Hardware Monitor Repair

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in a local Goodwill store today, and I found a Samsung 206bw 20.1" monitor. It was 24.99 but had a note that said it boots slow sometimes. I purchased it and bought new capacitors for it in an attemp to repair. I've got it all hooked up now and it seems to work fine, but I have one concern. The capacitors, which I bought at radio shack were the best I could find locally. They match the ones exactly that were in the unit except for one detail. The capacitors are rated at 85 C and when I opened the monitor the ones in place were rated at 105 C. Should I be worried that this will cause an issue in the future? If so I'll have to buy better and resolder everything. This monitor is in mint condition and I think I got a hell of a deal, as I'm setting it up as a secondary monitor for my desktop. Whoever got rid of it must of assumed it was dying. Thanks in advance for any opinions. :creep:

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure somewhere online. I just didn't know if there was any danger to the monitor in having the ones I got over the factory ones. I didn't even think those got that hot.

Edit: I figured the worst would be one would blow and I'd have to replace it again.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have Samsung SynchMaster 226BW monitor which died too. Samsung uses very bad capacitor which all die after three years.
It started by emitting an ultra sound from capacitors when I switch off the monitor (very annoying when you need to sleep :P).
I've checked where to find replacement, and I saw there were two different mother board with different capacitors.

I decided to open it to see the model of the mother board, but now the picture is flickering. So I bought another one instead of fixing it as I was in a hurry :P

But I'll repair it later as it's a good monitor.

You can find repair kit here:
Samsung 206

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Leave it as is. The temperature rating on there is their normally allowed temperature to achieve the guarenteed lifetime and function. If you use it in a hotter enviroment, they will die faster possibly 'instantly'. Seeing as the thing might get hot, you might need to replace them sooner rather then later. But in all probability, not extremely soon (the capacitors that were in there were simply rubbish and very cheap, these are probably fine). Personally pretty much only replaced with 105 caps but I could very well have used an 85er in one of the monitors I patched up. Can't say I ever felt the air around the monitor get that hot :P.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I figured. The monitor seems to be fine so I'm assuming the capacitors were the right fix. I guess it doesn't need a new pcb board. I think I did get a good deal because I noticed a faulty 206bw sell for 30-35 bucks, plus shipping on ebay. So I have a near new monitor and it only cost me a mere $27. Booyaa! Lol. Thanks guys :yay:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead