Monster Hunter: World ships 5 million units on launch weekend

MonsterHunterWorld-5-1.jpg

Capcom's Monster Hunter is turning into a monster hit, as the latest title in the series, Monster Hunter: World has reportedly shipped over 5 million units over its launch weekend. While number shipped only means digital copies sold + physical copies sent to retailers, this is the most successful debut for the Monster Hunter franchise, and brings series lifetime sales up to 45 million units. While there are no exact sales numbers, World is topping the UK sales charts as well, and we'll be sure to see how well the game is doing in Japan when @T-hug does the weekly Media Create sales chart thread.

You can also read GBAtemp's official review of the game, linked below, where reviewer @MajinCubyan explains what makes the game so good, and gives it one of the highest scores GBAtemp has given to a game!

:arrow: GBAtemp Official Review
:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what makes this game so popular? I mean I haven't seen a game this popular from capcom since Resident evil 4, or street fighter 2. Just why is the game such a best seller for capcom? :unsure:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So what makes this game so popular? I mean I haven't seen a game this popular from capcom since Resident evil 4, or street fighter 2. Just why is the game such a best seller for capcom? :unsure:
Monster Hunter outside the portable market.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what you mean, but thanks for trying. :blink:

Oi... Exactly what I said..

Most mainline Monster Hunter games have been primarily on portable consoles. The PSP/3DS.. With but a select few making it to the home consoles. WiiU and some weird Japanese only MMO (?) and Japan only HD rereleases..

Or are you referring to Monster Hunter as a whole?

Last edited by Kioku,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oi... Exactly what I said..

Most mainline Monster Hunter games have been primarily on portable consoles. The PSP/3DS.. With but a select few making it to the home consoles. WiiU and some weird Japanese only MMO (?) and Japan only HD rereleases..

Or are you referring to Monster Hunter as a whole?
Yes I was referring to it as a whole, thanks for further explaining that. So is the game a MMO or not? Aren't those games like for pc? :unsure:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The basic premise of the game is.

Fantasy medieval, or medieval as imagined by Japanese game devs world.
In said world are giant monsters which need killing. The killing is not quite dark souls complex and unforgiving but it is quite far from mash attack, occasionally dodge and chug health potions of many other games. A variety of different styles of combat are typically available too.
Said world is huge and has many secrets.
Also to kill said monsters you are going to want to craft your own weapons using things you obtained from other monsters.

Some are online/multiplayer affairs, some are single player, some are portable, some are not. Co-op of a sort, or at least it is possible to play it as a co-op game, also features.

Such a setup is a sure fire way to find me interested (I have played games based on any one of those, combine a couple and it is a rare treat), and I dare say most would say it is not a concept with niche appeal.

In every case up until now they bored me and quite a few others really very hard, as you can probably see in any thread on monster hunter on the forums. This tended to be reflected in the sales of the games and their willingness to release them outside Japan. It clicked for some people though and thus it gained a cult following, said cult following also getting kind of vocal about it at times.
Trying to pin down what caused the problems also proved quite difficult for many, myself included, as nothing was fundamentally broken. Just a case of so much less than the sum of its parts. In my case I tried so many ways to get it to click -- playing, powering though, late stage saves, cheats, videos, main quests, side quests (of which there are plenty), just messing around in the world, and it just did not want to become something I could sink time into.

There was some minor change on the 3ds but if I had to assess it then the changes were what they thought they should do rather than sitting down and analysing what needs doing.
I have still yet to play this but going by what others in similar positions to me have said then this time they analysed what needed doing and actually did it. On the matter of said cult following be careful about reading things on the forums as they may try to claim vindication at last where I am not sure it is suddenly the world realised its greatness and more something that was there with the potential actually managed to realise it.

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sadly enough.

Frontier I believe is the only MMO Monster Hunter. The rest are played in a 4 man team. So, no, not all of them are MMOs.

Actually, no. MH Frontier and Frontier G works exactly as the main series with parties up to 4 players, but you have to be online always.

Last edited by thewarhammer,
Reactions: AutumnWolf

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Actually, no. MH Frontier and Frontier G works exactly as the main series with parties up to 4 players, but you have to be online always.
Really? Well, there you go. I assumed there were party aspects, but didn't realize they kept it the same.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A good mix of digital sold and retail sold, we'll see if it gets to sell 5M or 7M, deserves it. And waiting the PC versión.
Assuming Capcom does something right this time around.. We don't need another half assed, bug filled port.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm the same, although I am tempted to just go ahead and get the console version, fall 2018 is quite a wait.

A friend of mine really starves to get that game and she doesn't have a PS4... I have one and even though she lives about 200 miles away from my place, she can access my PS4 via Remote Play just fine.

I'm not that interested in the game, but maybe I'd buy it if she pays half the price and I let her play it whenever she likes until the PC version is out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1