Music to the hdd

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is a burned CD the only way to get music to the original XBOX? Is there any way to FTP the music over? My system has a modchip, if it makes any difference.

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have XBMC/kodi then you can play it back as you will with all the formats it supports.

If you want it for use with the 5 or so games that allowed custom audio ( https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?154960-Xbox-Custom-Soundtrack-Games https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,302/p,13/ ) then that needs to be a format it understands. If memory serves it was some very particular and custom form of WMA. Don't know what it will be like trying to do that on a Windows 10 machine or with open source but the following looks like it might be a start.

Personally I would just play it via whatever means and share the audio around but if you want to dodge that then you do you.

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want it for use with the 5 or so games that allowed custom audio
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. I guess I happen to be the only one playing those games :rofl: because I use custom soundtracks in all my sports games.
So, it IS doable? On the 360 the only way is burning CDs.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to use the normal custom audio from the guide with your games on the 360. it looks like I no longer have mine set up, but from what I remember, it doesn't need to be in a specific location, and it can be on the hdd. one thing that the 360 can do that the ps3 can't. lol that's just the 360 (no idea about xbox original).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re "guide"
On the 360 you could have an audio player in the background after a certain update (might have been there early but I remember several updates to things here). You could access it pressing the big middle button, aka guide. I don't know if games could prevent it but it was otherwise then available for everything.

The original xbox custom audio did however need the base game to support such options, and even the custom dashboards could not do much.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. I guess I happen to be the only one playing those games :rofl: because I use custom soundtracks in all my sports games.
So, it IS doable? On the 360 the only way is burning CDs.
Yeah there are ways to take PC audio, convert it to the fancy custom WMA format that it wants it to be in without all the tags or whatever that stock things/plain old windows media player might include, fire it across with FTP to your hacked box and go from there. It has however been years since I considered anything like it so I don't know what to point you at like I might for other aspects of original xbox modding. Search yields several tools and that video so hopefully you can get something done.
Burned CDs (assuming they work with your DVD drive -- they are not great drives) is mostly for those going from unhacked original xboxes. Somewhat guessing but that might have stuck around for the 360 because at the point people were still interested in BC/not for quite a while was the 360 hacked for homebrew code (see rise of JTAG for that one, nobody really had king kong) and thus the original xbox emulator included with 360s did not have any nice homebrew options to fiddle with things (though drives were accessible so maybe you can with a stock/dvd mod 360 these days if you bother to find/make a hard drive adapter or otherwise gain access).

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there technically is a 3rd party custom soundtrack creator (x360 music organizer), but it sucks a lot!
I've tried it. It is painfully awful. Spent a DAY a year ago trying to make it work. ...it doesn't.
Went back to my tactic from 10 years ago which was to burn a CD-RW.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1