Mod-chips vs. Soft-modding

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Tybalt1212, May 3, 2009.

May 3, 2009
  1. Tybalt1212
    OP

Newcomer Tybalt1212 Member

Canada
    I've done a lot of reading, and people seem to have a lot of success with soft-modding - so what can mod-chips do that soft-mods can't? Is it just a reliability thing? Thanks in advance.

2. lilkerv90210

lilkerv90210 Newbie

as far as softmods go... i thunk its mainly a reliability issue.. if you hard mod your console then u dont have to worry about these problems.

if you decide to hard mod your wii i recomind the Drivekey, with this chip u dnt have to worry about sodering anything to your wii

3. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Drivekey and soft mods only allow half reading speeds off backups, whereas proper modchips allow full 6x reading (no slowdown in movies). Depending on your drive type and if you can fit a drivechip use a WiiClip and it will be a doddle.

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    a chip will always work, you won't have to worry about wii system software updates.

5. superbob

Member superbob GBAtemp Regular

France
    Since you open your console with hardmod (drivekey or modchip) you loose your warranty.
    With softmod it depends, if you read this http://hackmii.com/2009/04/warranty/, it's said nintendo make you pay (210€) if you intall softmod and send the console for repair, but it's also said that they (hackmii) will try, with bootmii, to make an undetectable soft mod, so nintendo couldn't see if it's installed or not, and then you would keep your warranty (I'm still wondering how they'll do that ...).
    Also hardmod need to open the console, sold things, ... everybody (for ex me) cannot do that. (You can use Drivekey or Wii-Clip stuff but you still need to open the Wii)