Some of my PS1 backups have audio issue

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there,

to preserve my original ps1 collection, I did a backup of most my games. Once I burn them on a CD, most of them works well on my modified ps1. But a few of them have audio issue, like the sound effect works well, while the music is totally messed up, music sound like a radio interference, making the game totally unplayable for my hears.

So, why is this happening on some games while most of them works grate? I tried more time, but it seems to be a problem of some specific games, like rayman, puzzle bobble 3 and 4, time crisi project titan

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe CD-DA tracks recorded the wrong way (byte swapped). This will result in loud noise, anything but music
https://alex-free.github.io/cdrdao/
(search for audio on that page)
=====

Most (later) games do not use CD-DA but compressed audio (XA-ADPCM) also supported by the PS1
https://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm#cdromcdaudiocommands
Normal CD audio is very demanding in space and if you got a complex game, maybe even containing full motion video, this is usually not an option. All games using normal data sectors to store compressed music are not affected by this problem.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

to preserve my original ps1 collection, I did a backup of most my games. Once I burn them on a CD, most of them works well on my modified ps1. But a few of them have audio issue, like the sound effect works well, while the music is totally messed up, music sound like a radio interference, making the game totally unplayable for my hears.

So, why is this happening on some games while most of them works grate? I tried more time, but it seems to be a problem of some specific games, like rayman, puzzle bobble 3 and 4, time crisi project titan
@FlareReZ should chime in here, they know all about PS1 backups, and the specifics there-in. It's possible you might need to re-rip your games using a byte-by-byte copy method, and then burn them slow as possible to CD using the DAO (Disc-at-once) method, at 2x or 4x speed for best results. The media can also affect the quality of the burn too, I try to stay away from spindled media, especially the ones with silver tops. The data layer is completely unprotected and flakes off easily after a few years, leading to rapid disc rot. Buying discs that come in 10-packs with the jewel cases is much better.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

You would be better off ripping your games using ImgBurn or CloneCD whichever you prefer to get a good 1:1 copy. Redump also has a guide. http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Disc_Dumping_Guide_(MPF)

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You would be better off ripping your games using ImgBurn or CloneCD whichever you prefer to get a good 1:1 copy. Redump also has a guide. http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Disc_Dumping_Guide_(MPF)
I found the problem. Basically if I burn games that have olny 1 bin file, the audio is ok, while burning multiple bin games, the audio is messed up. I also tried to combine the multiple bin in one single bin file, but those games, even converted in 1 bin, still have audio issue. So, I think there is no way to burn multiple traks games and having good audio?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found the problem. Basically if I burn games that have olny 1 bin file, the audio is ok, while burning multiple bin games, the audio is messed up. I also tried to combine the multiple bin in one single bin file, but those games, even converted in 1 bin, still have audio issue. So, I think there is no way to burn multiple traks games and having good audio?
Those games with multiple bin files are those with CD-DA tracks (if burned correctly the music will play on any normal CD player starting from track 2 as track 1 in the game data track).
Each music track corresponds with one .bin file in that format.

Seems your burning application is screwing things up. Verify your dumps work correctly in an emulator or dump your original CDs again. An application like CloneCD will automatically create good backups (given the source is okay).

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those would be CDDA games for sure.

How are you loading your discs? Through modchip or softmod disc swap?

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Those would be CDDA games for sure.

How are you loading your discs? Through modchip or softmod disc swap?

I am loading games through my PAL PSone (ps slim) with a modchip to read gamesbackups, and then using a backup CD of the latest Tonyhax to read NTSC backups. All games run well, only the multiple bin games have this issue
Post automatically merged:

Those games with multiple bin files are those with CD-DA tracks (if burned correctly the music will play on any normal CD player starting from track 2 as track 1 in the game data track).
Each music track corresponds with one .bin file in that format.

Seems your burning application is screwing things up. Verify your dumps work correctly in an emulator or dump your original CDs again. An application like CloneCD will automatically create good backups (given the source is okay).
What i tried to do, is to use other backups, not mines. Since I have the original game too. But still, the multi bin games have this issue

So bacisally, how I burn CDDA games? I am using brasero on linux, but doesn't work properly with cdda

Last edited by Tackskull,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So bacisally, how I burn CDDA games? I am using brasero on linux, but doesn't work properly with cdda
A command you could try is in the link I posted above.
cdrdao write --speed 1 --driver generic-mmc-raw --swap --eject yourgame.cue

You could also try the Windows application ImgBurn which works great under Wine. You have to change some I/O setting though – else the program will not find any optical drives.
Imgburn_Linux.png
(Screenshot from laptop running Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS)

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
  • Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A command you could try is in the link I posted above.
cdrdao write --speed 1 --driver generic-mmc-raw --swap --eject yourgame.cue

You could also try the Windows application ImgBurn which works great under Wine. You have to change some I/O setting though – else the program will not find any optical drives.
View attachment 404803
(Screenshot from laptop running Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS)
I tried many times using this, but doesn't work. i tried to open the terminal in the folder of the game and run this command too, I am not so good with the linux terminal, what have to do exactly to run this commnad?

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks you all guys, what I did is to buy an external cd/dvd reader on my MSI laptop (wich is the only laptop who run windows). Using imgburn at 1x speed, I copied CDDA games without issue, and the audio is awesome :D

Thanks

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol