ROM Hack Model Swapping in Soma Bringer?

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pioggia said:
Well this is great! thanks CP and darth for doing this ^^
Also, is there a way to change the char. display picture?

thanks ^^
There are a bunch of them. The ones in battle are layout\btl\HpmpKao##.obp (you) and layout\btl\pc##m.obp (party). There are others in menu\subface.img and menu\subfacem.img, which are just a bunch of obp files concatenated together. You can edit all of these in SomaPic, but you'd have to copy individual obps out of the .img files and copy them back in when you're done.

CPhantom

The Noob :(
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it seems like 705/714 will not work on any of the characters
frown.gif
I was really hoping that he could, but all the textures get garbled up when he is used. No clue why. Maybe Darth can tell or something? Haha
tongue.gif

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MISSING CHARACTERS

Ambicion
Fedelta
Ishtar
Eleos (In his holy clothes)
Viola

They don't seem to want to be working, haha.

other than that, Eleos in his darker outfit was just uploaded, and is working fine on Millers for sure :]

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They'll work on some characters. I don't have a list of working and non-working swaps though. Just test around for yourself if you'd like a different swap. Many should work though.

zebulunn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I wanted to replace Forte with another model, would I have to replace every Forte in the list (Forte2, Forte3 etc.) with multiple copies of what model I choose?
The guide didn't mention this.

azorpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
azormx.elbruto.es
XP
Country
Mexico
Why can't I swap eleos?

I tried swapping Jadis and Einsatz for his model but it didn't work. It did work for granada but I don't want him to have girly moves. Is there any male I can swap for eleos or am I stuck with having female moves?

Riiyuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that someone uploads a Rom with These swapped characters I'm totally In love with this game and would love to use other characters but I have no knowledge of how to do this lol, It would be awesome if someone could do that, thnx in advance. ^^

Zwataketa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I know this thread is really old, but I've gotten interested in Soma Bringer and want to get in on model swapping ... unfortunately, the link to "SomaTrans" is no longer functional. Can anyone help me out?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The somapatch program was just to allow people to use a WIP translation. The final patch was released after the fact (attached here as well, and includes patching program for Windows)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/soma-bringer-open-translation.78947/

Also in case you were unaware the folks over at archive.org mirror a lot of cool stuff on the internet and did so here ( https://web.archive.org/web/20101009153822/http://somatrans.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page ).

Also tweaked the opening post to be readable again, few of the photobucket images have since gone but many are there.

Anyway once you have the translation applied it is standard ROM unpacking/relinking/replacement. NDStool (and frontends like dsbuff and dslazy), crystaltile2, tinke, mkds course modifier... anything that will allow you to unpack the ROM and repack it after you have fiddled should do here.

There is a slightly more advanced technique called relinking that I don't think we have any simple tools for (it being the one thing the PSP has over the DS here as it is a fairly standard thing UMDgen gets used for) but if you fancy you can find the size and location values for the given file you want to replace and instead change those values to point at other file you wanted (not relative so should just be copy and paste). http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgenitroromandnitroarcfilesystems
Make sure you keep a copy of the original and original version of the translated ROM around during all this in case you mess something up.

Attachments

• SomaPatch.zip
    520.3 KB · Views: 236

Zwataketa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I honestly was not expecting a response, especially this quickly. ^^ One question I do have: Would it be possible to load the models into a program like, say, Blender so I can see each model rather than simply going through the list until I find the one I'm looking for? (in case there are any that could work aside from the listed in the OP post) Thanks for the help thus far ^^

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The options to import things into fancy programs is limited on the DS compared to some systems you might have seen, especially newer ones. Similarly I have not checked to see if these use the common nsbmd format or something more custom (most devs stuck with Nintendo formats after they arrived on the scene but not all did).

If the stuff in the opening post (I sorted it earlier so there are a few working images now) is not helping, or at least narrowing things down, and you only care about viewing it to determine what they contain then things like tinke will view textures pretty well if that helps, tools like mkds course modifier might also do good here, it is an older game so you might get nsbmd tool going on. I have not tried https://github.com/scurest/apicula but you might have some luck with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1