which incidently are being translated) which I am sure others around here would suggest taking a look at.

teh_raf3

Whatever suits you
Trophies
Website
users.pandora.be
XP
Country
Belgium
OMG whats wrong with you people.. arent u guys forgetting something.. ?

MOTHER 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If he wants to play it in Japanese that is...

Oh yeah,

Pokémon (Emerald, Firered or Leafgreen), Golden Sun, Secret Of Mana, Castlevania, Mario Advance games and a shitload of others =p

Better buy a flashcart instead of wasting your money on most GBA games, which aren't worth the full price...

matt1freek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
metroid zero mission and metroid fusion are great games
as well as castlevania aria of sorrow and harmony of dissonance
i suggest getting these 4 w/ the final fantasy games.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recommand WarioWare, it never gets old and I'm still playing it now.
biggrin.gif

herbzilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the feedback! You guys Rule! I will definately be looking into a lot of these games
smile.gif

As for buying a flashcart, I am. I havent decided which one yet, but I am going to wait for the DS Lite versions to come out. My philosophy is that if its an outstanding game, I should just buy it to support the developers. As for the lesser games that are fun for a few days, you are right, its not worth the money. I will be buying the Final Fantasy games, as they rarely disappoint. And since you guys reccomend these games, I will check them out and give them a whirl!

Mchart

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All 4 of the megaman zero games. They really are the best megaman games IMO. Very challenging, and great graphics. If you are into fighting games, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper is the must have for fighting games on the GBA. Dont forget Metal Slug Advance if you are into sidescrollers.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Megaman Zero - 1, 2, 3, 4 (4 has coolest game elements imo
biggrin.gif
)
Castlevania - COTM, HOD, AOS
Metroid - ZM, F
Final Fantasy 1&2: Dawn of Souls (never played them myself on the nes so it was a great experience imo, and the dawn of souls element was REALLY cool)
Final Fantasy 4
Golden Sun - 1, 2: The Lost Age
Hajime no Ippo (j) [buy it if u liked Super Punch Out on the snes, language isn't really a necessety)
Donkey Kong Country - 1, 2 (incase u missed them on the snes)
Sabre Wulf
River City Ransom EX
Tales of Phantasia (actually this is crappier than the snesversion, but it's the only officially translated version so far released, also it's got some really nasty slowdowns)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Boktai - 1, 2, 3 (if u only can afford one, get the latest one
biggrin.gif
)
Sword of Mana
Iridion 2
Lufia - Ruins of Lore (underrated rpg)
Breath of Fire - 1, 2 (if u like rpgs and didn't play them on the snes)
Contra Advance (if u didn't play super contra onsnes
biggrin.gif
)
Kuru Kuru Kururin, Kururin Paradise (the latter is jap only, but doesn't require any japanese language skills)
Ninja Cop/Ninja Five-O (really great ninja game, if u like those
tongue.gif
)
Wario 4 (one of the best games on gba, and still it's one of the earliest, awesome!
biggrin.gif
)

then there's that cool new drilling game (no not mr. driller) which i can't remember the name of
biggrin.gif

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
then there's that cool new drilling game (no not mr. driller) which i can't remember the name of
biggrin.gif
Drill Dozer! Great game!

For Racing games:
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Racing Gears Advance
F-Zero

For RPG games:
Golden Sun 1/2
Mother 3 (english fan translation is on the way)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why it never comes up much but I guess since it's real 3D everyone would assume it runs like crap, but V-Rally 3 should NOT be missed. The engine is like a scaled back Saturn method of rendering polygonal structures to a non-3D based chunk of hardware. It runs very smoothly and fast, controls are spot on, has even an in car view with a crackable windshield and hands on the wheel. Visually it does the same as saturn did whereas nearest the screen polygons will show a warbling effect, but otherwise have nice fluid detail (and on such a small screen looks sweet.) Has both a normal rally mode, but also a rally cross (lap track) mode too, plus I think it's single cart multiplayer as well. Highly recommend NOT ignoring it.

Mchart

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why it never comes up much but I guess since it's real 3D everyone would assume it runs like crap, but V-Rally 3 should NOT be missed. The engine is like a scaled back Saturn method of rendering polygonal structures to a non-3D based chunk of hardware. It runs very smoothly and fast, controls are spot on, has even an in car view with a crackable windshield and hands on the wheel. Visually it does the same as saturn did whereas nearest the screen polygons will show a warbling effect, but otherwise have nice fluid detail (and on such a small screen looks sweet.) Has both a normal rally mode, but also a rally cross (lap track) mode too, plus I think it's single cart multiplayer as well. Highly recommend NOT ignoring it.

If that game didnt have the graphics though, i'm fairly certain people would suggest other racing games. Yes, it has good graphics for the GBA, but gameplay wise - its mediocre racing game.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read through it all pretty quick but tI don't think I saw the Mario and Luigi RPG mentioned. Both the GBA and the DS sequel would be a great pick up.
lecture.gif

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Elrinth, why not DKC3? That was my favorite, apart from a few levels which tried too hard to be innovative.

I'd suggest Disney's Aladdin, as well as Mario Advance 2, 3, and 4 as far as platformers that haven't been mentioned are concerned. If you like puzzles, you should look into Dr. Mario/Puzzle League 2-in-1. It's great. For strategy, I'd suggest Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and any Yu-Gi-Oh game (specifically, Eternal Duelist Soul and Dungeon Dice Monsters). For sports, you can't go wrong with Mario Tennis Advance Tour.

Games to avoid:
Driv3r - Amazing engine, cheap gameplay
Need for speed (any) - Sacrifices playable framerate for PS1 level visuals
Mortal Kombat Advance - Terrible and buggy
Gameboy Advance Video (any) - A huge waste
Tony Hawk (any) - Only the 3D ones are any good
Crash Nitro Kart - A weak Mario Kart ripoff
Konami Krazy Racers - A slightly less weak Mario Kart ripoff
Monster Truck Madness- Controls are laggy, yet overresponsive
Big Motha' Truckers - Ugly, bad framerate, plays like a pre-alpha version
Any Disney game other than Aladdin - subpar platformers, play like shareware.

Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wait wait wait.. Is that the same Aladdin as the pc game? GBA has lots of great games I've missed. If you like turn based strategy, you should look into advance wars, and maybe fire emblem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...