More People Are Streaming Netflix Than Watching Cable

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 2013, so you should all know what Netflix is. It streams television and films for a pretty good price, and it's the company that is resurrecting Arrested Development. What's not to love?

Well, the competition - That is, if you're working in Cable TV.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says subscribers watched four billion hours of streaming content in the last three months. Exciting for Netflix, not so much for the cable biz: According to one report, this all means more people are watching Netflix than cable TV.

Research firm BTIG (hat tip to HuffPo) totted up the numbers after reading Hasting’s Facebook post, noting that the four billion figure is a global one. But by assuming that say, 88% of the subscribers, about 28.1 million, are in the U.S., that translates into the average U.S. subscriber watching 87 minutes of content per day.

Richard Greenfield of BTIG tells HuffPo this is no small feat. “Netflix is now likely the most watched cable network, essentially in-line with the Disney Channel,” he said.
arrow.gif
Consumerist

Now, take heed - there's a good amount of speculation here, so take this with a grain of salt. Still, the numbers on Netflix are impressive no matter what, and I'm glad to see the service perform so well.

And no matter what their numbers are, I'm sure the cable networks won't be taking it well...

I recently joined the Netflix Master Race, and I have to say I'm loving the service. It's absolutely great, and I regret not hopping onboard sooner. I am sad to see Daft Punk proven more and more wrong with each passing year, but I suppose that's the price we pay for progress.

Netflix - Your Best Betflix (Eh? Eh? Call me if you're hiring.)

Reactions: jakeyjake

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Over the past three years, I've switched almost completely over from cable to Netflix. Netflix is what I want to watch, without commercials, and I can stream for only $8 a month. If I wanted DVD's, which I've had that part of their service in the past, it's very efficient. The turn around is as fast as it can possibly be with mailed goods, and the selection is incredible. I'm not at all surprised to see Netflix killing more traditional TV viewing services.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've gotta say I love Netflix, but the current catalog of series and movies in Finland is shit. I'd prefer to pay for something and get the complete series (How I met your mother, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, etc.), but currently the latest 2-3 series of pretty much all the new series are missing over here. I'm not sure about Stateside, but hopefully they'll get it worked out. Otherwise I'll be getting a VPN for US/Canada Netflix access..

TL;DR: Get Netflix. It's worth it if you don't want to record everything when it's aired or download when it's available.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, on my page theres a netflix ad.

But yeah, I love netflix. Not many movies I like, but ive been re-watching cartoons from my early childhood :D

Way better then Cable, if they could grab more high-rated shows and movies they could wipe it out all together.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have Netfix, but I only turn on my TV once a month, so it's pretty much expected.
Actually I don't think there's Netflix over here.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the means people view Netflix, via computers and game consoles, is likely to play a large role in where broadcasting and advertising agencies are going to start snooping their money-greased fingers around in.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm totally opposite. I've had Netflix for 2 years, and now I just got cable. Though, I am highly disappointed with cable. Netflix has spoiled me.

D

Deleted_171835

Netflix really is awesome. I pirate most of my shows but got a Netflix subscription because of the added convenience. Fringe, Prison Break, Arrested Development, Better off Ted and a bunch of other movies and shows that I haven't watched available with the click of a button was too much to resist.

On that note, Netflix USA >>> Netflix Canada. I started using a VPN to get the US Netflix and the selection is so much better there than on the Canadian one.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn! it looks like I'll be out of a job soon, LMAO! Seriously, I just use Cable for Wrestling, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. Everything I watch is on my Wii via seasonal downloads.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't even pay to use netflix, friend let me use his account and I just have it hooked up to all of my devices. I watch it a lot, hell I haven't watched cable TV since the series finale of FlashForward. Not having commercials is total win, it keeps you engaged in the show a lot more.

My only gripe is they need A LOT more stuff on Netflix (At least here in Canada). I want to watch Seinfeld, not on netflix for one example. They also need to get newer seasons of shows faster.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watch Netflix via the Wii and my 3DS. More convenient than cable and no time wasted on commercials for shit you don't care about. Cable is WAY overpriced for what you get in service and tax/fees, even the basic package.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1