More questions on 3dz and cia

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by NutellaSwirl, Dec 14, 2014.

1. NutellaSwirl
    OP

NutellaSwirl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    When using cia, how does the splitting of the space work? I have a 64gb micro card, but only a 4gb sd card, so I don't think 4gb would be enough for games I want to play online.
    When you are using cia, do you not have to worry about updates on eshop like 3dz?
    Also, does cia not use headers? I'm worried with 9.2 firmware support coming out, when more people will use 3dz with headers and nintendo will start banning.
    What happens when you get banned though? Do they ban your 3ds or you just lose the game and it's saves?

2. HBK

HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Mar 30, 2007
    Portugal
    Don't use CIA for games then. You can play games online fine with .3dz format on your mSD, only difference is you gotta bring up the loader using select instead of the game being on your home screen.

In your case (and mine, since we have identical storage space), use CIA for game updates and other stuff you can't get with the .3ds (or .3dz) format.

There are no reports of anyone getting banned.

3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The answer is obviously to buy a bigger SD card if you want to install full games as .cia.

I personally stick to using Gateway .3ds files for full retail games, and only use .cia (or .3dsx) for homebrew.

4. NutellaSwirl
    OP

NutellaSwirl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Canada
    Wait, I thought you cant play online with .3ds files though.

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    .3ds, .3dz - I mean I use the Gateway. I don't actually play online, I don't even have an internet connection set up on the console.