More People Are Streaming Netflix Than Watching Cable

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's 2013, so you should all know what Netflix is. It streams television and films for a pretty good price, and it's the company that is resurrecting Arrested Development. What's not to love?

Well, the competition - That is, if you're working in Cable TV.

[​IMG] Consumerist

Now, take heed - there's a good amount of speculation here, so take this with a grain of salt. Still, the numbers on Netflix are impressive no matter what, and I'm glad to see the service perform so well.

And no matter what their numbers are, I'm sure the cable networks won't be taking it well...

I recently joined the Netflix Master Race, and I have to say I'm loving the service. It's absolutely great, and I regret not hopping onboard sooner. I am sad to see Daft Punk proven more and more wrong with each passing year, but I suppose that's the price we pay for progress.

Netflix - Your Best Betflix (Eh? Eh? Call me if you're hiring.)

jakeyjake likes this.

2. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    I am guilty. I almost never watch cable except for the weekly Walking Dead when it's in season.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Over the past three years, I've switched almost completely over from cable to Netflix. Netflix is what I want to watch, without commercials, and I can stream for only $8 a month. If I wanted DVD's, which I've had that part of their service in the past, it's very efficient. The turn around is as fast as it can possibly be with mailed goods, and the selection is incredible. I'm not at all surprised to see Netflix killing more traditional TV viewing services.

4. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    I've gotta say I love Netflix, but the current catalog of series and movies in Finland is shit. I'd prefer to pay for something and get the complete series (How I met your mother, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, etc.), but currently the latest 2-3 series of pretty much all the new series are missing over here. I'm not sure about Stateside, but hopefully they'll get it worked out. Otherwise I'll be getting a VPN for US/Canada Netflix access..

TL;DR: Get Netflix. It's worth it if you don't want to record everything when it's aired or download when it's available.

5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Netflix sucks :tpi:

tbgtbg likes this.
  6. MasterPenguin

MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Canada
    People watching things online instead of on their tv?

Let's blame it on piracy.

7. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    lol, on my page theres a netflix ad.

But yeah, I love netflix. Not many movies I like, but ive been re-watching cartoons from my early childhood :D

Way better then Cable, if they could grab more high-rated shows and movies they could wipe it out all together.

8. nachoscool

nachoscool Outer Heaven Janitor Rank Z

Jun 30, 2012
    United States
    8 Mile
    Am I the only one who still doesn't have Netflix?

9. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Evidently... yes.

nachoscool, Brian117 and Ergo like this.
  10. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    I don't have Netfix, but I only turn on my TV once a month, so it's pretty much expected.
    Actually I don't think there's Netflix over here.

11. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    It's pretty much Netflix + other online streaming for me.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    What are you talking about? Hulu with commercials for $8/month plus Blockbuster Online is the best combination out there, along with paying for Xbox Live!

13. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    And the means people view Netflix, via computers and game consoles, is likely to play a large role in where broadcasting and advertising agencies are going to start snooping their money-greased fingers around in.

14. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Well, I'm totally opposite. I've had Netflix for 2 years, and now I just got cable. Though, I am highly disappointed with cable. Netflix has spoiled me.

15. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Netflix really is awesome. I pirate most of my shows but got a Netflix subscription because of the added convenience. Fringe, Prison Break, Arrested Development, Better off Ted and a bunch of other movies and shows that I haven't watched available with the click of a button was too much to resist.

On that note, Netflix USA >>> Netflix Canada. I started using a VPN to get the US Netflix and the selection is so much better there than on the Canadian one.

16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Damn! it looks like I'll be out of a job soon, LMAO! Seriously, I just use Cable for Wrestling, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. Everything I watch is on my Wii via seasonal downloads.

17. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I don't even pay to use netflix, friend let me use his account and I just have it hooked up to all of my devices. I watch it a lot, hell I haven't watched cable TV since the series finale of FlashForward. Not having commercials is total win, it keeps you engaged in the show a lot more.

My only gripe is they need A LOT more stuff on Netflix (At least here in Canada). I want to watch Seinfeld, not on netflix for one example. They also need to get newer seasons of shows faster.

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I don't have cable, so yeah I pretty much only use Netflix and Hulu Plus myself

19. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    I watch Netflix via the Wii and my 3DS. More convenient than cable and no time wasted on commercials for shit you don't care about. Cable is WAY overpriced for what you get in service and tax/fees, even the basic package.

20. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL