On Windows 8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I really like to use new Windows 8, it's modern start (metro) menu and nearly all it's new features. I use it at home from the release date and at work for a two or three months and I really love it and didn't want Win 7 interface anymore.

For metro apps, I use some of them: OneNote, Mail and sometimes Internet Explorer. I think it's a matter of your computer usage scheme. To create, to generate content you have to use desktop apps, but for the consuming metro isn't so bad. But don't try to combine.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other news, Windows 8 still has a long ways to go until it's a respectable OS.
Uhhhh...no. You are wrong, and have no idea what you're talking about, just like every other idiot that bashes Windows 8. Didja know Windows 8 has a fully working desktop? Oh, it's an app now, you say? It always was an app. Explorer.exe. That's all desktop is. The usage of the start screen is opinionated, I prefer it, some don't. But it is still 100% as functional as Windows 7 is. Every setting and option is there(okay, MOSTLY every). Everything Win8 does, it does better than Windows 7, by a technological standpoint. It is faster, it boots faster and smoother, and runs much better.

So guess what. Windows 8 is a souped up Windows 7 with some features that are purely optional put in, too. Just like 7 was souped up Vista. Just like Vista was souped up XP. And so on and so on. After all...it's WINDOWS.

Reactions: The Milkman and oji

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every single client that uses windows 8 thus far has since had classic start or similar installed (it is even in ninite). Of those that had to use it for longer than 5 days.... every single one has thanked me for it.

"So guess what. Windows 8 is a souped up Windows 7 with some features that are purely optional put in, too. Just like 7 was souped up Vista. Just like Vista was souped up XP. And so on and so on"

I take issue with the "and so on and so on" part -- XP was the first main commercial release of the unification of the NT and 9? kernel lines (2000 was great but it was not a end user thing really). 95 was not a shell like 3.?.

D

Deleted User

I don't really see a reason to upgrade from windows 7 (I have used w8 for a few months and I never used any metro apps xD).

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
SHOCKING!
Windows 3.1 also had a similar GUI.
Non resize-able windows.

Microsoft spend 25 years on perfecting the desktop environment.
Nice rounded edges, colours that blend well and fade neatly.
And now.. they took a step backwards with ugly solid colours and sharp edges.

No, Win 8 for me.
Never.

Exactly how I think about it, they poured millions in perfecting the GUI, and then they trash it? O.o

I mean seriously... xd

dumbasses :P

Reactions: DinohScene

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uhhhh...no. You are wrong, and have no idea what you're talking about, just like every other idiot that bashes Windows 8. Didja know Windows 8 has a fully working desktop? Oh, it's an app now, you say? It always was an app. Explorer.exe. That's all desktop is. The usage of the start screen is opinionated, I prefer it, some don't. But it is still 100% as functional as Windows 7 is. Every setting and option is there(okay, MOSTLY every). Everything Win8 does, it does better than Windows 7, by a technological standpoint. It is faster, it boots faster and smoother, and runs much better.

So guess what. Windows 8 is a souped up Windows 7 with some features that are purely optional put in, too. Just like 7 was souped up Vista. Just like Vista was souped up XP. And so on and so on. After all...it's WINDOWS.
Yeah, I've used Windows 8. I've tried to fix the extensive problems Windows 8 presents for others. It's an absolutely awful OS, and not just in terms of general functionality. I bash it from experience, not because of blind hatred. It is not a respectable OS. It is nowhere near the level that 7 presents in terms of absolutely anything. Just about the only thing I liked about 8 was the remarkably quick boot time. That is undoubtedly the only thing the average computer user will see as better than 7, and even then, I don't know anybody that would sacrifice the easy to use and generally all around better OS that 7 is for the sake of that alone.

Like how many people chose to stick with XP until 7, I think sticking with 7 until the next decent Windows OS comes around would be a decent idea.

Oh, and try not being a condescending jackass next time. It makes it really hard to reply nicely when you don't deserve it.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
I just use the start screen/Metro screen for custom desktop shortcuts for programs and my steam library.
That reminds me, I need to disable the messaging app that messages me 5 minutes after the actual message has been sent to me.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only Metro app I use is the mail app. I like it, it doesn't require me to have my browser open like most addons, is integrated in Windows so the popups work anywhere and it's pretty light.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every single client that uses windows 8 thus far has since had classic start or similar installed (it is even in ninite). Of those that had to use it for longer than 5 days.... every single one has thanked me for it.

Of course they thanked you, they were allowed back to their comfort zone.

A lot of people didn't want to use the start menu when Windows 95 came out either, so Microsoft allowed upgrades from 3.1 to keep running Program Manager. That was a huge mistake.

I kinda missed the start menu for a short while, but after reinstalling the beta/rc/rtm so many times I eventually got bored with installing a start menu replacement and just got on with learning how to do the same things in Windows 8. I never use metro, I suppose I might if I had a touch screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course they thanked you, they were allowed back to their comfort zone.

Maybe but I hold that 5 days and still failing to make a positive impression is far too long. These are people that have previously done things like switch to libreoffice/openoffice and full fleshed outlook to thunderbird without too much pain as well.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"So guess what. Windows 8 is a souped up Windows 7 with some features that are purely optional put in, too. Just like 7 was souped up Vista. Just like Vista was souped up XP. And so on and so on"

I take issue with the "and so on and so on" part -- XP was the first main commercial release of the unification of the NT and 9? kernel lines (2000 was great but it was not a end user thing really). 95 was not a shell like 3.?.

Actually, Win 95 was still a shell on DOS. It was quite easy to boot to a dos prompt if you wanted to. Then you could just type win to load the shell.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
They made absolutely zero reasons for regular Windows 7 users to upgrade. They have bought over 100€ OS and then they should be upgrading to touch optimized OS. If user has SSD, several gigs of ram and over double core processor there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade as it's almost as fast 8! Gamers don't want to upgrade as most games are still optimized for Windows XP and DirectX 9 and Microsoft doesn't give a shit about this one and focuses their gaming plans on xbox.

After seeing couple Internet Explorer ads I get the idea what Microsoft is driving through as I know several people who just use browser on computer and puts all their bookmarks on desktop as I have repaired computers. Usually they also put everything else in there too so metro gives nicer view on those bookmarks and forces people to store their data on places they should. For regular power user this is just awful.
Also I don't get that Microsoft is stating metro is new start menu as it's nothing like powerful start menu from Windows 7. There's slight animation to disturb and I use super key -> couple letters -> enter -> program starts as metro it has everything categorized which needs mousework! It also covers whole screen and has massive icons for everything.

TL;DR: Microsoft needs to do lot of work to appeal power users, gamers and everyone who doesn't have bloody touch screens and don't want bloody touch screens! This includes just dumbing metro to deepest hell!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I use it by choice at work, I don't use any Classic Start 'n' stuff, and I don't really miss the Start menu either.

I'm a power user, and every Win8 basher out there should just... DEAL WITH IT.

It has to be said that I don't use any Modern UI app except Mail (sometimes), and I'm _always_ in the Desktop mode.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Metro apps are designed for touch screen. If you don't have one (like me), there is no point to using metro apps. The metro apps are terrible to use with a mouse.
However, if you do have a touch screen, I'm sure the metro apps are easier to use then the desktop apps.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
I did have a chance to Try 8.Personally I think it's beautiful.But,
it's annoying to switch applications by the START menu!Even using Alt + Tab to switch quickly is a pain.The full screen is a pain, why wouldn't I volume, time, brightness, ect from the bottom of the screen.
I'm sure you all know how you multitask between applications, lol, not anymore!Yep, explorer is not going to be open while you use Crome.The start screen is not for your mouse either.When you download roms, you're going to have a bad time trying to move it to folders without multitasking.Finding programs from the Start takes some time, why do that when you can do that from the desktop.
But at least we still have desktop, which is basically 7.

That makes it way easier to switch to 7.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I only use Metro on my Microsoft Surface when I'm not doing intense things like development on the Desktop, unless it's OneNote.
Metro OneNote is great.
SHOCKING!
Windows 3.1 also had a similar GUI.
Non resize-able windows.

Microsoft spend 25 years on perfecting the desktop environment.
Nice rounded edges, colours that blend well and fade neatly.
And now.. they took a step backwards with ugly solid colours and sharp edges.

No, Win 8 for me.
Never.
Those are shortcuts, not windows. Your argument is invalid. You can't resize individual shortcuts on Windows 7 either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...