Homebrew mkv to DPG convert with subtitles, moonshell2 help?

stealthfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm trying to convert some anime to DPG format for use on moonshell 2. I used the DPG converting program bundled with moonshell. Unfortunately, the anime is in .mkv format with softsubs and the softsubs apparently are not encoded in with the DPG video.

Is there a way to make it so that it can also convert softsubs into the video?

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
If no-one comes up with a direct conversion method (does Super support softsubs?), you could try a two part convert....first to mp4 using something like this (google has more, this is just the first I found)...the use the dpgenc.exe from Moonshell to convert from mp4 to dpg.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You could hardsub the video, I think virtualdubmod might work for adding hardsubs, and then (from what I understand of your post) it seems that the dpgtools can convert .mkv, never done it myself, so maybe that could solve your problems.

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use MKVExtractGUI to extract the subtitles from the MKV.

Using BatchDPG, select the input media file as the MKV, and the subtitle file as the one you extracted earlier.

Should be as easy as that.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ashxu said:
Huh? I am watching Gurren Lagann on my DS everyday, with subs.
Was your video file hardsubbed by the fansub o.0?

QUOTE(velocity37 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:29 AM) Use MKVExtractGUI to extract the subtitles from the MKV.

Using BatchDPG, select the input media file as the MKV, and the subtitle file as the one you extracted earlier.

Should be as easy as that.
um...having softsubs means he doesn't need to extract subtitles, they are already a separate file o.0 (.srt, .sub/.idx, .ssa)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer, MKV is a container format, meaning that it usually includes the softsubs inside the .mkv file itself. Thus, extracting the subs makes perfect sense.

stealthfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The soft subs are already in the mkv files. I have mkvmerge, does that help in anything?
Anyway, the converter that came with moonshell (dpgenc.exe) successfully converted the mkv video, but did not convert the softsubs.

So I have to either:
Hardsub the video and then convert with the DPG converter provided with moonshell 2
OR
Extract the softsubs and then use batchDPG?

I haven't gotten batchDPG yet, but does it work with moonshell2? The thread for batchDPG is apparently outdated.

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BatchDPG should work with Moonshell 2, as I see it referenced in the FAQ thread.

mkvmerge is a tool included with the MKVtoolnix set, which should also include mkvextract. MKVExtractGUI just makes the process much easier, especially if one is unfamiliar with using command-line utilities. AVI-Mux GUI should work for extracting streams from MKV files too, if for some reason you have troubles.

Another option you have is using AVISynth in conjunction with the proper DirectShow filters. This would only work if the Moonshell 2 DPG converter supports AVS files as a source.

What you would need as prerequisites is having AVISynth installed and all of the codecs/splitters/etc required for proper playback. Basically, this would just come down to installing AVISynth and the Combined Community Codec Pack. You would have to configure the filters in such a way that the files play perfectly in Windows Media Player (set default language selection for audio and subs).

After that you make a text file with the following:
DirectShowSource("c:\anime\weeaboo.mkv")

Save that as a file with a .avs extension. Opening that file, you should find that the video stream matches that of what you would find playing the MKV file directly in Windows Media Player, and is ready to neatly transcode to DPG.

There are probably other frameserving solutions you can use as well, so you can transcode to DPG on-the-fly instead of an intermediate format (likely with loss).

Really though, having to go through all this hassle is why I mentioned extracting the subs and using BatchDPG, because it's the easiest solution I can think of. Give it a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...