Hacking Question Move to Larger SD Card - Games not booting

deanspeed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running SD file based emuMMC Atmosphere and wanted to swap to a larger SD Card. I copied and pasted all files from old SD Card to New SD card, both formatted as fat32. Hekate boots up just fine and so does Atmosphere. Everything works as it should with original SD card, only thing I am having trouble with on the new card is that my backed up games wont boot. Was there something else I needed to do for this to work? Please let me know if you need any more info.

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally, if you don't have any other partitions, copying from one SD to another should do it. If you want to make an exact duplicate, which I typically do, is to use a disk imager, like Win32 Disk Imager, to create an image of the original SD, then use that image to create write to the new SD card. At that point the new SD card will not have all the additional space, it will be just an exact image of the old card. Try that new SD on your switch to see if that still works. Then if that works, you can use a partition manager (such as the free EaseUS Partition Master) to extend the FAT32 partition to gain the new space of the new SD card. That is a little bit of work, but worth a try.

deanspeed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How likely is it that all the games got corrupted during copy, and nothing else? It kind of seems like its acting as if sigpatches aren't installed. Is it possible I need to reinstall them? hmm... I will try doing it with Win32 Disk Imager and see if that works. I'll give an update once I am done.

A side note, I did the copy on a chromebook, and it fell asleep several times mid transfer before I disabled sleep while plugged in. It took all night to do the transfer (just under 500GB). I wonder if falling asleep during transfer could have caused a problem, or the fact that I did it on a chromebook rather than my Windows PC.

Last edited by deanspeed,

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't trust a computer that goes to sleep while I'm actively doing something like copying. Maybe you can split up your copying to multiple "sessions", each just a few folders, instead of copying the whole SD card. That way you know which folders have been copied successfully.

deanspeed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you suggest is how I've always gone about moving lots of files in the past to prevent lots of issues that can arise, but this time didn't feel like sitting there and baby sitting it. I did turn off sleep, but that was after It had already done it several times. I attempted to use Win32 Disk Imager, but since all of my HDD's on my desktop are mostly full, I do not have 500GB of free storage to dump an image to, and I was unable to figure out how to clone straight to the other microsd card with this software. So I went with another software I'm a bit more familiar with. I've never had to clone a drive before so I didn't know it can do it, but GParted is a really good free partition editor for linux that you can boot up from a memory stick, which is what I did. This did an excellent job at cloning my micro SD card. Everything is up and running perfectly with the new card. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Did you also copy the folders with the sigpatches?

Another possibility would be that you got scammed with a fake SD card.
You could run h2testw to check it (as a last resort).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf