Hacking Modding a Wii worth it anymore?

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the recent US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement raids, Nintendo's mod-crippling system updates, and general unavailability of modchips in the USA, is it still worth the hassle and danger of modding a Wii?

Also, with the DCMA marking any modchip as illegal, playing backups of my own games just seems unrealistic.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my eyes, Only Time will tell my friend. If you mod and you do get bricked at least it's not like 400$ or 600$ down the drain (X360,PS3) R*I*P 360

I still plan to mod mine but I am going to be veryyyyyy careful about updates, especially this 3.0 even though It looks harmless.

Hope I helped...
smile.gif

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well.....

If my Wii every does happans to brick.I have a warrenty at bestbuy for 2 years. They dont even test the system they just give me a new one.(360/PS2).

Just buy a warrenty..Better then mailing it to Nintendo.

PuddingSenator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hate that I can't backup games I purchased and play them on a system I purchased because of the DCMA.

Oh come on...like that's what you were gonna use it for. Don't make me lulz.

There has never been a single person, in the history of the world, that has modded a console so that they can play legal backups of their own games...ever.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
PuddingSenator Posted Today, 01:17 AM
 QUOTE(lanleague @ Aug 11 2007, 11:10 PM)
I just hate that I can't backup games I purchased and play them on a system I purchased because of the DCMA.

There has never been a single person, in the history of the world, that has modded a console so that they can play legal backups of their own games...ever.

Actually, I modded out my PS1 to play backups of my Final Fantasy games and Breath of Fire games. Not to mention to play Japanese games like Dragon Ball Z Legends.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That's an overstatement right? Sure only 0.01% do it but there are some afterall...

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone is as ethically flexible as the next.

Ethics has nothing to do with it. When every level of government, business, health care, and utility companies are taking a chunk out of your ass with taxes, fees, licensing, misc service charges etc. then I say more power those who found out a way to save a buck. Those assembled here who don't live in our parents basement rent free (ie. not you) understand how hard it is to claw themselves a living and don't want to hear shit about how "if you can't afford it, don't do it." I got discretionary income, so I don't need to mod but I understand those that do.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't live in my parents basement rent free, and that doesn't mean I need to steal. I have taxes taken out of my paycheck just like everyone else, and I can't save all of my disposable income for videogames, but that's not a problem.

There aren't even 5 good games to buy for the Wii right now.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't live in my parents basement rent free, and that doesn't mean I need to steal. I have taxes taken out of my paycheck just like everyone else, and I can't save all of my disposable income for videogames, but that's not a problem.

There aren't even 5 good games to buy for the Wii right now.

I don't care who plays what with a MOD chip. But I will have to disagree with the fact that there "Aren't 5 good games out for the Wii".

Zelda
Resident Evil 4
Mercury Meltdown
Wii Sports
Monster 4x4
Rayman
Mario Strikers
Wing Island

I named 8 that are great titles.

biggrin.gif

But to answer your question. If I know now that our MOD chips could brick our Wii consoles anytime Nintendo puts out an update. No I wish I never put one in my system, I'm seriously thinking about opening it up and disconnecting my Wiikit.

Taras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that doesn't mean I need to steal.

It's not stealing and that's a dishonest manupulation of language.

The media companies push that line because it deprives them of a sale, but they force unfair legislation that screws the public so I'm happy to watch them get screwed back.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People support their families with the salary they make working on games. If the game gets pirated en masse then the company won't make enough profit to get its employees on staff.

That is, of course, if this were a more perfect world.

I don't know if the publisher keeps 95% of the profits like it is in the music industry.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone is as ethically flexible as the next.

Ethics has nothing to do with it. When every level of government, business, health care, and utility companies are taking a chunk out of your ass with taxes, fees, licensing, misc service charges etc. then I say more power those who found out a way to save a buck. Those assembled here who don't live in our parents basement rent free (ie. not you) understand how hard it is to claw themselves a living and don't want to hear shit about how "if you can't afford it, don't do it." I got discretionary income, so I don't need to mod but I understand those that do.
Amen to that shit!

You can't pay fucking taxes with "Guilt" and "Ethical Purity".

It's a dog-eat-dog world, n00bz.

n13astra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bottom line is Priracy will one day stop. Either the big companies will give up (HIGHLY unlikely) or they make games so cheap that there really is no need for piracy (HIGHLY LIKELY).

And if any of these doesnt happen, with current advances in encryption... The time it will take to crack or even find a bug in software to bypass the encryption will far out weigh any benefit.

Not only that, hardware wise as well... IC are becoming so small that soon enough it will all be inside the 1 IC. One thing ive never understood with consoles is why they don't use BGA (Ball Grid Array) ICs in the console, effectively stopping any "solder" mod chips in its tracks.

Lets face it, the days of mod chips and piracy are starting to end.

Taras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not only that, hardware wise as well... IC are becoming so small that soon enough it will all be inside the 1 IC.  One thing ive never understood with consoles is why they don't use BGA (Ball Grid Array) ICs in the console, effectively stopping any "solder" mod chips in its tracks.

Lets face it, the days of mod chips and piracy are starting to end.

im in ur console engineering ur BGAz

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
People support their families with the salary they make working on games. If the game gets pirated en masse then the company won't make enough profit to get its employees on staff.

That is, of course, if this were a more perfect world.

I don't know if the publisher keeps 95% of the profits like it is in the music industry.

Let me point out to everyone who hasn't noticed already, that you're a liar. Either you have a modded Wii and you play games that you didn't pay for, or you don't have a modded Wii because you think it's wrong. I guarantee it is one of the two, and either way you are a liar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since