Hardware Modchip installation failed... broken joy-con connector track

remars

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dear all,

Yesterday, I tried to install the RCM x86 modchip and unfortunately, I burnt the right joy-con track attached to the switch motherboard ribbon connector :'( the one marked with an arrow in the below thread, mine is slightly different from the Ararage one).

I tried to reply to the thread with the title "[question] Switch motherboard parts" because is the one that approach the most my issue , but as new user, I could not reply to it.

My switch is still booting and it's fully functionable excepts the physical joycon connection... That is not detected (nothing happens when I plug it).
I blame myself for this and I will definitively call a professionnal in my city in the future.

If someone of you already faced this issue and succeed to repare it by a bridge, or a connector replacement, your help is totally welcomed.

Gratefully yours
in-switch-simple-uf2-v092-disponible-2.jpg
Right joy-con connector track 2.jpg
Right joy-con connector track.jpg

Reactions: FXDX

FXDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
With a knife and a good magnifying glass, scratch gently in the two places marked by me, until you get the copper circuit. Then you give a good flux (amtech flux) and and with the soldering iron point a little tin. Then with a enameled copper wire, draw a route between the two points. Then clean with a little isipropyl alcohol. That way you solved the problem. You need to be careful and patient. I am sorry for my English...
You can get inspiration from here.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-repairing-damaged-or-lifted-pads-on-usb-c-port.559524/

Right joy-con connector track.jpg

Reactions: remars and ds34

remars

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello FXDX,
Wow, thank you son much for your detailed answer and for the scheme on the picture ! Your advices are really good.
It is true that I did not use any flux for the soldering and I am not so skilled...
That is why I burnt the track. I hope that the ribbon connector is still working.
I will give a try after ordering the flux you mentioned.

Thank you again ! Have a nice sunday.

Reactions: FXDX

remars

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello FXDX,
As I am not equiped with a good set of tools and without microwelding skills, I preffered to let the work to a professionnal.
I just hope that the little pad on the right is still usable for making the bridge as it looked really small.

Do you know by chance where this pad is going to on the motherboard ? In case I need to bridge the connector somewhere else.

Thank you very much for your previous answer on this thread.

engahmed1800

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello FXDX,
As I am not equiped with a good set of tools and without microwelding skills, I preffered to let the work to a professionnal.
I just hope that the little pad on the right is still usable for making the bridge as it looked really small.

Do you know by chance where this pad is going to on the motherboard ? In case I need to bridge the connector somewhere else.

Thank you very much for your previous answer on this thread.
Hi did u fix it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol