gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks!!!

but TheVirus, i have no programming knowledge (i can follow tutorials though)... is making your own WiiP going to require a pretty extensive knowledge of pic controlers (or whatever they are?) i do like the idea of open source though... but with the updating port, does that mean there will be a wire sticking out of my wii?

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cyclowiz does not allow imports, talk to someone who owns one, and nothing from the official site has ever said it would in the future.

Don't forgot to add to the list:

Has compatibility issues: X
Has Wii-bricking defects on some chips: X

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just bought the Wiinja for $33 shipped before I read this...
frown.gif

AustinS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you talking about compatibility problems with PAL games? From what I've heard it happends on wiinjas as well as cyclowiz. Also the update feature hasn't been proven for the wiikey or they cyclowiz so all I can do is assume the possibility exists until proven otherwise. Also i've never heard of any of the chips bricking a console. If it got bricked I'll chalk it up to user error.

AustinS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that site it says the wiinja has no "Direct Boot GC Homebrew" how can that be if GCOS IS Homebrew, and it runs

Does it Direct Boot? I was under the impression to maintain "true stealth" they all required a swap. I should probably add a check and put a footer that says swap is required. Can someone fill me in on the homebrew and the GC backups. Does homebrew and GC backups require swap disk? I'll change the chart as soon as I find out.

update possibility on cyclowiz is still unclear (and unlikely), should be stated in the chart.

mars77

The update possiblity hasn't been proven on the Wiikey either. Personally I don't know if either of them will be able to do it. I also don't know the usefulness of having DVD update especially if you can't upgrade if you have a new unsupported chipset. The components on the Wiikey PCB I've seen and the cyclowiz don't look much different to much. I mean the chips could be different but neither seem to have any kind of components to program then chip. Then again I will say I don't know much on that topic.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
are you talking about compatibility problems with PAL games? From what I've heard it happends on wiinjas as well as cyclowiz. Also the update feature hasn't been proven for the wiikey or they cyclowiz so all I can do is assume the possibility exists until proven otherwise. Also i've never heard of any of the chips bricking a console. If it got bricked I'll chalk it up to user error.

You really can chips bricking a console... bad flash

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why are you sad? That list is flawed. Nowhere does it mention Cyclowiz compatibility problems, or Cyclowiz's lack of wii imports.

Wiinja is still a good buy, especially for that price.

Thanks for the encouragement. I saw the list and a bunch of red X's and thought I made a bad decision. Looking forward to it now...
biggrin.gif

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The claim that the Cyclowiz is Upgradeable via DVD is advertised but has not been shown and some believe is not possible with the chip that is used. This claimed feature needs some sort of footnote.

It would be cool to link back the the home pages of the manufacture as well as add the other unreleased chips. Since there are so many chips coming out, it might be better to more clearly visually represent released, verified chips and features compared to announced and rumored chips and features.

Retail price range would be nice too.

If revised a bit, a table like this would be nice for people considering buying chips. That is if people didn't pre order chips based on unproven promised features and rumors or what they read on certain sites didn't pushing certain chips for $$$.

If only gbatemp had a wikki we could all pitch in on...

All that being said, I'm gonna play Zelda through another time and wait to see what happens over the next month. The wiip seems like the most promising option at the moment but I'm sure as hell not going to pre-order. I'm going to wait until a good site like this one reviews it and we see if the scene pitches in on the open source hardware and code.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Why are you sad? That list is flawed. Nowhere does it mention Cyclowiz compatibility problems, or Cyclowiz's lack of wii imports.

Wiinja is still a good buy, especially for that price.

Thanks for the encouragement. I saw the list and a bunch of red X's and thought I made a bad decision. Looking forward to it now...
biggrin.gif

i too just got a wiinja, im not regretting it. The wiinja is a temp modchip should last 4-8 months until a great modchip comes out, for its price i think its the perfect solution right now.

AustinS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can set it up wiki style but thought it could get out of hand and decided against it. If I had some promising volunteers I could give them access to edit it. I will take all suggestions into consideration. I have to get a better layout for the site so I can have a bigger table and include more modchips. I also want to wait till some actually get into the wild before adding anymore.

I will add links to manufacturers and price ranges also. Those are both obvious things that should be there that I haven't added. Thanks for reminding me

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than the link to wiikey being wrong ( http://www.wiikey.cm/ it needs to be . cN at the end ) it looks great.

If you break up the shipping, clones, and announced chips to different tables or pages, you can get away with the narrow template for now. You could make a super plain table while you work on getting the right info. I'm sure xboxscene didn't expect their chip page to have this much info when they started it.

Unless the Wiip kicks ass and kills the market for expensive, limited functionality DVD drive mods, there might be more chips than features to list in a couple of weeks if new chips and clones keep coming out so fast.

Thanks for putting the effort into this. I also want to thank you for starting a great discussion on Modchip bias.

updated with some of the suggestions. Take another look.

thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated