I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't touched a single Metro app.

I only use Windows 8 because of it's speed, UEFI windows boot manager, and DX11.

Windows 8 with Start8 made it what it should have been; gets rid of all the Metro/Charms and crap. It's more of a Windows 7 2.0

Plus I got it for $14 :P

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use Windows 8 on all my Windows machines and I'm a huge fan of it.
Also I do use the Modern UI occasionally. But I really only use Windows for a C# environment via Visual Studio so maybe I'm biased.
But I really do like the modern UI.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is windows 8 really all that bad? I do things on PC plenty, games, shows, what ever. I've been on windows 7 for awhile, how much of a step down is 8? can I not play MKVs or use media player classic? is using my PSP full screen no going o happen anymore? or is installing stuff a plain pain?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Is windows 8 really all that bad? I do things on PC plenty, games, shows, what ever. I've been on windows 7 for awhile, how much of a step down is 8? can I not play MKVs or use media player classic? is using my PSP full screen no going o happen anymore? or is installing stuff a plain pain?

That depends. You can't play MKVs or use media player classic in Metro/Modern mode. As for how far of a step down it is, if you use things like start8/classic start menu to stay in desktop mode then it isn't a step down at all though do you really want to have to pay $50 for Object Desktop just to make it work more or less like 7. However, if you stick mostly to Metro/Modern (and treat the desktop as a legacy mode that should be avoided as much as possible) like you are supposed to then it is a huge step down. You can't even choose your own wallpaper image and can't really multitask at all. Not to mention the only browser allowed is IE without any addons or plugins so forget about essentials like adblock. Think Windows 1.0.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Metro is counter-intuitive, if you want to boot any programs/applications you need to switch to another screen or keep shortcuts on the desktop. I shouldn't have to go to a completely new screen to launch an application and I refuse to accept that as standard practice. I still use XP on my personal computer but my buddy uses 8 and every time I use his PC I am annoyed.

googlebot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use linux on ALL machines and I have at least 5 years. There is nothing you can't do in linux what can be done in windows exclusively.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Windows 3.1
311b4.jpg

9X
Windows_98_Desktop_by_Dogman15.jpg

Windows XP
Windows_XP-Desktop.png

Windows Vista
MyDec06VistaDesktop.png

Windows7
6a1c6800_vbattach133589.jpeg

Windows 8

sri-windows-8-desktop.jpg

Windows-8-desktop.jpg

Windows 8.1 (Aka Winblue)
Untitled.jpg

blue-desktop.jpg

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Win 8.1 is now officially bringing back the start button and boot todesktop, preatty much exactly like start 8 works.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/start-button-officially-returning-with-windows-81
The boot to desktop will be nice, but this new "Start" button seems like a placebo. I think everyone here knows what the "Start" button (as well as the Window key on the keyboard) used to do on pre OS8. When Microsoft removed the "Start" button, they didn't remove the Window key from the keyboards. The Window key in 8 can be used to bring up Metro and desktop (I've been using "Window+M" to show desktop since about XP and still works on 8.) So now they are proposing to bring back the "Start" button that we have been clamoring for, yet it will do exactly what the Window key in 8 does now?!?!?! I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough misinterpret all of this no "Start" button hubub; but I also don't think they are stupid enough to reincorporate the functionality of the once mighty "Start" button anytime soon into Windows 8.

tl;dr @Microsoft, when we said we missed the "Start" button, we didn't mean its physical presence on the desktop; we meant its functionality.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
/snip
tl;dr @Microsoft, when we said we missed the "Start" button, we didn't mean its physical presence on the desktop; we meant its functionality.
The Start button brings up the Start screen...they stopped using the term "Metro" before Windows 8 came out. And exactly what functionality did they remove? It's practically the same thing as the pre-Windows 8 start menu, except it's full screen, has more room for pinnable programs, and requires 1 more click to access non-pinned programs.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Start button brings up the Start screen...they stopped using the term "Metro" before Windows 8 came out. And exactly what functionality did they remove? It's practically the same thing as the pre-Windows 8 start menu, except it's full screen, has more room for pinnable programs, and requires 1 more click to access non-pinned programs.
I see what you're saying, and you're correct. Personally, I like Windows 8 even though I've only been using it consistently for the last few weeks. Perhaps, "functionality" was the wrong word as I was merely channeling the thoughts and opinions of some of my fellow co-workers that are lost at times without the pre-8 "layout/form" of the Start window.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I don't use the Metro apps because they're usually inconvenient. They cover the entire screen and due to the fact that they don't run via the desktop you can't really work around it as well as you could if it was in a window. I just go straight to the Desktop.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is really nothing wrong with the Metro "design" other than the fact it is meant for touch enabled devices. It looks sleek and smooth, and seems to be very responsive. A huge problem is, that it really only provides a decent experience with touch enabled devices. And another huge problem is, that the apps just suck (at least with the stock Microsoft ones). They are just so barebones and unintuitive. Why can't I view more info about this mp3 I have or why can't I jump to a page number in the pdf viewer!?

I have no problem with the start menu and apps taking the full screen (depending on what they are) as the time it takes to change focus is probably not that different from me hitting the button/area to switch back to the desktop. The boot to desktop really should have been a given though.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metro mode was created so you can click off the desktop. And you can. Technically the desktop is still loaded at all times, it being displayed is switched to off. Saving very tiny amount of resources.

I think for windows 8.5 or Windows 9, they will actually make the desktop turned off completely when you run an app or game in "metro" mode. Freeing up a decent amount of cpu and gpu resources for the app or game you're running.

To me it would make a certain amount of sense to have the desktop and related features turned off when running full screen apps. More resources available the better.

I think of it this way, the start screen is really an app tray and the desktop a tray for your most used apps. I treated the start pretty much the same way pre-windows 8. Even in android you can it set the gui is shut down when running an app.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I use Windows 8 on all my Windows machines and I'm a huge fan of it.
Also I do use the Modern UI occasionally. But I really only use Windows for a C# environment via Visual Studio so maybe I'm biased.
But I really do like the modern UI.

Even though you have to pay a hundred bucks a year to run software that hasn't yet been approved by Microsoft? Oh, and desktop mode will be gone in Windows 9 and it will be Metro (and their app store, just like iOS) only unless you jailbreak your desktop.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even though you have to pay a hundred bucks a year to run software that hasn't yet been approved by Microsoft? Oh, and desktop mode will be gone in Windows 9 and it will be Metro (and their app store, just like iOS) only unless you jailbreak your desktop.

You're retarded if you think WIndows 9 will drop the standard desktop.
You're crazy if you think Microsoft can afford to do that. They can't, that future won't be here anytime soon

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If it's gone you won't be able to jail break it.

I barely used the start menu on windows 7, I used to pin all the apps I use to the task bar. Windows 8 works pretty much the same way, but is quicker and looks nicer.

I can't wait for the start button to come back and for everyone to realise that they aren't getting the start menu back.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If it's gone you won't be able to jail break it.

I barely used the start menu on windows 7, I used to pin all the apps I use to the task bar. Windows 8 works pretty much the same way, but is quicker and looks nicer.

I can't wait for the start button to come back and for everyone to realise that they aren't getting the start menu back.

As long as it doesn't require restricted boot on x86 you will always be able to jailbreak it via a bootkit/bootloader hack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users