Mortal Kombat: Onslaught delisted less than a year after its release

Mortal_Kombat_Onslaught_cover_art.jpg

Yet another mobile game is being erased from history, as Warner Bros. Games and NetherRealm Studios announce that their title, Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, is being delisted from the Google Play and App Store. The game was released on October 17, 2023, and has already been made unavailable for download. Those who previously had the app downloaded will still be able to play the game until October 21st, with in-game purchases remaining available to players until August 23rd. This is yet another licensed mobile game being delisted after a very short run. According to a multitude of posts on LinkedIn, the game's shutting down is due to NetherRealms suffering a multitude of layoffs, especially to its mobile gaming division.

Despite the shutdown for Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, Warner Bros. states that both Mortal Kombat: Mobile and Injustice 2 Mobile will continue to be supported.

:arrow: Source

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be more concerned by the fact that older applications in one's purchase history is disappearing. I haven't gotten to use an Android OS based device for long periods of time to know if this happens there, but on iOS I have literally lost access to quite a handful of older applications in my application purchase history in the App Store, stuff that I have either utilized in some capacity or stuff I wanted to revisit, majority of which are 32-bit applications so only accessible with older devices. With the scarce if any information about many of these lost applications, the amount I lost and could list, many would think I was crazy, because literally stuff is being lost to time, I lost yet another application last week in my list, a game called Megatroid, it was the first and last Metroid / Mega Man clone to exist.

We really should check into this.

Reactions: EPgrouch

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beware of online only games no matter what the platform is. You are at the mercy of the game manufacturer and once you buy the game, you are on your own.
I bought NFS 2015 on the PSN Store ($1.99) and I really should play that as it's online-only (curse you, EA), but I'm enjoying NFS Underground 1 on my hacked PS4 so much more. Haha.

Reactions: Maximo101 and Quore

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I would be more concerned by the fact that older applications in one's purchase history is disappearing. I haven't gotten to use an Android OS based device for long periods of time to know if this happens there, but on iOS I have literally lost access to quite a handful of older applications in my application purchase history in the App Store, stuff that I have either utilized in some capacity or stuff I wanted to revisit, majority of which are 32-bit applications so only accessible with older devices. With the scarce if any information about many of these lost applications, the amount I lost and could list, many would think I was crazy, because literally stuff is being lost to time, I lost yet another application last week in my list, a game called Megatroid, it was the first and last Metroid / Mega Man clone to exist.

We really should check into this.

Yeah, a lot of people here don't realize the problem isn't just a piece of shovelware getting taken off the shelves, the real problem is publishers can and will delete your software that you paid for for any reason. Not just frivolous stuff like mobile games, but apps, tools, any piece of software, even if it's installed locally. How much of it is "always online" for DRM purposes, and how much of it will stop working forever once the publisher decides they can't be arsed to maintain it? Check your TOS.

Reactions: EPgrouch

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why do you ask questions for answers you already know?
I just saw the mental image, and it's not pretty...

Person : hi. I'd like to purchase 'skip the fight until the end' DLC, Kitana's kiss of death fatality and Sonia's thigh squeezing fatality, please. Oh, and the sexy female announcer
Store: sure. Would you like a babality as well? It's 80% off. :D
Person: eww... Who do you think i am? A pervert?

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I just saw the mental image, and it's not pretty...

Person : hi. I'd like to purchase 'skip the fight until the end' DLC, Kitana's kiss of death fatality and Sonia's thigh squeezing fatality, please. Oh, and the sexy female announcer
Store: sure. Would you like a babality as well? It's 80% off. :D
Person: eww... Who do you think i am? A pervert?
Why am I quoted for this?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, a lot of people here don't realize the problem isn't just a piece of shovelware getting taken off the shelves, the real problem is publishers can and will delete your software that you paid for for any reason. Not just frivolous stuff like mobile games, but apps, tools, any piece of software, even if it's installed locally. How much of it is "always online" for DRM purposes, and how much of it will stop working forever once the publisher decides they can't be arsed to maintain it? Check your TOS.
I actually contacted Apple directly about the issue, got in touch with one of the representatives a bit higher up, nice woman by the way, and she informed me that unfortunately this isn't uncommon, apparently Apple isn't the one pulling it out of the purchase history, it's apparently the developers of the applications pulling their stuff off from Apple's services entirely. Which part of me finds that hard to believe given the age of the applications, why all the sudden you know? I do know that newer applications get pulled from the purchase history as I did lose access to a much newer application that came out this year, literally only about a week after I grabbed it, sucker was gone. I feel there is more to it than developers pulling out, I think there might be some licensing related conflicts, something is expiring, etc.. warranting the disappearances. Regardless, it doesn't make the situation any better, and we still don't have a viable way to dump applications from the devices that work (literally every current solution either only strips the file system out or if an IPA is created, it's using proprietary means from the dumping software, scuffing the accuracy of the dumps entirely). I can't ding the woman if it turns out what she said was false, she's just told to do her job, have to make a living so, I took the information I could get and sat on it for a while.

• Sad
Reactions: Veho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: I remember you