ModMii vs wii.guide

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
What's the best way to softmod the wii? I don't care about easy of use, I just wanna do my job as good as possible.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii, but I'm biased, lol

Wii.guide is good too, but it won't help u update IOSs, at least not without doing an official update, which could lead to 003 brick if the wii was previously poorly region changed and originally Korean. It also won't help u install a patched system menu IOS, which is necessary to play fakesigned wiiware that has been moved to the SD card. Modmii's system menu IOS and extra brick protection can also safeguard against official updates causing 003 bricks, or user error downgrading an LU64+ wii

Don't get me wrong, wii.guide is great, especially for users that don't have access to Windows to use ModMii

ModMii can also help u set up neek, build emulated nands, set up your hard drive for a usb loader, etc, some of which may also be covered by wii.guide I'm not sure

Last edited by XFlak,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best way to softmod the wii? I don't care about easy of use, I just wanna do my job as good as possible.
Both lead to the same thing, a modded system. But ModMii is much easier if you don't know what you're doing, just answer the questions and it'll generate the needed files for you..

RedP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii, but I'm biased, lol

Wii.guide is good too, but it won't help u update IOSs, at least not without doing an official update, which could lead to 003 brick if the wii was previously poorly region changed and originally Korean. It also won't help u install a patched system menu IOS, which is necessary to play fakesigned wiiware that has been moved to the SD card. Modmii's system menu IOS and extra brick protection can also safeguard against official updates causing 003 bricks, or user error downgrading an LU64+ wii

Don't get me wrong, wii.guide is great, especially for users that don't have access to Windows to use ModMii

ModMii can also help u set up neek, build emulated nands, set up your hard drive for a usb loader, etc, some of which may also be covered by wii.guide I'm not sure
Thanks for the response, I tried ModMii and I'm encountering a porblem:
1674148909179.png

This kinda keeps on looping, is this the server hosting the wad dying?

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
E: is path where you want to store results? Is it present in system now?

also path E:"\WAD\ looks weird, usually it's written like "E:\WAD\" or simply E:\WAD\ (notice where the quotes are)
nvm this, tho it's strange

Last edited by r1vver,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
And I just asked ModMii to get me 24957 of d2x-v10-beta52 and got it. So server side is ok.

Try to delete settings.bat in your <ModMii folder>\Support\ (with a closed program) and rerun it.
It will reset your settings.

Or in program - O (Options), R (Restore Default Settings), S (Save Settings). It's same.

Try to download everything with default path COPY_TO_SD/COPY_TO_USB (the result will be in the folders of the same name inside your <ModMii folder>). It seems to me that the problem is in this very E:"\

Last edited by r1vver,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
This is a known bug in 6.6.3 and mentioned in the first post in the modmii thread:

Workaround for a known bug in v 6.6.3 that is already fixed in the next update (which will hopefully be released soon)

XFlak said: On another note, I wanted to report a known bug in ModMii Skin. I've had maybe 4 people experience this issue and report it to me on discord. This bug only applies to modmii skin, and not modmii classic. Sometimes, if you enter your sd card drive letter in ModMii Skin, downloads will fail. If you use the default COPY_TO_SD or you use ModMii classic, there is no problem. I will investigate this when I have time and hopefully address it in the next update along with the other items in my ever-growing to do list :)
Edit: basically either use modmii classic, or if using modmii skin don't use a drive letter as your sd card or usb location setting

E: is path where you want to store results? Is it present in system now?

also path E:"\WAD\ looks weird, usually it's written like "E:\WAD\" or simply E:\WAD\ (notice where the quotes are)
nvm this, tho it's strange
This odd looking path with the quote in the middle is the telltale sign of this bug

Edit2: this is already fixed in my modmii beta, sorry it's taking so long! 95% of the work was done 6 months ago but the last 5% I need some help with and it's taking some time to work through it

Last edited by XFlak,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii is a nand backup tool which is part of the steps on Wii.Guide 🙄🤷🏽‍♂
Lol, nope, you're thinking of bootmii. Modmii is a Windows program that makes modding your wii super easy, and simplifies even the more complex wii related tasks like setting up neek and an emunand, and much more (and after my next update, much much much more!)

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, nope, you're thinking of bootmii. Modmii is a Windows program that makes modding your wii super easy, and simplifies even the more complex wii related tasks like setting up neek and an emunand, and much more (and after my next update, much much much more!)
Oh sh!t, you're right. Either way, Wii.Guide in my opinion is the better Wii softmod option.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
As someone that works on the wii.guide site and has helped XFlak, I can't say one or the other is better. They do different things. I feel that wii.guide is straightforward, but ModMii is well made and some people prefer it.

Reactions: XFlak and godreborn

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
-snip-

Edit2: also modmii's method has the added benefit of not needing wifi on the wii

Edit3: I'm often also asked why I say modmii is better than wii.guide in some ways, and this is a great example. Modmii will have u softmod your console without updating it using older exploits like bannerbomb, then update as described above. Whereas wii.guide (I think) tells users to do an official update to 4.3 then from there has everyone use the same exploits. Don't get me wrong, wii.guide is great especially for those without windows

Thought I'd add this here :)

here's a link to the full post

edit:

Here's another example, see bolded part at the end of my response
My friend wants to bring his burned GameCube games to my house, can I run them on my wii with only a softmod?
Only if your disk drive one of the older models that can read them. USB Loading is better anyway

If it is, you can load it using Nintendont and probably other tools. If you wanted to play it from the disk channel you would need to install a cMIOS, and possibly a patched system menu IOS (I don't remember if this is a requirement, but it is a standard practice in most guides).

You can use ModMii to help you get nintendont, cMIOS and a patched system menu IOS. Just be sure to enable the cMIOS option in the settings, but it's generally not recommended these days as backup disk loading & CMIOS is generally inferior to Nintendont.

Btw, you could just put his burned disks in your PC and convert\copy them to a USB and play them via USB. USB loading is faster and it's less wear and tear on your disk drive.

If you need help, use ModMii for all your softmodding needs. Or if you don't have windows, use wii.guide (but note wii.guide won't help you with a cMIOS or a patched system menu IOS)

here's a link to the full post

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: I'd like another 8 TB HDD yes thank you very much +1