Homebrew Moonshell 2.07 Ysloader doesn't work

laxman0220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, if you didn't know, there is a new version of moonshell(moonshell 2.07). The thing is, you can't load roms anymore with the moonshell2/ysmenu combo. I think we need a new ysloader. Normmatt has a fix for it, but I don't know if he's going to share it
frown.gif

This other guy knows how to do it too, but he doesn't want to tell pirates how to keep pirating.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, its not really the YSloader that is broken, its just that something in Moonshell2 was "fixed".

From the changelog (the original and a line from the Japanese one, sent through Google translate)
QUOTE said:
When consumer NDSROM file is executed, the error message is displayed. It doesn't stop.
Fixed GBALdr NDSROM commercially aware and wrong.

Pretty much, something with moonshell has be fixed so when commercial roms are executed, the error message displays.

laxman0220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to disable that error message? Or we have to make moonshell think commercial roms are homebrew, which is unlikely.

Am I the only one that cares about this?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, you might be the only one that cares xD. There isn't a way to disable the message (unless you can hack moonshell2 o.0 though I'm guessing only Normatt can do that as of right now). Since we don't (at least I don't) actually even know how moonshell can tell apart commercial roms from homebrew, we can't really trick moonshell.
My method really is just so the homebrew stuff I have doesn't have any problems with moonshell (although its only a precaution, since I've only found PPSEDS to have that problem) because it doesn't allow for the usage of cheats (since homebrew stuff don't have cheats). I'll give a hint, though I'm still not going to say how outright.

Since you look on the post I referred to earlier, you have to realize that a text file by any other name has the same stuff inside. Something like,
QUOTE said:
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
-Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare

supercarte

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Maybe you'll can use YSmenu if you delete the extlink/_hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds file. This file is the new NDS homebrews launcher.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
supercarte said:
Maybe you'll can use YSmenu if you delete the extlink/_hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds file. This file is the new NDS homebrews launcher.
That actually won't do anything. Extlinks directly naming filetypes seem to hold priority over ones that don't (nds.ysloader.nds vs _hn,HugeNDSLoader.nds). I tried loading homebrew files with both the ysloader and the moonshell loader and it loaded via ysmenu. Then I tried it with just the moonshell loader and a couple of the homebrew failed to work. I wish the moonshell loader had more compatibility.

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I know jurassicplayer is having a lot of fun with this, but I can't think why this needs to be kept all hush hush.
I use Moonshell to launch my ROMS, and I can't say I was pleased to see this 'fix'. So, I found a simple way around it, which I guess is what is being referred to. This is what I did:
  • Renamed any .nds files that no longer launch (which, by the way, includes a couple of homebrew titles). I changed them to .ds, but you could use anything as long as it matches with the next part.
  • Changed the name of the file found in the extlink folder that passes .nds files on to YSMenu: from nds.YSloaderForMS2.nds to ds.YSloaderForMS2.nds
  • Went back to getting on with my life.
You can leave off the third step if you like...

Oh and be aware that if you want to launch from within YSMenu for things like cheats, you won't be able to rename the file. I suppose you could have two copies of the ROM: one with .nds for when you're in YSMenu, and one with .ds for Moonshell. They would both refer to the same save file as far as I know.

Finally, there is one downside to this. You will no longer get a unique icon for your ROMS; you'll have to put up with the generic file icon instead.

798-Icebird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Airth said:
OK, I know jurassicplayer is having a lot of fun with this, but I can't think why this needs to be kept all hush hush.
I use Moonshell to launch my ROMS, and I can't say I was pleased to see this 'fix'. So, I found a simple way around it, which I guess is what is being referred to. This is what I did:
  • Renamed any .nds files that no longer launch (which, by the way, includes a couple of homebrew titles). I changed them to .ds, but you could use anything as long as it matches with the next part.
  • Changed the name of the file found in the extlink folder that passes .nds files on to YSMenu: from nds.YSloaderForMS2.nds to ds.YSloaderForMS2.nds

Oh and be aware that if you want to launch from within YSMenu for things like cheats, you won't be able to rename the file. I suppose you could have two copies of the ROM: one with .nds for when you're in YSMenu, and one with .ds for Moonshell. They would both refer to the same save file as far as I know.

Finally, there is one downside to this. You will no longer get a unique icon for your ROMS; you'll have to put up with the generic file icon instead.

TNX
bow.gif
biggrin.gif

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Airth said:

Thats a hack mine requires no renaming.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
+1 Airth, you can think xD (The world isn't a lost cause afterall). It's not so much that I'm having fun though (Generally I help with moonshell2 issues because getting thanks is better than people pissed off at me), but I seem to support Moonlight first (surprised myself when I was posting xD).

Though maybe a +3 for Normmatt xD (you just can't beat people that have coding experience it seems, maybe one day I should try and learn it...).

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Normmatt said:
Thats a hack mine requires no renaming.

I respect and applaud your more elegant solution. If you ever wish to share it, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll continue hacking.

QUOTE(jurassicplayer @ Nov 15 2009, 07:30 PM) It's not so much that I'm having fun though (Generally I help with moonshell2 issues because getting thanks is better than people pissed off at me), but I seem to support Moonlight first (surprised myself when I was posting xD).

Respect to you also, jurassicplayer. You may have been beating around the bush, but at least it was with a certain wit. And fair play for supporting Moonlight; he's managed to produce a superb piece of software and kept it freely available. Perhaps in this case he's only doing what he thinks is right, or perhaps he's mindful of the fact we all live in the shadow of big old Nintendo over here in Japan.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do believe that most homebrew software is identified by a four-character tag 'PASS'. Or they used to be back when people used slot 2 carts for DS homebrew and games.
In any case, if that tag is changed to 'PASS', commercial games should work (in theory).

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Airth said:

Rename nds to ds?
but why do it Load normal homebrew games or apps that ends whit .nds ?
and don`t load commercial roms?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
coolness said:
Airth said:

Rename nds to ds?
fix your grammar.
if you rename it to .ds it doesnt read it as .nds which moonshell 2.07 fixed.in theory as long as it doesnt end in .nds it would load.
homebrew roms dont have proper game titles(or something lke that,its XXXX/####)so as long as moonshell2(or loader)reads it as XXXX/#### it would load.
moonlight does not like using his moonshell to load commercial roms

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
lolzed said:
coolness said:
Airth said:

Rename nds to ds?
fix your grammar.
if you rename it to .ds it doesnt read it as .nds which moonshell 2.07 fixed.in theory as long as it doesnt end in .nds it would load.
homebrew roms dont have proper game titles(or something lke that,its XXXX/####)so as long as moonshell2(or loader)reads it as XXXX/#### it would load.
moonlight does not like using his moonshell to load commercial roms

That is stupid
no commercial Roms
This must be hacked
tongue.gif

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Laughs at ingrate above.

No seriously commercial roms were never supported my moonlight so why should he now. Ysmenu allowed commercial rom running since moonlight probably never anticipated .nds extlink file allowing commercial rom loading. It was always supposed to be this way. Sure it could be hacked but then no more moonshell updates.

You have two options 1) downgrade to an older moonshell 2 or 2) use your flashcart's normal menu

GET OVER IT.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I also wonder about this issue(not problem) and have asked to moonlight. Then it have found out that it is de-fact ban of nds.*.nds for commercial roms. (He also says that he thought of killing extlink when ysloader appeared.)
So I've made a workaround.
Firstly, write a homebrew loader which has the filename to launch as literal and that to load in INI. Then overwrite the filename part using Desktop application (and copy icon).
Now the loader have rom filename inside. Launching the loader will launch what was extlink, then commercial rom starts up.
I call this ndslink method as it links between MoonShell2 and loader in alternative method.

Flow chart:
MoonShell2
ndslink: write following to moonshl2/extlink.dat: loader(nds.*.nds) in INI, target as literal
loader: read moonshl2/extlink.dat then launch target (loader thinks ndslink as MoonShell2
smile.gif

target (can be commercial rom)

the ndslink is about 120KB so kind to your microSD
smile.gif

Tested with "LEC book keeping 3rd grade", which was distributed in LEC building.

If you are interested plz PM to me.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so i will stick with moonshell 2.06 from now on... renaming ROMs can give some headache later on

is moonshell opensource? can someone just fix that small part of the program and upload it here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.