MultiBoot

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Waflix, Jun 13, 2011.

Jun 13, 2011

MultiBoot by Waflix at 2:27 PM (1,481 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Waflix
    OP

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    I want to install Linux and Windows on my PC, and a solution for that is the MultiBoot system. I was wondering if it is possible to have a MultiBoot with a graphical user interface. Like when you boot Linux Slax, you can choose a few things and then it starts the OS in the way you want.

[​IMG]

2. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I triple boot Backtrack, Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop, linux will automatically detect any other OS installations and add them to the boot menu, but windows will only detect other windows installations, therefore I suggest installing Windows first, then Linux, and you should see both windows and linux in the boot menu automatically. Otherwise you'd have to add Linux to the windows boot menu manually.

3. Waflix
    OP

Netherlands
    Bookmarked this topic! I'll try this out when I have the time to do this. Thanks in advance.

4. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Yeah, almost all Linux Distros either use (GRUB Legacy), or Grub 2. It's a bootloader with support for multibooting. It can even boot Mac OSX if your computer supports it, and if the right packages are installed and configured. It can boot Windows as well, it's primary function is to serve as the Linux Bootloader

Alot of distros that use Grub Legacy will say that they do this because GRUB2 supposedly isn't stable yet. This is actually very, very untrue, Grub2 has existed for 2-3 years now, and it's more stable and supports more stuff than Grub Legacy does (I dont see legacy grub supporting BTRFS without patching)

Grub2 is the way to go, and you can theme it as well. It's possible to change the background, text, etc as long as you know how to configure it.

Read some of these for more info

Ubuntu Grub2 Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    Arch Linux Grub2 Documentation: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
    General Grub2 Documentation: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

Just for the reference, Arch uses Grub Legacy initially, but you can install Grub2 using pacman or yaourt, or whatever floats your boat.

There are also bootloaders such as LILO (Linux Loader), and Syslinux, but those are not as widely used as Grub is, and I highly advise against using them.

5. Discover

Member Discover GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    You should use a portable harddrive or high-capacity USB. That's what I did with my Linux which works on any computer. Try pressing F2 or F11 on start-up for boot options.

6. Waflix
    OP

Netherlands
    Did you read the OP? I asked if it was possible to use a GUI.

7. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    You can really simply install BURG in Ubuntu. This is a gui version of GRUB and it's really pretty. ^^

8. drewmerc

Member drewmerc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    heres a pic of my boot menu (running in burg emu so i can screen grab it)
    grub2, created with burg as part of super boot manager www.sourceslist.eu
    [​IMG]

9. Waflix
    OP

Netherlands
    That's (almost) exactly what I was looking for! Not that I knew of this method, but it looks like the picture in my mind! Now I only have to finish my test week, and install Linux and Windows! Darn, stupid school that is actually not so stupid because without it I wouldn't post this topic now.

10. drewmerc

Member drewmerc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i'm going to be honest doing that was not easy about 5 hours, but i was a total linux noob when i did it and none of it was really done by me, gfx stolen from chamelion bootloader(OSX) and the gray background is a burg theme, so really all i did was add the big icons and move the timer bar to the bottom (not pictured it just a 2 tone 5 second timer bar), and yet i still think it was worth the 5 hours
    but even now it would still take me a long time cause i have only done it once and now i'm scared of touching it encase i fuck it up (plus i only see it about once a week) but i am very happy with it