• Poll closed .

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
windows8-fail.jpg
Is your computer running Windows 8? Do you often make use of Metro apps? Are you like most Windows 8 users: you totally ignore this whole side of Microsoft's dashing new OS?
More specifically, the study indicated that on average, Windows 8 users will launch a Metro application just 1.52 times per day with 60 percent of desktop and laptop users launching an average of less than one Metro app per day. This figure is only marginally increased for tablet users who on average launch 2.71 Metro apps per day and 44 percent who average less than one Metro app per day.
[...]
Soluto’s study also, unsurprisingly, noted that the most commonly used Metro application was “Windows Communication Apps,” an app container that represents the Calendar, Mail, Messaging and People applications. With the exception of Netflix, the top 10 most popular applications have been developed by Microsoft and are often pre-installed.
Full details on the original article at Tomshardware.com

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use the dash as I really have no use for it; I usually go straight to desktop. Now if I was on mobile... maybe I would... but I'm not.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SHOCKING!
Windows 3.1 also had a similar GUI.
Non resize-able windows.

Microsoft spend 25 years on perfecting the desktop environment.
Nice rounded edges, colours that blend well and fade neatly.
And now.. they took a step backwards with ugly solid colours and sharp edges.

No, Win 8 for me.
Never.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is this Microsoft Bob all over again? A complete novelty of no practical use?
I mean how much more embarrassing can this get? Take the hint Microsoft, do more than just take Metro to the backseat, actually kick it off the curb.

Reactions: Ergo

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use predominantly Ubuntu, well XFCE flavor of it Xubuntu with a win7 partition for the occasional game or what have you odd thing I can only use windows for.
I didn't care for Unity and metro is disgusting in comparison to even it. Microsoft with the xboxone and this you are doing great at what you have always done, not doing shit right.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metro is awful. Windows 8 isn't so bad, it's a bit better than Win7 in terms of performance. I use Windows 8 with every trace of Metro removed and Start8 (brings start menu back)

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Windows 8 and first thing I did was install classic shell which replaces the start button. I have NEVER used a metro app.

Septimo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think the statistics would be that low, but I'm not really surprised. I don't have Windows 8, but my cousin does so I've used it first hand and honestly I was completely lost. There was a point where I just said the hell with it and used the desktop instead. It seems like at least some people felt the same way. In theory Windows 8 should be more practical, but I honestly find it more of a confusing mess.

Don't think there should be a Windows 8 For Dummies needed for something that is supposed to be so immediately accessible.

Just my opinion.

I do want to give Windows 8 another try and familiarize myself with it, so I'm planning to get Surface for my next tablet/laptop.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still think they should have added the option not to install the "metro" stuff, at least in the Pro version.... which self respecting professional user is going to use that piece of crap? I'm not...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The study still leaves us with 40% of Metro users, and Windows is easily the most popular OS in the world - that's millions of users. Windows 8 is the first OS to utilize Metro - naturally there is some apperhension as far as the use of the side apps is concerned, but that will eventually fade away as time goes by. Users simply got used to the old UI and cling to it, unwilling to adapt. I remember a similar situation taking place when users were unwilling to switch to Vista, clinging to their beloved XP for their dear lives and yet most of us use 7 these days. Change takes time, there is definitely a lot of good the live-updated tiles and apps can offer, users just have to discover it all by themselves, you can't force them.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
win 8 to me didn't look like a significant upgrade to win7 and I couldn't care less about the metro UI as it's for damn tablets mostly anyway. win7 is still working fine for me no need to upgrade to 8.

Reactions: Deleted User

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only bought Windows 8 because it was 14.99 as a legit copy due to a promotion.

It does run better than Windows 7 in terms of performance from what I noticed. Other than that, I don't use metro but use Oblytiles for the heck of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P