Motherboard swapping

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kiri, May 20, 2017.

1. kiri
    OP

kiri Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Would the a bricked 3ds xl work if you switch the motherboard with a motherboard from a normal working 3ds xl?

2. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    Motherboard = Most of the price of a new (not New) 3DS.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes: the contents of the nand and the contents of the otp (itself inside the processor) must be a matched pair, and both are part of the motherboard

There may be pinout problems if one system has TN screens and the other IPS (or am I misremembering another model of 3ds?)

4. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    from what I'v seen the both screens are interchangeable which leave me to believe they have the same pinout.

5. kiri
    OP

kiri Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    So it would work if I were to do a swap

6. ashudow

ashudow GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2017
    Australia
    Look, the "motherboard" is simply referred to as the NAND here, even though the NAND is part of the motherboard. So I am seeing that you probably have CFW because you bricked, that sucks, I had a problem like that but thanks to my best friend, the NAND backup, I fixed it. I wouldn't recommend replacing the NAND yourself but instead take it to a shop that doesnt care if you have CFW or not and do the replacement regardless.

And also as said above, stay aware of IPS and TN display, because that can have an effect on the restored product. Also make sure you wipe your SD card clean if you do replace the NAND, because then you will have better success at not having a worse scenario when you boot it up with the new NAND, and you can just start over from scratch.

Last edited by ashudow, May 21, 2017