Hacking Moonshell2 for R4 by FairyWings

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
so why would we want this over ysloader?
The main selling point for this version is that it can load cheats from the Moonshell firmware without loading into Ysmenu first. You hover over a DS rom file in the menu and press start to bring up the menu, you'll see cheats as an option there, and you can view them from there. You can use Narin's database. I don't think it actually uses ysmenu to load the games either, but either DSTT or R4 firmware, depending on your flavor. When loading games, it looks nicer and more official than ysloader as well. Just feels more like it's a real firmware now. I don't think you need Ysmenu at all to load this. Doesn't seem to use it whatsoever.

Normmatt was right on both accounts. I managed to fix the language by putting his files in. Thanks very much! And the cheats worked too after deleting that Placeholder file in the cheat editor. So thanks for that too. Works great now, and looks pretty to boot! Thanks for the entire package Normmatt!
biggrin.gif

By the way, what version of TTDS is this using? I'm also not sure what moonshell version this is, on the bootup, it says moonshell 2 beta 5, which is oldish from what I can remember. Not sure if he's changed that in a while though...

EDIT- definitely not using the DSTT a07 firmware or whatever it's called. I'm not sure if you just swap out the DSTT system files either, which I doubt. As it is, I'm doubtful that we can call it a fully working firmware on the DSTT end since many games do not work. Might be best to stick with Ysloader if you can make that one a newer firmware.

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Omg whoever made this is a genius. I've always wanted cheat support for moonshell. Some of my games won't work though. What is the main site of this. For some reason, my cheats are not english, and how do i remove the place holder thing?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cheats should be in English if you downloaded the cheat file from GBAtemp's cheat database and replaced the one in the moonshell folder with it. Just make sure to open it in R4CCE and delete the placeholder part (top of the game list). I'm pretty sure the default cheats that come with the package are in Chinese or something.

jestr7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After converting MS2 into english, i tried to use it but now it wont load up any games....what did i do wrong??
cry.gif

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
If you have an original R4, move r4ms2, moonshl2, and _DS_Menu to the Root of your flashcart. Done!

i did that, and moonshell gives me an application halted.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
I am r4ymond said:
If you have an original R4, move r4ms2, moonshl2, and _DS_Menu to the Root of your flashcart. Done!

I think I know the reason why, but here's one question - Did your R4 even start and went to the Menu where you wanted to play games?

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never mind i got it to load, but i wish that it doesn't use the OLD moonshell 2 and use 2.05. i can't even change the skins.

and its kinda slow.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu...unless Fairy Wings fixed the problems in Moonshl2 (some errors) and yeah...then I'll be picking Moonshl 2. Moonshl 2 was good though. I had an error with the Cheats. Moonshl2 loaded the cheats perfectly, but when I wanted to select some cheats, I pressed "A" then it froze on me. I restarted my NDSL and then it says "Application Halted! Recovery Method: Format your card"

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I just got it. And I like it lmao. You can Soft Reset in this which is good since you can't in YSmenu. Games run smoothly. C.O.P The Recruit doesn't work though. I think I am going to keep this firmware on my R4 and use it instead of YSMenu. GTA doesn't work unless you use that cheat which isn't a problem.

Pretty weird but Soft Reset, doesn't work when its enabled but if its disabled it works. Lmao.

EDIT: Just tryed out Kingdom Hearts. Works but has a problem. When you whach a cut scene its has this little gray bar there. Its like when you turn on your TV and have no signal you get that static noise and that gray shit. Same thing here except no static noise and only the buttom half has the gray thing.

EDIT 2: Rebooted the DS loaded KH again and the cut-scenes work without that glitch anymore.

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Im probably going to stay with Moonshell and YSLoader combo because I only use cheats for AP bypasses and YSMenu has better rom compatibility but I would like to know if this is faster too boot games which is what really bugs me about my current method, also does it get rid of the error messages when you boot up the DS? By the way im using an original R4

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually this firmware has good Rom Compatibility as well. All games that I tried on it worked. Except C.O.P the Recruit which doesn't work on YSmenu too.

outcast22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
basher11 said:
I am r4ymond said:

I think I know the reason why, but here's one question - Did your R4 even start and went to the Menu where you wanted to play games?
I tried adding all above onto a reformatted card with no success. Just an error screen. Do I need additional files or did I miss something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1